Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Rigid tire carriers block the RAB sensors on a limited? They have two different types, a swing out version and another that drops backwards. I've been searching everywhere to find an answer with no luck. The pictures I've found look like the swing out style might block the middle right sensor and the other style might block both middle sensors but I'm not sure, the spare tire might be just above the sensors I just can't tell in the photos I've found.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport (Canadian) in Magnetite Gray Metallic
80 Posts
Experiment. Go to a party supply shop and see if they have a balloon the size of a tire. Or cut up a large box and make a model. You don't need to drive with it to find out, all you have to do is pop it into reverse and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,812 Posts
Experiment. Go to a party supply shop and see if they have a balloon the size of a tire. Or cut up a large box and make a model. You don't need to drive with it to find out, all you have to do is pop it into reverse and see what happens.
I like the concept, but a metal tire carrier might have more of an affect than a balloon.

OP: I doubt the drop down carrier would have an affect since the sensors are in the bumper... but I can't say for sure since I don't have RAB on mine. Not sure about the swing out version.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like that idea and thank you for it but not sure if I would trust the results of balloons and cardboard. Although, I do have some cardboard laying around, maybe I'll give it a shot if I can't find any info before I purchase one. Won't hurt to try it and the results might be interesting. In the end it's not a huge deal and i can live without RAB. I was just hoping there was a carrier that allowed me to keep that function and maybe someone has already gone through this and found out what carrier if any at all.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport (Canadian) in Magnetite Gray Metallic
80 Posts
Ultrasonic sensors are not affected by the type of material the object is made of, unless it's made of some ultrasonic frequency absorbing material (a quick Google says these are exotic and expensive). The common limitations of ultrasonic sensors are minimum distance, maximum distance, and the output can be a bit noisy and require processing. There are people on here that say long grass is picked up by the sensors, so they are pretty sensitive.

As long as the balloon/carboard/whatever you use to model the tire carrier is roughly the same dimensions as the actual carrier, then you should get a very accurate idea of whether or not it will affect RAB.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt the drop down carrier would have an affect since the sensors are in the bumper... but I can't say for sure since I don't have RAB on mine. Not sure about the swing out version.
Do you have a drop down carrier? How much room is there to load/unload gear with the drop down when it's down, is it in the way or easy to load around? Also how fast is it to undo and hinge down? Part of the reason I was looking into the swing outs was I didn't want it in the way when accessing the hatch but an extra $500 for the swing out is a bit steep. I could use that for other gear.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,812 Posts
Do you have a drop down carrier? How much room is there to load/unload gear with the drop down when it's down, is it in the way or easy to load around? Also how fast is it to undo and hinge down? Part of the reason I was looking into the swing outs was I didn't want it in the way when accessing the hatch but an extra $500 for the swing out is a bit steep. I could use that for other gear.
Yes, I have the Rigid drop down carrier.

It's in the way when it's down, but not terribly so. Like, sometimes it's annoying that sometimes when I'm on one side of it I have to walk all the way around it to get to the other side to grab something. There are several pictures on page 4 of my build thread that show it pretty well.

It only takes a second to undo it. There's a pin to pull out, then a lever, then you let the tire down slowly. If it falls on its own it feels like too much force. The real downside that I didn't notice until I had it was that since it's on the outside of the car it's always kind of dirty/dusty. I found myself not putting groceries back there anymore because I don't always want to get road/tire dust on my hands.

The backup camera is basically useless with it on. You can kind of see the corners which kind of helps when backing out of a parking space with tall vehicles on each side. The rear view mirror also becomes mostly useless. The tire takes up the exact area that a car in the lane behind you would occupy. I honestly wish that the tire either sat a few inches lower or higher so that one of those wouldn't be as affected. I don't think the swing out is worth the extra cost. It probably is better, and for an extra $150 I would probably go for it, but not $500+.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts