1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,693 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Page 12-8 of 2020 Owners manual lists the wheel nut tightening torque as 89 lbf-ft, and notes that it is equivalent to applying approximately 88 to 110 lbf to the end of the wheel nut wrench.

As an aside, page 9-3 notes something I wasn't aware of:
The temporary spare tire must be used only on a rear wheel. If a front wheel tire gets punctured, replace the wheel with a rear wheel and install the temporary spare tire in place of the removed rear wheel.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,128 Posts
The temporary spare tire must be used only on a rear wheel. If a front wheel tire gets punctured, replace the wheel with a rear wheel and install the temporary spare tire in place of the removed rear wheel.
Wow, that's a good catch! I'm a manual reader but if I ever read that I've forgotten. The weight of the engine, perhaps? Or steering?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have to do things in the right order if you only have one jack. To replace flat front tire, you have to first jack up a good rear tire, replace this tire with spare, then jack up the flat front tire and replace it with the rear tire.
The manual could have been better worded to emphasize this order. What you don't want to do is remove the flat front tire first, which one would be inclined to do.

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
You have to do things in the right order if you only have one jack. To replace flat front tire, you have to first jack up a good rear tire, replace this tire with spare, then jack up the flat front tire and replace it with the rear tire.
The manual could have been better worded to emphasize this order. What you don't want to do is remove the flat front tire first, which one would be inclined to do.
Yeah, I would have done that, LOL!

Long before the lockdown, we were planning to go up to the cabin we get to use, in the local mountains, but there was a storm on the way. I told OAK that I would only go that day if we left early enough that I didn't have to put chains on at the side of the road, in a snowstorm, in the dark. Guess what...? 😸

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
648 Posts
Yeah, I would have done that, LOL!

Long before the lockdown, we were planning to go up to the cabin we get to use, in the local mountains, but there was a storm on the way. I told OAK that I would only go that day if we left early enough that I didn't have to put chains on at the side of the road, in a snowstorm, in the dark. Guess what...? 😸
What kind of chains do you use; and upon which tyres do you put them? Front only- or all four?

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
They're actually low profile cables. Crosstreks have a clearance issue. From the manuaL:

Make certain that any traction device
you use is an SAE class S device, and
use it on the front wheels only.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
According to this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166921-0001.pdf

The 2020 oil drain plug is 34.7 ft-lb but that’s only valid for those made in/after Nov 19.

Note that the 13-17 XVs were 30.8 ft-lb.
Ref: Subaru Crosstrek Service Manual - Replacement - Engine oil

The sucross manual is for the 13-17 models but I’ve used it extensively for my 18 and it’s 95%+ accurate. The things that haven't been were easy to spot and adapt to. Things like; oh, that clip is 3 inches away from where the book says. I have no doubt that it’ll be useful enough for everyone here until someone can find the latest, until at least the next generation.

What I cant seem to easily find is a Subaru publication identifying the 18-19 and early 20 specs. I feel like there’s an equal chance that it’s:

A. The same as the 13-17 or
B. The same as the 2020 because of the slightly improved engine in 18. However, that 34.7 in the service bulletin could be because of the new aluminum pan and larger plug as because of the change in properties, that wouldn’t surprise me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What you need:

Fumoto valve.

Save the gloves for the real dirty work ;)

Kind of nice actually. First oil change I used gloves. By the 3rd, I decided I didn't need them. Oil filter is right there up top, and the Fumoto makes zero mess. Straight into the pan with zero splash. Don't even need brakleen anymore - for oil changes.

Page 12-8 of 2020 Owners manual lists the wheel nut tightening torque as 89 lbf-ft, and notes that it is equivalent to applying approximately 88 to 110 lbf to the end of the wheel nut wrench.

That's with any vehicle that uses a donut. You don't want your steer tires to be a donut.

TBH, I have NEVER torqued an oil drain plug, lol. Especially with a crush washer. "I'm gonna crush it!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts