Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there's a new auto locker option available for Crosstreks. I've already done a lift and skid plate (front, mid, rear) install, as well as upgrade to Terrain Contact tires, which are all working out very well. On a recent 5-day back-country trip I came up against the limitations of my Crosstrek when climbing steep dirt roads. Had to really choose my line carefully and get a nice running start. I would really like to enhance traction and it seems like Torq Locker might be something to consider. Here's a demo before and after the Torq Locker install, and also a nice demo of the sound on both a CVT (Outback) and manual Crosstrek:

Does anyone here know whether this would be a really dumb thing to install on my 2013 XV Crosstrek with CVT? I wonder how it would behave along with the VDC and TC over the long term...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru XV
15 Posts
I think they touch on VDC in the video. Looks like the locker works fine with it, doesn't freak out or anything. I've wanted something like this ever since I got my old outback stuck in the snow with two wheels still in contact. The install on this thing ins't for the faint of heart though, yikes:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Good luck with the drive train warranty. If the best tires are not good enough, you need to look at a different vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they touch on VDC in the video. Looks like the locker works fine with it, doesn't freak out or anything. I've wanted something like this ever since I got my old outback stuck in the snow with two wheels still in contact. The install on this thing ins't for the faint of heart though, yikes:
Yes, I want that extra ability too. I'm looking into a new front bumper also. I figure if I can max out this car's abilities, then I am ready for a real off-road vehicle.

I would definitely bring it to a professional for installation.

They saaay that no issues with VDC, but I wonder ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it possible to swap over to a Limited Slip Differential pulled from an older Outback or something like that? Seems like that would be a lot easier to live with.than a locker.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Cusco unit would be a nice addition and essentially invisible for the most part which is the way a limited slip should be for a mostly street driven vehicle. It's expensive though.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Cusco unit would be a nice addition and essentially invisible for the most part which is the way a limited slip should be for a mostly street driven vehicle. It's expensive though.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Hey thanks for that tip about the Cusco. I just saw that they are available through Primitive Racing's website. You're right about the price though. Jeez.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for sharing that video. Was looking into it, but now that I see the work in the install I might just pass. Lol. Cool addition though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts