Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
How about the Nokian WRG4? These are All Weather and competitive to the Michelin Cross Climate. I just had a set installed on my Crosstrek but have barely driven it so don't have any personal opinions yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing the OEM Falken tires on my 2021 Crosstrek Limited. Live in Pittsburgh and drive often to Indianapolis. I don't want "winter only" tires...just a good, all seasons tire. Suggestions?
Consider General Altimax RT 43. Go to tirerack.com search them you can see videos comparing them to other tires in evaluating their overall performance they're reasonably priced tires they're good-looking and they have top ratings for rain and snow traction and they ride good I've put them on several of our family cars and everybody loves them

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Deleted: Sorry, I didn't read the thread properly and my comment was inappropriate...

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about the Nokian WRG4? These are All Weather and competitive to the Michelin Cross Climate. I just had a set installed on my Crosstrek but have barely driven it so don't have any personal opinions yet.
I have run at least six sets of Nokian WRs, first the WR2 (Mazda Tribute), then the 3s (Mitzy Outlander & Crosstrek) and now the 4s (Crosstrek). The last set of WR4s ran $139 mounted and balanced with lifetime rotation and balance (Warren Tire with shops from Albany to Glens Falls NY). I have had excellent service running them year-round in Albany NY and Adirondacks escaping the costs of extra winter tires and seasonal switchovers. Right now the main competitor for me is going to be the new General Altimax 365AWs which I have back ordered for my new Outback. Both the Nokians and the Generals have the 3 peak winter rating. What I like about the Nokians is they have great resale value on Craigs list in this Northeast region when I turn them around for the last third of their life when the amount of remaining tread reduces winter traction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am the original poster. Still haven't bought tires, but I'm getting close I think. I recently put Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires on another vehicle. I'm now thinking about these for the Crosstrek. Any comments?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,636 Posts
Funny you should post this. I just put them on my 2017 Crosstrek 10 days ago. I read great reviews and then found a hard to pass up Black Friday deal and pulled the trigger. Very happy with them so far. Much quieter and smoother than the OEM Yokohamas, which I liked, and so far excellent in rain. Luckily, I have no experience with them in snow!

Reactions: Sarang

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
I am the original poster. Still haven't bought tires, but I'm getting close I think. I recently put Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires on another vehicle. I'm now thinking about these for the Crosstrek. Any comments?
Just updated my earlier post. Sorry about that.

I see a lot of people here recommending Falken Wildpeaks...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Funny you should post this. I just put them on my 2017 Crosstrek 10 days ago. I read great reviews and then found a hard to pass up Black Friday deal and pulled the trigger. Very happy with them so far. Much quieter and smoother than the OEM Yokohamas, which I liked, and so far excellent in rain. Luckily, I have no experience with them in snow!
Do you mind if I ask what you paid, all in (after rebates, etc), for 4 Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires, installed?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,636 Posts
Ordered online directly from Goodyear to be sent to a nearby installer. Honey popped up from my browser and gave me 15% off. Then got $100 rebate and $100 off using their credit card. I just applied online and got it right away. Total for the set of four tires installed including all fees, taxes, and install: $558! It pays to shop around. I think the same is still going on with rebate and offer.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Ordered online directly from Goodyear to be sent to a nearby installer. Honey popped up from my browser and gave me 15% off. Then got $100 rebate and $100 off using their credit card. I just applied online and got it right away. Total for the set of four tires installed including all fees, taxes, and install: $558! It pays to shop around. I think the same is still going on with rebate and offer.
You know how to work the deals!

My mom had this expression for thrifty people that makes me smile when I remember it: He'd skin a louse for its hide...

• Haha
Reactions: FLCrosstrekker

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wow. You DID get a good deal…skinned a louse 🤣

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,636 Posts
Or as Rose Nyland said of her husband Charlie: He could squeeze a nickel and make the buffalo poop!

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
25 Posts
You are so cheap thrifty, I am green, with envy...:p

·
Registered
323 Posts
I installed Falken Wild peak A/T trail on my 21 sport. HATED the OEM Yoki’s. In the wet they were bad, in light snow, they were down right deadly. I have about 600 miles on the wild peaks. Lost one MPG, but the lite snow handling is very good. They are quiet and they grip well in wet and dry. They have a three mountain peak rating on the side wall.
l live in Northern Idaho, so there is plenty of snow in the winter. I need a tire that can be left on the car year round. I think I have found them. Time will tell on the wear.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,333 Posts
I installed Falken Wild peak A/T trail on my 21 sport. HATED the OEM Yoki’s. In the wet they were bad, in light snow, they were down right deadly. I have about 600 miles on the wild peaks. Lost one MPG, but the lite snow handling is very good. They are quiet and they grip well in wet and dry. They have a three mountain peak rating on the side wall.
l live in Northern Idaho, so there is plenty of snow in the winter. I need a tire that can be left on the car year round. I think I have found them. Time will tell on the wear.
I've had same A/T tires on for 15,000 miles so far (on Limited rims.) Similar to your experience, although haven't taken them into the snow, but they are much nicer in dirt and more recently some mud. I lost 2.5 mpg on long highway trips using mine so there was a penalty for me there. Pretty quiet. A little squirmy compared to the OEM Falkens but no real worries. Seem to be about as quiet as OEM, actually I like the A/Ts ride better in the city around potholes. Wearing evenly for now, expect about 35 K from them overall.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts