Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Cross Trek owners,
I just bought my Cross Trek at the end of January and had the Subaru hitch as part of the order. The hitch is on back order and is not installed yet. After reading some post's regarding the Subaru hitch I am second guessing if I should proceed with the Subaru hitch, or cancel the order and go with an after market hitch. I primarily ordered the hitch so I can put my Thule 990 bike rack on the back of my Cross Trek.
Any input or opinions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Reactions: studly

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't get it from Subaru. They charge way too much. They even recommended going to UHaul to get a hitch but I wanted something with more ground clearance.
So I went with Ecohitch. They're on sale now too. That combined with the 1Up bike rack is a great combo.

1UpUSA.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's what I installed:

20160208_095738.jpg

I bought the Curt class 1 hitch from Amazon. Ordered it on a Sunday, and somehow it was on my doorstep by noon the next day via Amazon Prime. Went on fairly easily, and in my opinion is the best hitch for the price. Paid under $105 for it on sale, and I decided to rough it up with 60 grit sandpaper and then spray it with a coat of 3M underbody liner. This will keep it rust-free easily & the finish more closely matches the trim on my XV and is not glossy. My favorite part of the hitch is the heavy duty chain mounts. They are made from cut steel and not welded U-shaped rods. In my previous experiences, welded U-shape rods will bend or possibly break if you have a trailer come disconnected.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VXTR6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just bought my Cross Trek at the end of January and had the Subaru hitch as part of the order. The hitch is on back order and is not installed yet. After reading some post's regarding the Subaru hitch I am second guessing if I should proceed with the Subaru hitch, or cancel the order and go with an after market hitch. I primarily ordered the hitch so I can put my Thule 990 bike rack on the back of my Cross Trek.
Here's my take.

Towing a trailer?
Skip OEM, pricy.
Get a UHaul. It hangs below bumper, and probably easier to attach the chains, and won't wreck your bumper if the safety chains ever have to get used. 1.25" only, but that's fine as the Crosstrek isn't rated to tow more.

Bike rack strictly? Especially MTB?
Skip OEM, pricy.
Get the TorkLift hidden. You can get 1.25" or 2" to suit your preferred back rack. I went 2" for better stability.

When no hitch, can plug hole and look like stock, no ground clearance loss if you frequently travel forest roads to trailheads.
Higher hitch clearance to preserve departure angle, if you again, travel forest roads to trailheads.
2" is stronger and more stable over rough roads.

IMG_2328.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Afternote: See this later post in this link below for more detailed explanation why Subaru hitch provides much better safety
http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/utility-protection/90337-trailer-hitch-after-market-subaru-3.html#post1191170

Probably the only reason anyone would consider the expensive OEM alternative is the safety reason of the OEM not affecting the crumple zone. The after market ones actually have steel structural angle sections bolted to the crumple zone which end up stiffening the crumple zone so that they can't crumple fully as designed. So depends on whether you want to pay the premium to retain the full capability of the crumple zone for use in rare instance of a bad accident.

Normally, those who choose the OEM version are those who have kids to carry around in their XV and had bought the XV, in the first place for its reputation for safety.

See this you tube explanation

·
Registered
298 Posts
Although the Torklift product costs quite a bit more, all the other options hang below the rear bumper valance and will reduce the exit angle clearance of the Crosstrek. The OEM hitch is the worst with the chain attachment points hanging way down(ridiculous). I for one bought this car over a lower Impreza due to the added clearance and I'm willing to pay extra to not reduce it, and also to have the receiver out of sight. Sure, attachment of the trailer safety chains may require a little more effort but that's a small price to pay in my opinion. If you are considering the Ecohitch you might want to act on it during the current sale ($25 off) which expires the 14th of this month (Feb).

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also have the Curt hitch and recommend it. I bought it through Autoanything for $96 shipped.

I installed the Curt hitch for hauling our Kuat Bike rack. I have now installed 4 Curt hitches on 4 different vehicles and had it down to 30 minute install on the Crosstrek. It is easy and straightforward.

It does not effect ground clearance, since it sits higher than the rear diff, as others mention. It effects the departure angle, which is 27.7 degrees without hitch, because the receiver sticks out some. I would have to measure it to find out what it is actually with the hitch on. But the only times that I have taken the Crosstrek off the road was with the bike rack on so I could get further back on the Forest Service roads and I had no issue with the departure angle.

In short, go with whatever AFTERMARKET hitch you want and install it yourself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Me too on the 2" Curt hitch. Drove my car home from the dealership and installed it by myself in 30-45 minutes. I did the drilling from the top side and it was really easy. It's departure angle hasn't been an issue for me on a couple areas that hang up my Outback. Quite pleased.

IMG_1214.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the TorqueLift in 2" and find it worth the additional cost and trouble of mounting it. At the same time I mounted it I replaced the stock muffler with a single inlet, dual outlet Magnaflow for an older model Pontiac Firebird. This MagnaFlow muffler is smaller than the stock one and thus there is no problem mounting the TorqueLift hitch. I chose the one with dual outlets and ran an stainless steel exhaust tip on each side.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone use the ecohitch with the Thule Vertex 2 bike rack? If so, any clearance issues with the stinger hitting the muffler? And is it a hassle to insert the screw-in pin since it's right behind the bumper?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Save a lot of money getting the Curt and doing it yourself. Just have a friend or two around to help hold it, bring some beer and tools. Don't even need a lift, took us about 30 minute. The Curt has easier access to bolt on a bike carrier but I like the Eco for being more hidden, it's just more than I wanted to pay.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the eco hitch and love it. like the fact it is hidden. how ever your aftermarket muffler options are limited as it wont clear this hitch

Reactions: modi operandi

·
Registered
76 Posts
It does look good but I said "no thanks" and went with the standard curt hitch. My dumbass would screw up my Sooby paint every time I tried to put the hitch in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 78 Posts