Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya fellow XV owners!

I've found myself in a place where I'm considering spending time on either full-on or local walkabout. Or rather, driveabout. To do that, I'm considering three options. A really nice car-camping setup with an extra-comfy tent, shelter, camp kitchen, etc. A [email protected] Trailer that would give me a hard-sided place to sleep and a ready to go kitchen with sink, stove and cooler (TaG Basic - Teardrop Camper/Trailer - Little Guy), or an ALIne trailer that would give me more "stay in from the storm" options (Aliner - The original A-frame travel trailer). The [email protected] is well within the towing limit for the XV, the ALiner crowds it a bit. For now, it would be just me. Come spring, I'll be adding a dog.

Has anyone else here used the XV for towing a camper, and if so what was your experience? I'm especially interesting in things you tried that didn't work, and how you solved any problems along the way.

A camper is a whole lot more money than even a luxurious tent setup, so I want to be sure I have all the information I need to make that decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Some on this forum have towed trailers. Check out ScoobyXV-L. he has two trailers he tows regularly. Just keep in mind that the tow limit is 1500 pounds total including what you load into it.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
DJayne, if I had the choice between those three...car camping, a teardrop or an A-line...I would definitely go for the teardrop.
And yes, I am a little bit biased because I have one :)

For me it is absolutely perfect and I love it so much! Mine is not a [email protected], it is a custom made one. But it is similar with the extremely comfy bed, with two doors and cupboards and TV/DVD etc...very very cosy and like sleeping in a cubby house. And it has the kitchen which opens up in the back.
I haven't got a tow bar on my XV yet, and we tow it with an Outback. But my XV will easily be able to tow it when I do get the towbar put on...

What I love about the teardrop, as opposed to the car-camping that you described, is that everything is SO easy.... The thing I hate most about regular camping is all the setting up and packing away. It drives me nuts. I can't imagine going on a trip and having to spend an hour setting up every time I arrive at a new site.
With the teardrop you just park, open the back and make a cup of tea, or crawl inside and go to bed.
I've been camping all my life, and this teardrop has made it a thousand times easier and better.

Yes, I must admit I'm a little obsessed with teardrops at the moment...we are currently renovating ours and it's very exciting. And I've even put together a flipboard magazine which has hundreds of teardrop pics. It might give you some idea about camping and setting up a teardrop, and has some great annex ideas etc..
http://flip.it/CPRmx

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hacksaw is right. Check with ScoobyXV-L about his rig. If you switch to using a Jayco the two of you should bond instantaneously. He's in love with his! ^_^ lol

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've even put together a flipboard magazine which has hundreds of teardrop pics. It might give you some idea about camping and setting up a teardrop, and has some great annex ideas etc..
http://flip.it/CPRmx
Awesome Deb!!! Added to my Flipboard follows. :D

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
carcar.jpg
Yesterday I towed this 1968 Mazda 1500 about 50kms to its new home. Mostly flat suburban roads, ending up going up a fairly steep unsealed road. The only trouble I had was getting moving form zero up a slight incline.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJayne, if I had the choice between those three...car camping, a teardrop or an A-line...I would definitely go for the teardrop.
And yes, I am a little bit biased because I have one :)
Awesome - thanks for all that. Very helpful.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
The best setup

I have tents/ tent trailers before
And the Camper trailer from Jayco wins hands down

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
tounge weight is only 68 kg
Subaru XV in Australia can tow up to 120 kg
And weight is 719 kg