Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Wanted to add to the collective knowledge and share that I just got a set of Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars. I upgraded my Amazon Brightlines aero style after I noticed the bolts were rusted on (and no amount of PB blaster or impact wrenching could remove). I have two ~50lb kayaks that I regularly transport in the summer and I hated how much the Brightlines flexed, so I decided to upgrade instead of replacing with another set of aero style bars.

The Thule bars are light and rigid. I got the 53" (135cm) bars instead of the 50" (127cm) so they overhang a few inches which is nice just to have a little more room to work with. I know the overhanging bit isn't rated for holding any weight but I feel like I can have my kayak racks on a smidgen closer to the edge (they're big and kind of suck to load, so anything helps us). The feet clamp on very solidly and I didn't notice any new noise at speed. Set up was very easy.

Downside is that they were expensive. I just got them on sale, but you need to buy the feet and the bars separately. Both cost me $215, so $430 total before tax. That's not including the lock cores I also ordered for them. Not a cheap solution at all.

Even so, I'm very pleased with the quality so far. I feel much more secure having my big *** kayaks up there now.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
119 Posts
Hey guys,

Wanted to add to the collective knowledge and share that I just got a set of Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars. I upgraded my Amazon Brightlines aero style after I noticed the bolts were rusted on (and no amount of PB blaster or impact wrenching could remove). I have two ~50lb kayaks that I regularly transport in the summer and I hated how much the Brightlines flexed, so I decided to upgrade instead of replacing with another set of aero style bars.

The Thule bars are light and rigid. I got the 53" (135cm) bars instead of the 50" (127cm) so they overhang a few inches which is nice just to have a little more room to work with. I know the overhanging bit isn't rated for holding any weight but I feel like I can have my kayak racks on a smidgen closer to the edge (they're big and kind of suck to load, so anything helps us). The feet clamp on very solidly and I didn't notice any new noise at speed. Set up was very easy.

Downside is that they were expensive. I just got them on sale, but you need to buy the feet and the bars separately. Both cost me $215, so $430 total before tax. That's not including the lock cores I also ordered for them. Not a cheap solution at all.

Even so, I'm very pleased with the quality so far. I feel much more secure having my big *** kayaks up there now.
thank you for taking the time to review. I have been pondering upgrading the stock aerobars and the evo's are on the list. Too much curve for some accessories, and i wanted to increase the space in between for multiple kayaks.
Would you be able to measure the distance of the bar in between the mounts, so how much mounting space is there? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for taking the time to review. I have been pondering upgrading the stock aerobars and the evo's are on the list. Too much curve for some accessories, and i wanted to increase the space in between for multiple kayaks.
Would you be able to measure the distance of the bar in between the mounts, so how much mounting space is there? Thanks
Sure can, I'll take a measurement later if it's not raining.

Idk what racks you use, but I have Hullaport xts, the older kind with the universal clamping mechanism. The clamp fits over the bar even above where it joins the foot, so I was able to scoot the racks out to the sides ever so slightly and I almost feel like maybe I could squeeze another tiny boat in between. But what I'm really pleased about is that both my pvc pipe roof shower and a fishing pole carrier will likely both fit with the kayaks now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're not in a rush, there's a lot of used Thule items on the used market. I got the Raised Rail Evo feet from the REI returns section for $140 and the bars off of eBay for $100.

(I have a second set of 50" Wingbar Evo bars in silver for $85+shipping if anyone is interested.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean the length of each bar essentially? The way this bar sits above the foot, you have the whole distance between the roof rails to safely mount anything. For example, the outer clamp on my kayak racks are sitting right above the roof rails. So that distance should be the same on your Crosstrek. You can get longer bars to maximize the distance, but mounting beyond the roof rail will be kind of up to your discretion. If I wanted to, I could clamp things along the entire 53" of the load bar. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
119 Posts
Do you mean the length of each bar essentially? The way this bar sits above the foot, you have the whole distance between the roof rails to safely mount anything. For example, the outer clamp on my kayak racks are sitting right above the roof rails. So that distance should be the same on your Crosstrek. You can get longer bars to maximize the distance, but mounting beyond the roof rail will be kind of up to your discretion. If I wanted to, I could clamp things along the entire 53" of the load bar. If that makes sense.
i meant the available distance between the feet where you would be able to mount an accessory all the way around the bar. Basically, the inner edge where the foot is on each side.

Are you using the t slots for the kayak rack and thats why its above the foot?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i meant the available distance between the feet where you would be able to mount an accessory all the way around the bar. Basically, the inner edge where the foot is on each side.

Are you using the t slots for the kayak rack and thats why its above the foot?
Ah I understand. I'm not using the t slots but since the bar attaches to the foot by a t slots on the bottom, I'm able to put my clamping kayak racks right on top of where the bar attaches to the foot and it doesn't interfere. I was pleasantly surprised. But I understand now, if you had something that went all the way around the bar, yes it would interfere. Yeah I can take that measurement!

·
Registered
2021 Sport
119 Posts
Ah I understand. I'm not using the t slots but since the bar attaches to the foot by a t slots on the bottom, I'm able to put my clamping kayak racks right on top of where the bar attaches to the foot and it doesn't interfere. I was pleasantly surprised. But I understand now, if you had something that went all the way around the bar, yes it would interfere. Yeah I can take that measurement!
yes, thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, thank you
Ok so between the feet I've got 35" on the front and 34" on the back. It's more 360 degrees of mounting space than I had with my Brightlines aero style.
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree Hood

Old bar in front, new Thule in back.

This is how I'm able to use even more of the bars' space when I mount my clamping kayak racks.

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle tire

I lucked out and there is plenty of space around the sides of the bar above the foot for clamping. There is no contact between the clamp and the foot.
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Hood Automotive lighting

Again, I know this may not be using the bar's full strength, but it's above the foot so I feel that it's secure enough.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
119 Posts
Ok so between the feet I've got 35" on the front and 34" on the back. It's more 360 degrees of mounting space than I had with my Brightlines aero style.
View attachment 313000
Old bar in front, new Thule in back.

This is how I'm able to use even more of the bars' space when I mount my clamping kayak racks.

View attachment 313001
I lucked out and there is plenty of space around the sides of the bar above the foot for clamping. There is no contact between the clamp and the foot.
View attachment 313002
Again, I know this may not be using the bar's full strength, but it's above the foot so I feel that it's secure enough.
thank you for taking the time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts