Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
Yeah if the car is darker on the inside, then all the windows looked darker. My last car had a completely black interior and with just 35% on the side windows, the windshield looked almost just as dark.

Back to the topic though, I tinted the front side windows to match the rear... I was told it was 25% but I’m not sure. I love it for sunny days, although I do crack my windows sometimes at night so I can see to my sides and don’t smack a curb in a dark neighborhood. I will say that tint all the way around really helps to cut down on headlight glare at nighttime. Personally, I have pretty bad vision and try not to drive at night because of the glare, but tint helps for when I have to.
On the windshield, too? You mention headlight glare...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I pulled the trigger and got my car tinted today. I ended up getting 35% along the side windows and 20% on the rear hatch window. This means that all the side windows behind the B-pillar got a 35% tint on top of the factory tint and the front windows just got a 35% tint. As I said before, nothing was done to the windshield.

Driving today was a delight. Glare was greatly reduced. Getting the back hatch tinted darker than all the others was quite useful as there are many drivers in my area with mis-aimed headlights, HID/LEDs in halogen housings causing excess glare or people driving with their high-beams on.

Overall, I’m happy with the outcome. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I pulled the trigger and got my car tinted today. I ended up getting 35% along the side windows and 20% on the rear hatch window. This means that all the side windows behind the B-pillar got a 35% tint on top of the factory tint and the front windows just got a 35% tint. As I said before, nothing was done to the windshield.

Driving today was a delight. Glare was greatly reduced. Getting the back hatch tinted darker than all the others was quite useful as there are many drivers in my area with mis-aimed headlights, HID/LEDs in halogen housings causing excess glare or people driving with their high-beams on.

Overall, I’m happy with the outcome. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input.

View attachment 305072
any tint makes every car look and feel better! Good job

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the windshield, too? You mention headlight glare...
Yes 50% on the windshield, so it helps with oncoming cars’ headlights and just keeps it a little darker inside. Still light enough that I can put sunglasses on for a bright day though.
Just personal preference, plus my eyes are pretty sensitive to light.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
Yes 50% on the windshield, so it helps with oncoming cars’ headlights and just keeps it a little darker inside. Still light enough that I can put sunglasses on for a bright day though.
Just personal preference, plus my eyes are pretty sensitive to light.
Your profile doesn't say where you're located but most states only allow a small band at the top. Does your Crosstrek have EyeSight?

Reactions: MichaelCJ

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You understand that by tinting the front driver's and passenger's windows that it will make it impossible to see anything to the sides of you when on a dark street? Curbs, cyclists, pedestrians, kids...makes parallel parking too much of a challenge. That's my experience.
Just as a follow up, 35% tint isn’t that dark. I found no issues seeing obstacles at night. You must remember that there are different shades of tint available, not all of them obstruct the view enough that you cannot see .

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
995 Posts
Just as a follow up, 35% tint isn’t that dark. I found no issues seeing obstacles at night. You must remember that there are different shades of tint available, not all of them obstruct the view enough that you cannot see .
agreed. 35% doesn't affect my nighttime visibility in any noticeable amount at all. Limo tint is different of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All. I'm going to be tinting my Crosstrek on Thursday. I have a 2020, so the rear windows (everything from the B pillar back) is lightly tinted from the factory. I'm just looking for what others have done and what their experiences are. My current thought is to go with 35% on all windows except for the rear hatch and the sunroof, which would get 20%. I drive a lot on the highway, and the idea is to reduce glare from headlights behind me at night.

What have others done? Have you tinted the front windows darker so the front and rear match?

A few notes for clarity:
  • Percentages above represent light transmission. Higher the number, lighter the tint.
  • In my area, the accepted "legal" tint is 35% and is only applicable to the front two windows. The actual law just states that the driver must be "clearly visible" and people outside of the vehicle should be able to "make eye contact with the driver". Based off of the phrasing of the law, most law enforcement agencies deem 35% to be the unofficial limit.
  • I am not going to be tinting the windshield in any way.
Thanks in advance to all who respond. Picture of my car below for reference:
View attachment 305024
Sorry OT, but what wheels are those? M52s?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes! You must be referring to the visor piece. I can take a picture and upload it today.
You will have to excuse the pollen, but here is my custom visor that my tint shop was able to come up with for me. I hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
86 Posts
You will have to excuse the pollen, but here is my custom visor that my tint shop was able to come up with for me. I hope it helps.
Thank you for the photos. What % did you get for the custom visor? Looks really good. I'm going to see if a tint shop can do the same for me.

Question about the photos though. In the picture below it looks like the tint goes over the little black dots?

But the photo from the outside looks like they didn't cover them and just cut around them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the photos. What % did you get for the custom visor? Looks really good. I'm going to see if a tint shop can do the same for me.

Question about the photos though. In the picture below it looks like the tint goes over the little black dots?

View attachment 305166

But the photo from the outside looks like they didn't cover them and just cut around them?

View attachment 305167
Thank you so much. I believe it was 20% tint just like the back of the vehicle was. I can double check my receipt, but that's what I believe. The tint visor does go over the dots on the windshield, but the cut out the eyesight cameras so it wouldn't interfere with it nor would it bother anything warranty related.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
20 Posts
Hi All. I'm going to be tinting my Crosstrek on Thursday. I have a 2020, so the rear windows (everything from the B pillar back) is lightly tinted from the factory. I'm just looking for what others have done and what their experiences are. My current thought is to go with 35% on all windows except for the rear hatch and the sunroof, which would get 20%. I drive a lot on the highway, and the idea is to reduce glare from headlights behind me at night.

What have others done? Have you tinted the front windows darker so the front and rear match?

A few notes for clarity:
  • Percentages above represent light transmission. Higher the number, lighter the tint.
  • In my area, the accepted "legal" tint is 35% and is only applicable to the front two windows. The actual law just states that the driver must be "clearly visible" and people outside of the vehicle should be able to "make eye contact with the driver". Based off of the phrasing of the law, most law enforcement agencies deem 35% to be the unofficial limit.
  • I am not going to be tinting the windshield in any way.
Thanks in advance to all who respond. Picture of my car below for reference:
View attachment 305024
I went with the 35% on the driver and passenger side and do not experience any distraction in driving, looks great too.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
14 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on tinting last week, 35% on fronts and 5% on all the rest. Left the moonroof exactly as is. Absolutely love the look...but I've been getting eye strain from the contrast between the bright AZ sun out the windshield and the almost fully black (but barely perceptible) rear view mirror view. The factory tinted rear window glass compounded the tints darkness to the point of near fully opaqueness, and I just wasn't expecting it to be as drastic and decided I need to change it. Driving into the sun at sunrise every morning sucks. Have an appt to get just the rear window tint replaced with 15%, leaving the sides at 5%. Lesson definitely learned on this. Should maintain the overall same blacked out look while giving my eyes a but of a reprieve from constantly shifting between extreme ends of dilation 🤣

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
14 Posts
Looks great with all of the black accent pieces!
Thanks! It nailed the look I wanted, and I am absurdly happy with the quality of installation. No bubbles, no hairs, almost no fogging. I just need to learn to listen when a professional suggests something may be a bit too extreme for practicality.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I googled it, and it said that stock Subaru tint is 20%? Which means my rears are already 20%? I would love to go 5% all the way around, but here in MT especially my schedule and driving at nights, I do need to see a little more out the windows. 20% is doable, and you can still see well enough. I saw some videos online comparing 35, 20 and 5. I will do 5% in the rear hatch door. That is without a doubt doable. I will most likely have to leave a cut out for my camera though, and keep that portion at the stock tint. I am fine with that. My biggest concern is not contrast or headlights, it's people being too close and thinking that you looking in your mirror means that you are slowing down or something along those lines and then they tailgate even more. I have noticed people being a lot closer in my CT than in my last F150. I just mind my own business and try to avoid staring in the rear view, but there does exist those drivers who will get dangerously close if you so much as glance at them, so privacy is my biggest concern and reason for wanting to go 5%.

Anyone have 5% on the rear hatch with a dashcam?

Pretty sure I'll get a quote for 5% all the way around and if I can't deal with it after a week of driving I'll go back for a lighter front tint. I am more concerned with prying eyes and daytime driving or people looking into the vehicle (while driving and while parked) than anything else. I honestly can't say I watch for deer out of my side windows... So we'll see. In my F150, I had a lock box under the rear seat for my "truck gun" - but there is no option for that in my CT... so I have it hidden well enough for now. Not really, honestly... But "come and take it" and all...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I googled it, and it said that stock Subaru tint is 20%? Which means my rears are already 20%? I would love to go 5% all the way around, but here in MT especially my schedule and driving at nights, I do need to see a little more out the windows. 20% is doable, and you can still see well enough. I saw some videos online comparing 35, 20 and 5. I will do 5% in the rear hatch door. That is without a doubt doable. I will most likely have to leave a cut out for my camera though, and keep that portion at the stock tint. I am fine with that. My biggest concern is not contrast or headlights, it's people being too close and thinking that you looking in your mirror means that you are slowing down or something along those lines and then they tailgate even more. I have noticed people being a lot closer in my CT than in my last F150. I just mind my own business and try to avoid staring in the rear view, but there does exist those drivers who will get dangerously close if you so much as glance at them, so privacy is my biggest concern and reason for wanting to go 5%.

Anyone have 5% on the rear hatch with a dashcam?

Pretty sure I'll get a quote for 5% all the way around and if I can't deal with it after a week of driving I'll go back for a lighter front tint. I am more concerned with prying eyes and daytime driving or people looking into the vehicle (while driving and while parked) than anything else. I honestly can't say I watch for deer out of my side windows... So we'll see. In my F150, I had a lock box under the rear seat for my "truck gun" - but there is no option for that in my CT... so I have it hidden well enough for now. Not really, honestly... But "come and take it" and all...
I don't have a tint-metre, but I would say factory tint is more like 35%. You can still see a lot when looking into the car.

To answer your question, I did a 20% tint OVER the factory tint on the rear hatch, and I have a rear dashcam (Aukey DR02). The camera is smart enough to just increase the exposure setting. After reviewing video, there's no real difference between the stock tint and the stock+20% tint during daylight hours. I do find that there is slightly better image quality when the sun is setting behind the car, the extra tint seems to reduce the glare a bit. I'll be honest, I haven't really reviewed any night footage to see how the camera adapts.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts