Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2013 Crosstrek a few months back and within the past few weeks ive noticed a very rough sounding scratching/scraping sound when starting the engine. It is more pronounced during a cold start but is noticeable whether the engine is warmed up or not. It is also noticeable when I hit the throttle. Not certain if its related, but Ive also gotten a strange "Womping" sound when acceleration quickly or turning. Dont know how else to describe the second noise Im referring too. "Whomping" sound seems like it could be coming from one of the wheels, Scratching sound seems to be from the engine but I could be wrong. I'm not super familiar with these Subaru engines. If anyone has an Idea id greatly appreciate a reply. I can provide additional information too. Im thinking of calling my shop to ask for a quote on a rear wheel bearing job to see if that gets rid of the "whomping" sound. Besides that im not sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From the sound of it (pun intended), the cold start noises can be an oil distribution issue e.g. oil pump, oil filter, or even the oil itself. Engines should not make scraping noises even at cold start. If not oil distribution, maybe a starter issue. Not really sure since car noises can be further elaborated with frequency, duration, and aggravating circumstances. You have to get this checked promptly. Any engine scraping noise universally means metal-to-metal contact and engine wear.

The whomping noise while turning though, I am pretty sure its a suspension issue. Worn ball joints or rotted-out bushings can be the culprits. You can check this out while one of the wheels are up on the air while on jack stands. Hold the wheel on 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and shake it firmly. Then hold the wheel 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and shake it firmly as well. There should be no movement when you do these. Bad news if there is movement AND noise.

You have a nine-year-old car and you cant be too sure how the previous owner maintained and even driven it. Best bet would be getting it diagnosed in your local garage. At least you have a rough idea on what is going on.

Best regards!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Scraping noise can be as simple as a loose heat shield, especially at that age.
Whomping sounds similar to description of viscous coupler failure, do you have a manual or auto trans?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts