Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am sitting here at the dealership on a cold, snowy, blowing Saturday that is typical of Colorado “spring”, reading reports of the weather and the 800+ flights that are canceled out of Denver’s airport, I think, “if Subaru made those planes, they wouldn’t have this problem:grin:.”

This led to a second though, of all the airplanes out there, what one is the most “Subaru”. Subaru started off as an aircraft manufacturer and there are the various aircraft that FHI has made over the decades, but I’m taking about what plane best feels like it shares the same spirit as the Subies we know and love?

My vote is the C-130. It’s not the biggest, fastest, most glamorous or highest tech. It’s a great rugged companion that does just about everything you want it to do out of the most remote places and it just keeps going. Some people don't get the C-130 but to the pilots and crew that work with them that I have talked to, there's nothing else.

So aviation fans here in Crosstrek land, what plane do you think is really Subie and why?

-JMart

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,056 Posts
C-130 is a great choice. I know some guys who are with the Air National Guard up in Wyoming, and they've flown C-130s for years and are impressed as hell with them. Those birds are tough as nails, they go anywhere, last forever, and can carry almost anything ... cargo carrier one mission, troop transport the next, and a firefighting plane after that. Not flashy, but they get the job done better than anything ... and that's very Subie-like.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Second the Warhog. This thing can survive almost anything. It's cheap (compare to other war planes) and get the job done. Not a lot of fancy gimmicks like Apache and other modern planes.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I initially thought of civilian airplanes that meet the criteria, so my vote went to...

The DeHaviland Beaver. Very rugged and still used in Alaska for just about everything. :)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I initially thought of civilian airplanes that meet the criteria, so my vote went to...

The DeHaviland Beaver. Very rugged and still used in Alaska for just about everything. :)

Colorado Springs is a big military town and the 52d Airlift Squadron out of Peterson AFB is always flying their C-130s around so that is where my mind naturally went.

I think just about everything to come form deHaviland Canada feels like it could be a flying Subaru. The Twin Otter is beat up by the the Air Force Academy for the cadets to jump form. Plus, it seems to be the go to aircraft for everything in Alaska and Canada when the Beaver isn't' big enough.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've seen designs and ideas for a C-130 flying boat, but unfortunately they never made one. :( :D

I think the progression of aircraft for AK is something like: Piper Cub, Cessna 182, DeH. Beaver, DeH. Twin Otter, C-130. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like this post! Ill be going to USCG school for aviation maintenance technician next month and will be learning all about the C130 and helios. I don't know quite enough about planes to pick one for this, but seeing that the HC130 is what we use in the Coast Guard, and the missions we accomplish with them... Id say that they would be a pretty good one.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
Working north of 60 in NWT

Twin Otter by Dehaviland DHC-6, Beaver DHC-2, but my all time Favorite,for Most versatile plane where we work was the DHC-5 Buffalo
you simply couldn't beat the rear drop down ramp,and payload of this Workhorse(sadly no longer in commercial service).
Replaced by the DHC-7 Dash 7 four engine unit,side front door loading (1/2 the payload of the Buffalo)

Need Viking out of Calgary to look into a newer version of the DHC-5 for Northern/Arctic use

Troutbum

·
Registered
919 Posts
All I know is that Subaru made one civilian airplane and makes attack helicopters for the JSDF.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Never heard of the DHC-5 before, looks like it was a good workhorse. :)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
a-10-thunderbolt-ii_003-ts600.jpg

Certainly the C-130 and the A10 Thunderbolt or anything else that puts out fires !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts