Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I need a Thule Hullavator to mount my Kayak to the roof rack. Only problem is that to keep the kayak to the roof you need to tie down the hullavator to some-
thing to keep the hullavator-- and therefore the kayak to the rails. They of course recommend tying down the front and back of the kayak (when on the roof) un-
der the bumpers. I looked tonight and have nothing to easily get to for the back bumper without damaging the bumper cover.
I guess I could use a ratchet type tie down but I thought I'd check with you - the Experts.
I read one thread where the owner had a 2013 XV with tie downs in the front but I guess I'll check tomorrow to find out where in the front.

I have a 2014 XV Crosstrek. The Hullavator is $450 US so I don't want to make a mistake like I did buying a kayak I can't load myself.
Any advice from you guys would be welcomed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
not positive i am reading it correctly, but if you are trying to find a way to tie it down, i suggest these
Yak-Gear EZ Loop Hood Loops - Pair - austinkayak.com - Product Details

i stick one in my engine bay, and let the loop hand out the side of my hook, and one in my trunk.

i use them on my cars, and creates easy tie down points.

if i misunderstood your question, apologies

·
Registered
438 Posts
You could always buy an extra tow hook and use both as tie down points. I use the front tow hook and my hitch as tie down points.

Reactions: Sooby Doo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find the Yak tie down intriguing. I'll look into it. Yes that's what I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts