Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
What are the top 3 things/features on the Crosstrek that are problematic, and or you do not like, and or you wish it had?
Also, any serious, flaw issues?
The most complaints I've seen are about the HU (radio). It's better now, with the latest firmware, and fine for us, but if you're an audiophile you'll probably want to upgrade at least the speakers and maybe the whole system.

That's pretty much it. Everyone seems to love the car, as we do

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
What are the top 3 things/features on the Crosstrek that are problematic, and or you do not like, and or you wish it had?
Also, any serious, flaw issues?
i had a 2016 crosstrek and the two things that had me considering another car were 1) small engine 2) small trunk.

i now have a 2021 crosstrek sport so both of those issues have been resolved. i don't see anything problematic with the sport but if i had a wish -- i wouldn't complain if LED headlights were included for the same price :cool:

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
i don't see anything problematic with the sport but if i had a wish -- i wouldn't complain if LED headlights were included for the same price :cool:
Yeah, I'd recommend getting a Limited...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't like the lack of "downshifting" options. Of course, being a CVT it doesn't truly down shift but the transmission can be "pinned" at certain spots, other CVT vehicles have that. B mode is not enough slow down. X mode is good for pretty steep and slow. But I wish there were some other options. I hate riding the brakes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don't like the lack of "downshifting" options. Of course, being a CVT it doesn't truly down shift but the transmission can be "pinned" at certain spots, other CVT vehicles have that. B mode is not enough slow down. X mode is good for pretty steep and slow. But I wish there were some other options. I hate riding the brakes.
whats wrong with the paddle shifters?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ok, you asked.....
1) Audio system. We've already had the HU replaced(thankfully) under warranty and upgraded the system with the Rockford Fosgate audio upgrade kit. I'm already researching replacing the dash and rear door speakers to complete the upgrade. It will be interesting to see what it's like then.
2) Suspension. In the future I'll replace/upgrade the following:
-stiffer springs(keep factory shocks), but std ride height
-upgrade the sway bars to sti/wrx units
-strut brace , factory
3) Fuel Pump Assembly. I'm hoping this gets recalled and redesigned as it's horrid. We will probably need a pump by 30k(current 16k) with it's current behavior.
One of the huge flaws is the ability and ease of servicing the cvt trans. I would say the same about servicing t-stat's(engine & trans) for the cooling system. It's easier doing them on our Boxster, and that's saying something! It would be nice if they had a standard, low cost(<$100) download for a full service manual.
regards

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not worth the extra money to me. i prefer the look of the sport and 18" wheels are a non-starter. i wouldn't mind the 8" screen tho but i barely use the one i have....
How is the look of the Sport different?
Which trim has the 18 inch wheels, and which is your preference and why?
What size wheels does the Sport have?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
There is one issue we have. The lift gate is too tall. My wife need to tiptoes to reach the pull down hole. Recently, I had to install a strap in the pull down hole for a friend because she is too short to reach. I wish there is a way to lower the rear gate height or just have the rear gate height lower by 3 inch to start. My forester rear gate is lower than the crosstrek.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
182 Posts
There is one issue we have. The lift gate is too tall. My wife need to tiptoes to reach the pull down hole. Recently, I had to install a strap in the pull down hole for a friend because she is too short to reach. I wish there is a way to lower the rear gate height or just have the rear gate height lower by 3 inch to start. My forester rear gate is lower than the crosstrek.
Being 6'5" tall, I would disagree with ya! LOL Taller the better for me.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
313 Posts
Like:

1. The look overall
2. Leather seats
3. 2.0 engine. I understand a few people want more power, but for me for urban driving (99% drive alone in the XV) and occasional freeway driving it is perfect. I have, and have had 2.5s, and the 2.0 is perfect. Fuel efficient. Matches well with the CVT.

Don't like:

1. Auto stop start
2. Auto stop start
3. Auto stop start

Wish I had:

1. Better app options and wifi with a SIM card option in the HU (I am in Aust).
2. Rear cargo area dome light.
3. Remote start (Not available in Aust either).

·
Registered
752 Posts
What I dont like:
1. No roof soundproofing
2. Quality of leather seats, bush grease, gear shift light indicator trim
3. Auto start stop not sticky like lane departure warning setting

Wish I had:
1. Power tailgate
2. Rear air con vent
3. 0.5-1 inch wider rims

·
Registered
785 Posts
So far the only 2 things I do not like on my 21 are the Auto Start Stop (fixed with a module) and the stupid fake shift points that try to make the CVT feel like a standard auto transmission with gears. No matter how hard I try, in sport mode it always seems to do a fake shift at the wrong time making for some jerky acceleration or deceleration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
MY2018 so perhaps some are fixed by now, but here is my list:

1. The UX is half baked. So many switches and controls and screens. You can tell the designers of each didn't work together. If you have a lower trim you can tell you got "the cheap one".
2. USB charge ports for rear passengers. I was in a Nissan Kicks that has this feature, and makes me wonder why it's not standard. I have 3 kids in the back seat so all the DIY solutions I've seen would get kicked to death.
3. Single stage X-mode is useless for me when it gets disabled at faster speeds. I came from a Kia Sportage with a 50:50 lock that would disable over X speed and re-engage again at slower speeds. Driving in snowstorms can go from 10-km/h - 50km/h - 15km/h within a few minutes.

Bonus: Interior quality is cheap plastic and lots of squeaks. This is a Subaru hallmark and nothing new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1. Paint. At 200 miles I had at least 3 front end rock chips. At 2500 I now have more than I can count.
2. Windshield. 1.5 months, 2500 miles and my windshield is already cracked and requires replacement.
3. Radio - I have the 21 premium, the radio is very glitchy and the audio quality is not the best.

4. I wish leather and LED headlights came standard, especially on the premium.
5. The auto start/stop is kind of annoying. Ive racked up over an hour and 15 minutes of "stop" time and saved .3 gallons. I could see this causing more engine wear than its worth, but I'm sure it's some kind of emissions requirement

·
Registered
2021 PYP Sport on order 🤨
112 Posts
The auto start/stop is kind of annoying. Ive racked up over an hour and 15 minutes of "stop" time and saved .3 gallons...
Is this something the car keeps track of?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts