Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of buying Toad and they have a good price on this month.
Does anyone here have anything good or bad to say about it, or alternatives?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whats your goal; to read check engine codes, or to read codes from all modules and view live data etc? Seems overpriced, based on the fine details it sounds like its just an OBD reader. In which case, you can get a wireless one for 30 bux that will do the same thing.

Most of the link looks like false advertising.. "Tune/edit any car" yet it then links you to totally different hardware and software for more money.

--"Health Check" : This is just OBD.

-- "Diagnose and Present Common Problems": This is just OBD.

-- 'Hack' Your Cars Performance: Why is Hack in quotes?

--"Optimize Fuel Economy" -- sure, through correcting engine fault codes.

--Custom dashboard -- Yeah, same capability from a 30 dollar wireless plug and some free software.

-- Reveal and fix problems that mechanics usually charge 250 per hour for.. Sure, depends on the situation. But if a person goes to a place that charges you anything about 50 bux to scan the codes, they are screwing him/her.

--Analyze Dyno: Same thing that an app like torque can do.

--Comprehensive CO2 emissions readout: This is why OBD was created, 30 dollar tool can read.

--9 Modes: Note that it says "Generic PIDS" -- cause they are the same on any car and a 30 dollar tool can read this.

Freeze Frame: Part of OBD II

Read current faults: Part of OBD II

Clear faults: Part of OBD II

O2 Sensor test result: Part of OBD II

On board test result: Part of OBD II

7: OBD II

8: OBD II

9: OBD II

It makes the claim that it can tune cars.. but as I said, it links you to other hardware. Claims it has thousands of ECU maps, but doesn't give any details. Its a way overpriced OBD reader. Guys a scam artist.

Just buy this if you have a smartphone: https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scanner-Android-Diagnostic-Supports/dp/B00WPW6BAE/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=obd+reader+wireless&qid=1578952758&sr=8-5

What neither the tool I listed nor toad can do: Read ABS, Airbag, VDC, Combination Meter, HVAC, Transmission fault codes and real-time data, or tune.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats your goal; ... Transmission fault codes and real-time data, or tune.
Thanks for the detailed reply. it wasn’t long after I posted this that I backed away from Toad. Apparently while it does work, it’s a repackaged open source software paired with a cheap elm327. I also didn’t like the website and had some doubts, which is why I posted here.

I’m 7 months away from being out of warranty and want something that’ll read as many modules as reasonably possible but yeah, a cheap tool will cover the basics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts