Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 2019 CrossTrek Hybrid last October and would really like to tow a micro-tent trailer behind it. Does anyone have experience doing this? Subaru claims it can tow 1000 lbs. That is fine if I just towed the trailer. But add toys, water and supplies and there are very few that still are light enough.

Any thoughts, opinions or experience towing with the Hybrid would be helpful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tow close to max capacity with no issues. Honestly, I am very surprised how well it goes and not noticeable the trailer is behind me while driving. Capacity is usually based on transmission capability, which is my only concern.

·
Registered
'14 XV Crosstrek Hybrid
9 Posts
I tow close to max capacity with no issues. Honestly, I am very surprised how well it goes and not noticeable the trailer is behind me while driving. Capacity is usually based on transmission capability, which is my only concern.
View attachment 301232
What tranny are you running. I have the Hybrid w CVT and would to shuffle my motorcycles locally. I would say 1000 lbs max trailer & bike 15-20 miles round trip. I see no towing in manual (( Nice rig & Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,184 Posts
2018 Subaru Limited Crosstrek. Easily tows a Coleman Popup trailer (originally 1300 lbs, but I've lightened it to about 1000 pounds plus a bit more for gear) across the Sierras over Tioga Pass and elsewhere. Crosstrek does a good job although as others have said it takes quite a bit of power to get over 9,900 foot Tioga Pass and I'm using the turnouts to let others go by on the way over. No overheating, and the Crosstrek seems to let the trailer track well behind with an excellent view of the trailer while driving. I worry over the brakes but the long steep downgrades into the Eastern Sierras haven't caused any problems for us either. About a 7 mpg mileage drop when traveling over the Sierras, depending on if we have the Kayak on top or not. The CVT concerns me as well but it hasn't shown any sign of problems but I don't have any quantifiable diagnostic. I have a Subaru OEM Hitch and if you haven't chosen a hitch yet I wouldn't recommend it for other reasons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What tranny are you running. I have the Hybrid w CVT and would to shuffle my motorcycles locally. I would say 1000 lbs max trailer & bike 15-20 miles round trip. I see no towing in manual (( Nice rig & Thanks
Hybrid PHEV only has auto transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts