Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is idiot with wrench? Me. I am idiot with wrench.

Changed the oil on my wife's Forester tonight, in a bit of a rush because dinner was almost ready. Finished the oil change, went in for dinner, came back out to pour the used oil into the jug, and discovered I had managed to drop the crush washer into the drain pan during assembly without noticing.

So. Wipe drain pan clean, car goes back up on ramps, oil plug comes out for a few seconds to put that darn washer in, tighten back up, pour fresh oil from drain pan back into engine. Top off to make up for minor spillage and pan waste. Only took about ten minutes but I was kicking myself the whole time.

Something I've noticed in the process of doing the oil changes on these cars - the blue filters don't take the same cap wrench as the black filters. If I do the change, I use a black Tokyo Roki filter, and the cap wrench works fine on those. If the dealer does the change, it comes back with a blue filter, and it's just a little too small for my cap wrench to grab the flutes. I take those off with giant Channellocks, so it's not an issue really, but it's still kind of annoying.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
711 Posts
Could have been worse. I thought you were going to tell us you drained the CVT fluid by mistake.
When I install an oil filter, I never tighten it to the point that I need a filter wrench to remove it at the next oil change.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$hit happens. Hope you didn't tell your wife. :eek:
She was present when I discovered the problem. :D

Could have been worse. I thought you were going to tell us you drained the CVT fluid by mistake.
No CVT fluid in this car. :D I don't know how people mix up the oil drain with the transmission drain, anyway. Aren't the transmission drain plugs big Torx sockets?

When I install an oil filter, I never tighten it to the point that I need a filter wrench to remove it at the next oil change.
Yeah, but I don't always do the changes. Sometimes the dealer does them if the car is in for other scheduled maintenance.

In this particular case, the Forester had a warranty engine replacement for oil consumption. (Thanks, Subaru!) The first oil change after that was on the dealer, so it had a blue filter, installed by the dealer. I used a black Tokyo Roki filter. The instructions on the box say one full turn after the gasket makes contact.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On a previous car where the filter is under the engine, I unscrewed the filter and didn't notice that the filter's rubber ring had stayed behind on the mating metal surface. I screwed on the new filter and knew that something was weird as I tightened it down. It just didn't feel right. So after I put in the new oil and like an idiot, I cranked up the engine. I immediately heard a really funny high-pitched noise after which I saw oil streaming out from under the car. Oil is under a lot of pressure! I guess the weird noise was caused by the oil being forced thru the 2 rubber filter rings.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,109 Posts
On a previous car where the filter is under the engine, I unscrewed the filter and didn't notice that the filter's rubber ring had stayed behind on the mating metal surface. I screwed on the new filter and knew that something was weird as I tightened it down. It just didn't feel right. So after I put in the new oil and like an idiot, I cranked up the engine. I immediately heard a really funny high-pitched noise after which I saw oil streaming out from under the car. Oil is under a lot of pressure! I guess the weird noise was caused by the oil being forced thru the 2 rubber filter rings.
LOL!

I don't have an oil fail story but as a young teen I did try to fix a power steering hose on an old Jag that I was trying to get running by using a piece of plastic tubing and a couple of worm type hose clamps. It worked fine until I moved the steering wheel and then sprayed hydraulic fluid all over the engine and garage that I had to clean up. Live and learn... 😸

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way to solve the crush washer problem? Get a Fumoto valve. Best thing ever!
No offense to Fumoto, but I doubt "you might drop the crush washer into the drain oil without noticing" is a widespread enough problem to become a selling point for them. :D

Here's a story. I had an Acura once upon a time on which a shop stripped the oil pan threads. They installed one of these:

The bigger piece self-taps into the stripped hole, and the smaller piece becomes the drain plug going forward.

Some years later, at a different shop, the tech had never seen one of these, and unscrewed the entire assembly to drain the oil. This is not how the device is supposed to be used, and it damaged the threads again, so the car was out of commission for an extra day while the shop located and installed a larger one.

So. I might think about a Fumoto once the car is out of warranty and will not be going back to the dealer for any oil changes. Not before then, because I don't want to go pick up my car and find out they broke "that funny thing that was on your oil pan" trying to unscrew it.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
711 Posts
That's always been my concern about installing a Fumoto or similar oil drain valve. Although I DIY most of my oil changes, I have every fourth one or so done at the dealer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A strap wrench can be used with different size filters and works well.
I have a strap wrench, but not like that one. More like this:

I did use that at first, but the cap wrench was only about four bucks on Amazon. It wasn't until later that I found it didn't fit the blue filters. Then I discovered the giant Channelocks work better and faster than any of these options for removal, when you don't care about damaging the filter.

I do still use the cap wrench to snug up the black filters when installing. Easier on the frayed tendons of my wrist.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
239 Posts
Same here. Hand tighten snuggly, never had a leak and the filter comes off pretty easily. The Subaru makes filter removal easier than any car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No offense to Fumoto, but I doubt "you might drop the crush washer into the drain oil without noticing" is a widespread enough problem to become a selling point for them.

So. I might think about a Fumoto once the car is out of warranty and will not be going back to the dealer for any oil changes. Not before then, because I don't want to go pick up my car and find out they broke "that funny thing that was on your oil pan" trying to unscrew it.
I put a fumoto on our 18 crosstrek just after getting it. The dealer has never said a word about it. just getting it ready for when the warranty runs out and I do my own oil. I put one on our OB and did my own oil changes before the warranty ran out...blew a head gasket and it was covered under warranty. Warranty shmoranty...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put a fumoto on our 18 crosstrek just after getting it. The dealer has never said a word about it. just getting it ready for when the warranty runs out and I do my own oil. I put one on our OB and did my own oil changes before the warranty ran out...blew a head gasket and it was covered under warranty. Warranty shmoranty...
Okay, to clarify: I am not worried that it will void the warranty. I just would rather not install something like that until I'm sure nobody but me will be doing the future oil changes. That won't be the case until the warranty is over.

I don't want to be in the same situation as I was with the Acura, where a shop screws it up because they're unfamiliar with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who is idiot with wrench? Me. I am idiot with wrench.

Changed the oil on my wife's Forester tonight, in a bit of a rush because dinner was almost ready. Finished the oil change, went in for dinner, came back out to pour the used oil into the jug, and discovered I had managed to drop the crush washer into the drain pan during assembly without noticing.

So. Wipe drain pan clean, car goes back up on ramps, oil plug comes out for a few seconds to put that darn washer in, tighten back up, pour fresh oil from drain pan back into engine. Top off to make up for minor spillage and pan waste. Only took about ten minutes but I was kicking myself the whole time.

Something I've noticed in the process of doing the oil changes on these cars - the blue filters don't take the same cap wrench as the black filters. If I do the change, I use a black Tokyo Roki filter, and the cap wrench works fine on those. If the dealer does the change, it comes back with a blue filter, and it's just a little too small for my cap wrench to grab the flutes. I take those off with giant Channellocks, so it's not an issue really, but it's still kind of annoying.
Worse thing can happen in an oil change, believe you me. Thank your lucky stars.
My father never worked on cars, but my wife-of-44-years' father taught me, by simple observation, how to cuss while working on cars, in the early 70's, when I was first dating her. Believe me, cussing helps. I almost look forward to the cussing. Father-in-law was cussing at my sweet heart's 66 Mustang V-8. I cuss at Subarus.
I use a vacuum oil pump for oil changes. It takes the drain plug out of play, except on my #@%&$! 2005 LGT wagon, which will not pass the pump siphon to the oil pan. Of course, the LGT is the one vehicle that requires removal of two underbody aero panels to do a simple oil change. That lovely, fun to drive POS (see the cussing?); I take to a mechanic for an oil change. Thank's, Subaru, thanks a lot. #@%&$!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Until about a year ago, I did all my oil changes unless it was done by an auto tech I have known for 20 years and I trust him to NOT over tighten the filter OR overfill the crankcase. I got lazy lately and have had an local oil lube place do my last few changes on a Mazda 3. I went to remove my filter last week and none of my 3 oil filter wrenches would break it loose. I finally tried a huge pair of channel locks and it did come off but with a huge effort. I know they are concerned with oil filters coming off but I can not believe how tight this oil filter was installed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Until about a year ago, I did all my oil changes unless it was done by an auto tech I have known for 20 years and I trust him to NOT over tighten the filter OR overfill the crankcase. I got lazy lately and have had an local oil lube place do my last few changes on a Mazda 3. I went to remove my filter last week and none of my 3 oil filter wrenches would break it loose. I finally tried a huge pair of channel locks and it did come off but with a huge effort. I know they are concerned with oil filters coming off but I can not believe how tight this oil filter was installed!
Yeah, they definitely don't want come-backs for loose filters. I have mangled filters to a lump getting them off, and I have very device known to remove them. My fave for the last resort is the 1.5" nylon strap on a 1/2" socket drive. It's a hassle to use upside down, but get that sucker up close to the base of the filter and it will come off. It has never let me down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seems a minor stuff up really. Anyone who works on their own car will have stories like that and I have certainly created my own Exxon Valdez moments in my garage through lack of focus or clumsiness. When I think about it rushing things does seem to have a high correlation. Like many activities slow ends up being fast in the long run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all first post. I'm not the idiot but my daughter's boyfriend is, here's the problem. On her 2018 crosstrek he used channel locks to remove the oil cap. In doing so he cracked the cap an a piece about 1/3 x 1/3 inch from side of where you grip went down the filler tube, on top of that he over filled by an inch. I have a lift so over fill is an easy fix but my concern is the piece of yellow cap that went down, where would this end up and is this of concern.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts