Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to start a thread where we can share our experiences with tires that we are using / have used on another vehicle, but would also fit a Crosstrek.
This would allow Crosstrek owners to have access to helpful reviews from other Crosstrek owners (or in my case, soon to be owner). The tires on my Mazda3 sedan are also made in the size that fits the Crosstrek.

Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 205/60/16 "V" rated.
Miles currently on tires: 31,800 miles
Vehicle: 2015 Mazda3 iTouring sedan

With over 31k miles, the Cooper CS5 UT has proven to be a great everyday tire, with a sporty side to it, that impresses.
On the freeway the Cooper's are smooth, quiet on most surfaces, and stable. This makes for enjoyable long distances road trips. Around town, the silica based tread compound grips the road nicely allowing for sporty cornering, quick steering responses, and excellent braking in panic situations.

In the wet, and by that I mean rainy days, as I haven't had them in the snow, the CS5 UT's shine. They resist hydroplaning very well, and I have never felt like I was ever close to being unstable even in heavy down pours at speed.
They grip wet roads impressively for a touring tire, better than any high performance all-season tires I have used over the years.

The sidewalls are on the medium / luxury side. I would say medium firmness. So, while the tread compound grips all roads wonderfully, the sidewall allows for a comfy ride all day long. I think Cooper nailed it with a balance of comfort, and sportiness. And, at 31k miles, rotated every 5k, the tire are wearing evenly and have 7/32" tread depth remaining (started out new with 11/32").
I am a spirited driver, but I think I could squeak 55k out of them. I like to replace tires at about the 3/32" mark.

I like the CS5 UT's a lot, and I would recommend to Crosstrek drivers to look further into them as a option for their next set of tires. They are available in 225/55/17 size in both "H" and "V" speeds.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When the stock tires on my Impreza got well over 30,000 on them, I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires. I chose them because they were rated very high for wet roads and in particular, were highly rated for snow and ice. Since my Subaru is my bad weather car, those were the main factors in my choice. The only down thing with them, is the fact that I noticed a marked drop in fuel economy after putting them on. That being said, when the tires on the upcoming Crosstrek need replaced, I'll likely make the TripleTreds my first choice again, but I may be open to another brand if the rain/snow/ice ratings match up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I replaced the OEM Yokohama Geolandar G95 225/55R17 with
Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 215/60R17
MILES: 22k

Off the bat: there is no similarity between the G95/AT-S. Period.

SUMMARY: The AT-S is louder, more aggressive tread and sidewall design. It does a decent job in the rain, snow and gravel, not so much in mud. AT-S sidewall and main patch protection has been fantastic so far. Many times I anticipated a puncture, only to be pleasantly surprised. It does NOT handle near as well as the G95 in cornering or aggressive maneuvering.

RECOMMEND: I'd say yes for an All-Terrain; however, if you plan on being more off-road than on, no. The tires are not near aggressive enough for a mud terrain and the sipe is a bit too conservative (at least in the size I'm at, which is as close to OEM as offered).

ALTERNATIVE: I see the sense in dropping wheel sizing to 15" and increasing the tire sizes for off-roading. Not so much if staying street. The 17's are decent, but if I were into the street, I'd go with a good set of Michelin Pilot Sport in stock config (225/55R17).
For the 15's, larger tires forces the sidewalls to be naturally taller. Why taller sidewall? Airing down on the trail (rock crawling) to increase the contact patch. The goal is to have siped rubber blocks hitting the trail in a slow and methodical approach. As far as tire - I like the BFG KO2, General Grabber AT2, Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Not exactly in that order.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a great deal on a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires for my wife's car, a few days ago. Though we have only put a couple hundred miles on the new tires, I have done all the driving so I could get a feel for them.

Subjectively, I find the tires appearance to be nice looking. Clean, attractive looking sidewall styling, and a simple asymmetrical tread design.

The ride is on the soft side, and on the way home from the tire shop I was a bit concerned that the CS5's were to soft for a heavy SUV (~4,200 lbs) like the NX200t. But, as the days go on, I find that the softer tire
irons out sharp speed bumps, and road imperfections much better than the OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A's. No more crashing over speed bumps, and minimal vibrations from road expansion joints and rail road tracks.

The CS5 Grand Touring's are considerably quieter than the OEM Yokohama's. The daily commute I am used to, is now a lot more comfortable, and peaceful. I am liking the softer, quieter ride. I am still getting used to
the softer sidewalls on the CS5's during hard cornering, and sweeping curves and on-ramps. The NX200t is not a canyon carver by any stretch of the imagination, so it doesn't need a stiff harsh tire like the OEM's it came
with. The Coopers let the NX200t be the Lexus it is: comfy riding, quieter cabin, and a highway cruiser gobbling up mile-after-mile in serenity.

The factory Geolandar's were noisy, harsh riding, and had terrible wet weather traction. I won't know for a while how the CS5's will do in the rain, but online reviews going back a couple years, are predominately
positive for their wet weather qualities.

Though I only have just over 200 miles on the Grand Touring's, I am initially happy with my choice of tires. I was going to go with the CS5 Ultra Touring' s, but the deal on the Grand Touring's was to sweet to pass on.

The Cooper CS5 Grand Touring is available in Crosstrek factory sizes 225/55/17, 225/60/17, and 225/55/18 covering the current model, and the upcoming 2018 model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm currently running Michelin Defender LTX M/S Tires (225/55/17). I've put about 45K on the tires and still have about 50% tread remaining. Michelin Defender Tires. The handle fantastic in all seasons and snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts