Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently indulged myself with a "membership" at our local drive-through car wash, which allows 1 wash per day, every day. This is one of the operations where you sit in the car as goes through the tunnel, then out the other end you pull into a slot that provides a vacuum cleaner, compressed air hose, and fresh rags for your personal use, all included in the cost. The top-of-the-line wash, which includes "hot wax' and other goodies costs $20 for a singe wash, or $40/month for membership...so break-even on the membership equates to 2 washes/month. So far, I've been running my Crosstrek through weekly (on average).

I'm not really sure what this "hot wax" is, and I imagine it's more marketing hype than high quality polish...certainly nothing like a McGuires type product I can use myself at home. My concern is that if I'm applying this 3-4 (or more) times/month at the car wash, will all this "hot wax" build-up adversely affect the factory Ice Silver finish of my car??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
606 Posts
YMMV, but on another of our cars, the 'hot wax' at the car wash machine somehow left drip stains on the back glass that never came off again. Our regular detailer tried several chemicals, even acid, but the stains stayed on for years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YMMV, but on another of our cars, the 'hot wax' at the car wash machine somehow left drip stains on the back glass that never came off again. Our regular detailer tried several chemicals, even acid, but the stains stayed on for years.
OUCH!! I don't like the thought of that!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
188 Posts
If it builds up on the windshield it could affect the Eyesight performance as well.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
Is there a way to get the wash without the wax? I usually get a handwash and wax but I've been to those kind of drive thru places before and they usually have a menu of options.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I recently indulged myself with a "membership" at our local drive-through car wash, which allows 1 wash per day, every day. This is one of the operations where you sit in the car as goes through the tunnel, then out the other end you pull into a slot that provides a vacuum cleaner, compressed air hose, and fresh rags for your personal use, all included in the cost. The top-of-the-line wash, which includes "hot wax' and other goodies costs $20 for a singe wash, or $40/month for membership...so break-even on the membership equates to 2 washes/month. So far, I've been running my Crosstrek through weekly (on average).

I'm not really sure what this "hot wax" is, and I imagine it's more marketing hype than high quality polish...certainly nothing like a McGuires type product I can use myself at home. My concern is that if I'm applying this 3-4 (or more) times/month at the car wash, will all this "hot wax" build-up adversely affect the factory Ice Silver finish of my car??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Those water wax is not that lasting, a few coat will make your paint more shiny but the wax will not last more than a week in my experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a way to get the wash without the wax? I usually get a handwash and wax but I've been to those kind of drive thru places before and they usually have a menu of options.
Yes, non-wax options are available. But all except the "basic wash" (soap and water? :rolleyes:) have some sort of additional application.

I did do a bit more research on the so-called "hot wax" that's typically used by the drive-throughs. Apparently its not at all like hand-applied wax, but rather is "formulated for use on glass" as well as all other car surfaces. Again, sounds more like a hype statement than scientific one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it builds up on the windshield it could affect the Eyesight performance as well.
That would definitely be a major concern! Not just for the wax build-up, but also for the other "special treatments" added, such as the "Rainbow Coat" sealant, and the "UV Body Protectant." On the company's web site, the describe the hot-wax as "formulated for use on glass" as well as all other car surfaces. Not that Eyesight would care.

However, since starting to use this car wash, I have noticed that my window/windshield glass is the cleanest and clearest it's ever been since the car was new and prepped by the dealer. Of course, Eyesight is likely likely to sense even the slightest hint of clouding before my eyes will, so I'll definitely need to watch for any signs of clouding that could be an indicator of build-up.

Seems you need to be a chemist to use the neighborhood car wash these days. Ugh.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
That would definitely be a major concern! Not just for the wax build-up, but also for the other "special treatments" added, such as the "Rainbow Coat" sealant, and the "UV Body Protectant." On the company's web site, the describe the hot-wax as "formulated for use on glass" as well as all other car surfaces. Not that Eyesight would care.

However, since starting to use this car wash, I have noticed that my window/windshield glass is the cleanest and clearest it's ever been since the car was new and prepped by the dealer. Of course, Eyesight is likely likely to sense even the slightest hint of clouding before my eyes will, so I'll definitely need to watch for any signs of clouding that could be an indicator of build-up.

Seems you need to be a chemist to use the neighborhood car wash these days. Ugh.
Well, there's a LOT of heated debate here about what affects Eyesight. I think a tint must affect it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those water wax is not that lasting, a few coat will make your paint more shiny but the wax will not last more than a week in my experience.
Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Also, If their process does the wash before applying the spray wax, then I figure a lot of the previous week's wax is being washed away...on the assumption that the "wax" product is fairly weakly formulated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, there's a LOT of heated debate here about what affects Eyesight. I think a tint must affect it...
Yup, and I've read many of those posts. I must say that Eyesight has contributed much to my overall enjoyment of the car, and my first Subaru experience. Along with the car's overall look-and-feel, handling, and most everything else about the Crosstrek :cool:.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,933 Posts
Yup, and I've read many of those posts. I must say that Eyesight has contributed much to my overall enjoyment of the car, and my first Subaru experience. Along with the car's overall look-and-feel, handling, and most everything else about the Crosstrek :cool:.
i use the same type of carwash and have for many years. never a problem

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
485 Posts
Spraying soapy water at the vehicle is not considered a wash in my book.....it's called a soapy rinse. :p ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've done the monthly car wash subscription, at the middle level that doesn't get all the fancy treatments, but includes a good chassis flush. However, I've taken to tipping the operator (washes the car before you enter the carwash), and he upgrades me.

Conversely, I try to do my own wax job twice a year. There are some excellent products out there, easy to use and long-lasting. Spray-n-wipe that lasts a year? Worth the time....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for your sage advice!

Btw, I'm also a Meguiars fan and have used their products with good results on many cars over the years. Unfortunately I'm now in a more arthritic stage of life, so my options are more limited to the drive-thru car wash and perhaps an annual or semi-annual hand-detailing. Or, let my Crosstrek age gracefully :cry:. Meanwhile I'll continue to monitor the car's Eyesight performance for any adverse effects from the drive-thru hot-wax and other wash additives.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,933 Posts
Thanks to all for your sage advice!

Btw, I'm also a Meguiars fan and have used their products with good results on many cars over the years. Unfortunately I'm now in a more arthritic stage of life, so my options are more limited to the drive-thru car wash and perhaps an annual or semi-annual hand-detailing. Or, let my Crosstrek age gracefully :cry:. Meanwhile I'll continue to monitor the car's Eyesight performance for any adverse effects from the drive-thru hot-wax and other wash additives.

Thanks again!
out of six years and 127k miles of crosstrek ownership (two cars) i have hand-waxed my car only once! the wax was left over from when i owned a black focus ST, which i handwaxed maybe twice. i keep my car clean and maintained but i'm not obssessive about it

·
Resident topic drifter
16,158 Posts
out of six years and 127k miles of crosstrek ownership (two cars) i have hand-waxed my car only once! the wax was left over from when i owned a black focus ST, which i handwaxed maybe twice. i keep my car clean and maintained but i'm not obssessive about it
Same here. The Crosstrek replaced a Lexus which we had for 14 years and was waxed once, maybe twice. The paint always looked great after a regular wash.

I understand, though, that paint quality on all vehicles is not as good as it used to be now, due to environmental regulations, so maybe it's more important to wax cars more often these days.

Also a Lexus is somewhat a luxury car so the paint was probably better than most. I often see older American cars around here in SoCal with serious paint damage from the sun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts