Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
The console cup holders. At least add stability flaps at the top! (Does a third-party offer those?)
I hate that I was forced to choose between LED headlights and my beloved Sport seat upholstery.
i agree the audio quality of the 8” stock system lacks, considering the price point of the vehicle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
2018 6 spd manual.

1) Wish it had better sound insulation at highway speeds.

2) OEM tires are pretty bad. Typical really with most every new vehicle that isn't high end. I replaced them at about 150 miles and don't regret it.

3) Would like better internal lighting, especially in the cargo area.

Bonus item: Would love to be able to dim the big screen way down (not the instrument cluster which does dim) while still listening to the radio or using the other functions. At night it is too bright.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
182 Posts
Just an observation. After reading through this thread it's apparent no manufacture can make everyone happy, regardless of make/model. If there is a vehicle out there that does, I can bet it would cost much more than what the price point is of the Crosstrek! 😄

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,455 Posts
What specifically makes the 17 inch wheels preferable over the 18?
The 17" wheels come with taller tires (more rubber between the rim and the road) which results in a smoother ride and less chance of a blowout from a blunt strike like a pothole.

Reactions: rickeroo

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
2018 6 spd manual.

1) Wish it had better sound insulation at highway speeds.

2) OEM tires are pretty bad. Typical really with most every new vehicle that isn't high end. I replaced them at about 150 miles and don't regret it.

3) Would like better internal lighting, especially in the cargo area.

Bonus item: Would love to be able to dim the big screen way down (not the instrument cluster which does dim) while still listening to the radio or using the other functions. At night it is too bright.
Just a couple suggestions for easy diy.
1 for sound insulation, open the door panel and put a 6x12 sound deadening mat inside of door panel through the speaker hole. Makes a world of difference. Also, replace the speakers while you have the door panel open.
3 I ordered the 194 led bulb from amazon for $5. Swapped out the trunk light under 2 min. Also, the 2 map light and dome lights are very easy. Just have to get the right led light because the one from Amazon was too long and I had to file it down and bend the connectors to fit in.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
122 Posts
I suppose, that if cost was no consideration, you could have a bespoke auto designed and built with everything you ever dreamed of in a car. For < $30,000.00, though, not so much. I'm happy with my '21 Ltd, It has features that I don't use or anticipate using but they are all easily disabled or just left turned off. Overall a very practical rig with the features I like. Reasonably comfortable, good ground clearance, an efficient and well proven drive system, practical and enough power for any reasonable situation, decent gas mileage...etc.

It's not a Sports/Perfomance car. A HumV or even a Jeep. Not a pickup or Suburban. Not an Audiophile soundstage...... But it works great for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The 17" wheels come with taller tires (more rubber between the rim and the road) which results in a smoother ride and less chance of a blowout from a blunt strike like a pothole.
what makes 18 inch preferable on the higher trim levels ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Like:

1. The look overall
2. Leather seats
3. 2.0 engine. I understand a few people want more power, but for me for urban driving (99% drive alone in the XV) and occasional freeway driving it is perfect. I have, and have had 2.5s, and the 2.0 is perfect. Fuel efficient. Matches well with the CVT.

Don't like:

1. Auto stop start
2. Auto stop start
3. Auto stop start

Wish I had:

1. Better app options and wifi with a SIM card option in the HU (I am in Aust).
2. Rear cargo area dome light.
3. Remote start (Not available in Aust either).
Can one disable the auto stop start?
I thought only 2018 and earlier has auto stop start?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So far the only 2 things I do not like on my 21 are the Auto Start Stop (fixed with a module) and the stupid fake shift points that try to make the CVT feel like a standard auto transmission with gears. No matter how hard I try, in sport mode it always seems to do a fake shift at the wrong time making for some jerky acceleration or deceleration.
can one disable the auto start stop? I thought the auto start stop only on 2018 and earlier model years?

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
606 Posts
1. Better location for cargo lighting. A small bulb off to one side is just not enough. Put one on either side and either in the rear hatch or in the ceiling like they do over the 2nd row seats.

2. Tires. Come stock with Falken Wildpeaks please. My Falken Ziex tires on the hybrid are okay, but they are pretty crappy in the winter.

3. Trip fuel meter that resets every time you start the car. My 2015 Legacy had it, so why can't the Crosstrek have it? Instead, I have to reset the Trip A every time I want to see my fuel economy on a given drive.

4. Show me fuel economy over 99.9+. I can get the reading through the OBD II sensor, so it's not that hard to display on the screen in the car.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
can one disable the auto start stop? I thought the auto start stop only on 2018 and earlier model years?
2020 was the first year for AS/S on the US Crosstrek.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
what makes 18 inch preferable on the higher trim levels ?
Because big wheels are all the rage these days as manufacturers design their vehicles to look more aggressive. A classic case of styling over function.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
606 Posts
Because big wheels are all the rage these days as manufacturers design their vehicles to look more aggressive. A classic case of styling over function.
I wish I could've had 17's on my 2019 Hybrid because it would've been slightly less unsprung weight, giving me more efficiency. Plus, the tires are cheaper for 17's vs 18's.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
Not necessarily - larger wheels with lower profile tires improve handling and "sportiness" which is at odds with off-roading but not where most Crosstreks are being used. Just sayin' 😸

·
Registered
103 Posts
Audio. My biggest complaint there is the bass roll-off as the volume increases, which can only be "fixed" by going with an aftermarket head unit, as far as I'm aware. Ridiculous, but it seems to be a common thing nowadays.

Auto Start/Stop. Only because it doesn't remember your setting between trips without dropping more $ for aftermarket gadgetry.

A better approach angle would be nice, but that's just a niggle. Probably better that I don't tackle certain doubletracks here anyway; save 'em for one of our farm beaters. :)

Otherwise, it's all good.

Aside: Us Canadians are lucky, having the Outdoor model as an option.

·
Registered
2021 PYP Sport on order 🤨
112 Posts
Having just sold my 6-speed 2020 Premium, here’s my list:

1) Subaru’s obvious intention to kill the manual transmission. There is no reason for them not to offer it in all trim levels (with the smaller engine, at least). They also did not allow you to order the sunroof/blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert package with said transmission, which flies in the face of their safety claims. Then there’s the lack of any manual support with the larger engine…

2) Lack of front seat adjustability. Two specific problems: there should be adjustable lumbar support, and there is no way to raise the front of the driver’s seat bottom (big problem for taller drivers).

3) No love for back seat passengers. No USB ports, and you have to go all the way to the very top trim level to even get a fold-down center arm rest?

21 - 40 of 96 Posts