Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I made this blog basically as a place holder for my recent findings on motor oils. Similar, yet not as in depth as my studies on CVT fluid, I needed a place holder for my new thoughts on motor oil.

I wrote this blog as a place holder, but tried to write it in a way that others could read. I tend to delve into things deeply, and then later, as easy come, easy go I tend to forget about things, and remember only the general gist of what I spent time trying to learn about...

So, I am sure I missed some things, but this MAY be useful to others...

Even though I reference the Mazda and not the Subaru, I think it might be helpful.

What do you think?

unfortunately, for engine oils, I couldn't find too many technical papers and sources to sight...

Anxious Thoughts: Oil really might be black gold..

Feel free to leave posts, even if they are helpfully critical! It can only help learning and collective knowledge!

Thanks a bunch!

Mark :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mark,

I read your blog about oil. You are on the right track. I wanted to shed some light on Synthetic oils. Amsoil created synthetic oil in 1972. They are the industry leader in oil technology and I suggest you use them as a resource to learn about lubricants. I have used Amsoil for 35 years in my off road racing 4 stroke and 2 stroke motorcycles, and the various trucks used to haul these bikes around. Amsoil does a great job of educating it's dealers and is all about independent testing of it's products vs the competition. There products are the best and they can prove it.

You are correct that synthetic oil does not break down, it just gets compromised by dirt. Filtration is the key. The Amsoil EA filters are 10 microns. This is far greater than any Auto Parts filter. K&N has a 10 Micron oil filter also. This filtration allows for a 25K mile change interval (or one year). Amsoil has a special install bypass filter that filters 5 microns and you change the oil after 100K miles.

I just changed my XV engine oil at 3K miles to Amsoil Signiture 0W-20 and used an EA filter. I will change it at 10K mile intervals based on my driving habits as you stated in your blog, short vs long trips. I will change the differentials to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 at 5K miles.

I know oil blogs can be crazy, but education is the key and when you learn about synthetic oil the choice is very easy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thorn,
Not to hijack, but….I read somewhere else that Subaru has a particular bypass pressure spec'd for their filters that at least some other brands do not meet. Do you know if the EA filter is the proper spec?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, much longer. Check out Schaeffer oils. Been around over 100 years and for the money can't be beat. They don't market though, so few know they exist.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Recently, read an article regarding synthetic oil and Germany. After WW I, the Germans began research into manufacturing synthetic oil and reportedly were successful. They went on to use it during WWII.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been using Synthetics since 1975 . I just works for me having extended drain intervals (10K miles between changes) , 90% of my miles are hiway. .Nice to see all the newer vehicals leaving the factory with synthetic oil and some with 16 K mile drain intervals . have taken several of my vehical to 400K miles and going strong.

·
Registered
465 Posts
To put the oil change and its importance into my perspective. When the oil is fresh it will lubricate the parts and absorb the dirt created by friction between the moving metal parts. The detergent in the oil can absorb/ neutralize a limited amount of pollutants, before it becomes inactive. In between the filter is happily removing the suspended particles, which are chemically bonded to the detergent and also to other components of the oil. Through depleting the cleaning and lubricating qualities of the oil it will not fulfill its intended function. In the synthetic oil the length of the polymer chain is longer and stronger than in the mineral version and stable enough to handle larger amount of detergent and other additives. But, that does not mean it will not break down. Oils being carbon based will become acidic and this is the biggest danger to the engine. So, oil change is important. How many dishes can one wash with one lot of water and detergent?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts