Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am currently investigating purchasing a small aluminium boat to tow behind my 2013 Subaru XV.

Having done my research, I quite aware that XV has unbraked towing limit of 650kg, therefore the two boats I am looking at are only 20cm different in length but their dry weight (inc. trailer and motor) differs by 50kg. The slightly bigger boat comes in at 450kg on the trailer, while the smaller model weighs in at just under 400kg. These figures include everything (outboard, fuel, safety Gear, Battery).

I am currently living in a hot climate (Northern Territory)where the daily temps average 32 degrees. I live only 5-10 minutes drive from the boat ramp.

What do you think, if I drive carefully, should I be ok with the bigger boat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
Go with the bigger boat, if your vehicle is well maintained, you won't have any problem. I would run synthetic oil in the engine though, it might run a few degrees cooler.

artosa

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,329 Posts
A short drive (5-10 min) like you mention is nothing. I tow a 3500 lb boat/trailer to and from my cabin (1.5 hour drive) twice a year, at 100 kph on the freeway, and no problem at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards bigger boat as it is exactly what am looking for. I haven’t towed with the XV but having watched similar powered vehicles (Mazda cx 3) tow 430kg jet skis so I feel it will do the job

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after months of waiting I picked up my new boat during the week and had my first attempt at launching and retrieving yesterday. I cannot believe how easily the XV did the job. It honestly feels like the boat isn’t even behind the car. I’m now glad I went with my first choice boat.

For those out there dismissing the XV as a tow vehicle, I think that as long as you are smart with the tow weight, use a good quality towbar and drive sensibly you should think again.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,329 Posts
Yup, I tow a 3500 boat/trailer with mine, no problems at all. Mind you not too far and all flat. But like you say, it is more capable than most think. In EU and Australia the tow rating is 3000 lbs, so it is definitely capable of towing more than 1500.

Just have to sure not to overload the tongue and rear while towing. The Crosstrek doesn't like too much weight back there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts