Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm going to be tinting my Crosstrek on Thursday. I have a 2020, so the rear windows (everything from the B pillar back) is lightly tinted from the factory. I'm just looking for what others have done and what their experiences are. My current thought is to go with 35% on all windows except for the rear hatch and the sunroof, which would get 20%. I drive a lot on the highway, and the idea is to reduce glare from headlights behind me at night.

What have others done? Have you tinted the front windows darker so the front and rear match?

A few notes for clarity:
  • Percentages above represent light transmission. Higher the number, lighter the tint.
  • In my area, the accepted "legal" tint is 35% and is only applicable to the front two windows. The actual law just states that the driver must be "clearly visible" and people outside of the vehicle should be able to "make eye contact with the driver". Based off of the phrasing of the law, most law enforcement agencies deem 35% to be the unofficial limit.
  • I am not going to be tinting the windshield in any way.
Thanks in advance to all who respond. Picture of my car below for reference:

·
Registered
269 Posts
You understand that by tinting the front driver's and passenger's windows that it will make it impossible to see anything to the sides of you when on a dark street? Curbs, cyclists, pedestrians, kids...makes parallel parking too much of a challenge. That's my experience.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
If you have EyeSight, don't touch the windshield...

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
120 Posts
For SUVs Oregon’s law is 35% front and anything goes for the rears.

My main goal for tint is heat and UV rejection. So I kept it legal by going with 35% for front, 70% (highest light transmittance available with Xpel PRIME XR PLUS) for rear, hatch, and moonroof. Didn’t touch the windshield at all due to EyeSight.

I have no problems seeing out of my windows at night. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable doing 20% in the rears due to not being able to see well out the windows when it is dark.

Edit: I stated 30% front being Oregon legal. It is actual 35% and my fronts are at 35% after reviewing my invoice.

·
Registered
2019 Premium
39 Posts
I've tinted the driver's and passenger's side front windows on two vehicles in a row. The most recent being my XV. The place I've used was able to match the factory tint no problem. I left the hatch window with the factory tint as well. I pondered the moonroof/sunroof but in the end left it alone. The guys at the tint place actually advised me to as I live in the PNW with lots of cloudy days. Let the light in!!! And you can always close the cover.

I agree that things are harder to see at night. Seems obvious right? But when backing up in dark rainy conditions I've found it necessary to roll down one of my windows to get a good rear view. Usually the passenger one.It's not a big deal but be aware.

It's just personal preference but I dislike the looks of vehicles with the rears factory tinted and the fronts clear. Never understood dropping a bunch of money on other aesthetic mods but not the $150 on tint. Seems like an easy mod that makes the car look "complete". Each to their own though. Plenty of really nice looking cars out there and on here without the tint. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
407 Posts
I did 35 on both front door windows . Never had an issue with police. I know cops who have their own cars tinted with 35%. The 35 is a tad lighter than the back doors and the hatch. Never did the glass on the sunroof. I agree it is harder to see at night. The glare from car headlights at night coming from the rear can be alleviated with flipping up the rear view mirror.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
sadly most don't care
Or live in a place where the sun tries to kill you for half of the year.

Visiting the Boston area was interesting for me because instead of every car being tinted at least the legal limit, many didn't even have tint.

I'm actually also getting tint this Thursday. 35% all around, which is legal here. Just in time for triple digits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks really good
I did 5% all around except the front driver and passenger window. Did them 15%. But now I think I want them at 5% like yours. Windshield left alone
Thanks!
Tint does make every car look better

5 percent is dark and each time someone else jumps in the car I get “wow it is nice but how can you see ?” 🤣

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Magnetite Grey, 1.5" ADF lift, RRW RR2-V 15x7, Geolandar G015 235/70R15
68 Posts
I did 35% ceramic film on the front doors. And went over the top of the factory tint on the rear doors/hatch with 70% ceramic film to improve heat rejection without making the windows too much darker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally did VA legal on the driver's side and the passenger's side windows. I chose to do 20% from there on back. I use mine for sun protection and to keep peaking eyes out of my vehicle. My windshield I had the shop do a custom visor for me to help reduce the sun coming in, it was angled and left the eyesight alone. Everyone is right, it comes down to personal preference. I could have gone completely illegal and did a limo tint too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I see sooo many cars/trucks here in CT have the windshield tinted quite dark....I am really surprised these people haven't run anyone over yet.

I have 35% on front side windows (driv/pass) just to take the edge off, not sure if I would want to go darker as to see safely at night.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
78 Posts
I personally did VA legal on the driver's side and the passenger's side windows. I chose to do 20% from there on back. I use mine for sun protection and to keep peaking eyes out of my vehicle. My windshield I had the shop do a custom visor for me to help reduce the sun coming in, it was angled and left the eyesight alone. Everyone is right, it comes down to personal preference. I could have gone completely illegal and did a limo tint too.
Do you happen to have a picture of the windshield with tint strip?

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
74 Posts
I see sooo many cars/trucks here in CT have the windshield tinted quite dark....I am really surprised these people haven't run anyone over yet.

I have 35% on front side windows (driv/pass) just to take the edge off, not sure if I would want to go darker as to see safely at night.
I can’t speak to as what you have seen but I can say in AZ land of the sun, very dark tint is common. From what I have seen, if the sides are dark enough, limo tint, the windshield can look tinted but it’s not.
I know someone and have driven a car with full limo tint plus I forget the terms, AS1 and AS2? of the windshield legally tinted. Looking at it from the outside in the daylight you would swear the windshield was fully tinted when it is not.
The dealer tinted my front windows to match the rear as their standard dealer upgrade they do to every car. I can see just fine and do the majority of my driving at night.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks!
Tint does make every car look better

5 percent is dark and each time someone else jumps in the car I get “wow it is nice but how can you see ?” 🤣
Hi, I don't normally post here and it's been a long time. But as for the tint situation, I had 5% around on my 15 for about a month. The 5% added to our already oem tint in the rear windows literally turned the back into a deep cave as expected. However, during night drives in the city I was slowly getting accustomed to its limitations at the front and became a more careful driver as a result. Thus, I was basically going to stick with it. Then one morning I drove in thick fog. That was a game changer and so I got rid of all the 5%... I will say one thing as others have noted: a 5% tint all around will noticeably cool your car interior on very hot days. However, in the future I may go to 35% for the fronts like our og poster; will leave the rear tints stock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looking at it from the outside in the daylight you would swear the windshield was fully tinted when it is not.
Yeah if the car is darker on the inside, then all the windows looked darker. My last car had a completely black interior and with just 35% on the side windows, the windshield looked almost just as dark.

Back to the topic though, I tinted the front side windows to match the rear... I was told it was 25% but I’m not sure. I love it for sunny days, although I do crack my windows sometimes at night so I can see to my sides and don’t smack a curb in a dark neighborhood. I will say that tint all the way around really helps to cut down on headlight glare at nighttime. Personally, I have pretty bad vision and try not to drive at night because of the glare, but tint helps for when I have to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, I don't normally post here and it's been a long time. But as for the tint situation, I had 5% around on my 15 for about a month. The 5% added to our already oem tint in the rear windows literally turned the back into a deep cave as expected. However, during night drives in the city I was slowly getting accustomed to its limitations at the front and became a more careful driver as a result. Thus, I was basically going to stick with it. Then one morning I drove in thick fog. That was a game changer and so I got rid of all the 5%... I will say one thing as others have noted: a 5% tint all around will noticeably cool your car interior on very hot days. However, in the future I may go to 35% for the fronts like our og poster; will leave the rear tints stock.
ultimately I do agree with you, 5 percent is just crazy dark and it’s much harder to see out from the windows cause of it

I’ve actually been driving like this since my first carevery car I get, gets auto 5 percent all around. And it’s been a little over 10 years now. I suppose I’ve just adjusted to it

no crashes...yet! * knocks on plastic*

I’m sure the older I get, the less how well my eyes will work, I’ll move on up to the higher percentage

edit: no crashes yet ( due to a window tint)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts