Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor, Dark Blue Pearl
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall, I am impressed with my first three months of ownership of the Crosstrek. I had a midsize truck for 11 years prior (Nissan Frontier), and was concerned about moving from a truck to a crossover. Sold our RV trailer this past spring, so figured I didn't really need a truck any more. So far, there has only been a couple of occasions where I have had to remind myself that I didn't have a truck (hauling some yard waste, and when considering buying a storage shed). Still have lots of friends with trucks though, so should be all good on that front :)

Pros:
  • very comfortable ride and a pleasure to drive on the highway
  • capable for the mild to moderate off roading I do while fly fishing
  • so much better gas mileage than my truck
  • the soft touch vegan seats are holding up well, a breeze to clean, and not quite as scorchingly hot or sticky as I thought they might be; good thing they aren't black though!
  • technology has been great so far, including the back up and front cameras, keyless entry system, audio interface and connection with Android/Apple, and wi-fi for updates
  • oil filter location means I will likely do lots of my own changes (especially now that I added a Fumoto)
  • the 2.5L engine has some pep to it

Cons:
  • Easily the #1 issue so far is how soft the paint seems to be. I've gotten three small chips, and one door edge rub so far. When I fixed my 11 year old truck to sell, there were only 5-6 noticeable chips and one door that had some edge wear... I recall fixing a couple others along the way but not very many. I am hoping this might just be bad luck, cause I truly suck at applying touch-up paint.
  • I miss storage space-- under rear seats, second glovebox, rear seat pocket on the driver's side to name a few. The Crosstrek has next to no storage to speak of other than small glovebox & console, and of course whatever you might do with the hatch (I have an organizer for booster cables, first aid kit, cleaning products, seat covers, blanket, etc.)
  • The lane assist steering is super jerky, and is quite fatiguing to use as it seems a constant "fight" to keep engaged enough to prevent the annoying "keep your hands on the wheel" warning from coming on. I don't know if it due to the condition of the road, weather, or what, but it seems to vary a little from trip to trip. Sometimes it is OK to use, and others I turn off in frustration after just a few minutes.
  • Hard to believe the mud flaps are an add-on. No good excuse for that, other than to make dealerships some easy coin.

The expected...
  • Factory rubber mats don't cover well, and I quickly replaced them with Weathertechs. The "upgrade" to rubber mats in my trim really wasn't much of an upgrade at all.
  • Factory speakers are pretty trashy; fronts and dash speakers replaced, and will likely do the rears at some point. I actually like the head unit more than I thought I would, so can't see changing it. I recently listened to a buddy's HK audio in his Outback, and the audio upgrade would be well worth it imho.
  • Every single rock chip on the windshield will be anxiety producing, due to exorbitant cost for replacement owing to Eyesight

Here's hoping I have just as many happy years of ownership with this vehicle as I did with my last one.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Overall, I am impressed with my first three months of ownership of the Crosstrek. I had a midsize truck for 11 years prior (Nissan Frontier), and was concerned about moving from a truck to a crossover. Sold our RV trailer this past spring, so figured I didn't really need a truck any more. So far, there has only been a couple of occasions where I have had to remind myself that I didn't have a truck (hauling some yard waste, and when considering buying a storage shed). Still have lots of friends with trucks though, so should be all good on that front :)

Pros:
  • very comfortable ride and a pleasure to drive on the highway
  • capable for the mild to moderate off roading I do while fly fishing
  • so much better gas mileage than my truck
  • the soft touch vegan seats are holding up well, a breeze to clean, and not quite as scorchingly hot or sticky as I thought they might be; good thing they aren't black though!
  • technology has been great so far, including the back up and front cameras, keyless entry system, audio interface and connection with Android/Apple, and wi-fi for updates
  • oil filter location means I will likely do lots of my own changes (especially now that I added a Fumoto)
  • the 2.5L engine has some pep to it

Cons:
  • Easily the #1 issue so far is how soft the paint seems to be. I've gotten three small chips, and one door edge rub so far. When I fixed my 11 year old truck to sell, there were only 5-6 noticeable chips and one door that had some edge wear... I recall fixing a couple others along the way but not very many. I am hoping this might just be bad luck, cause I truly suck at applying touch-up paint.
  • I miss storage space-- under rear seats, second glovebox, rear seat pocket on the driver's side to name a few. The Crosstrek has next to no storage to speak of other than small glovebox & console, and of course whatever you might do with the hatch (I have an organizer for booster cables, first aid kit, cleaning products, seat covers, blanket, etc.)
  • The lane assist steering is super jerky, and is quite fatiguing to use as it seems a constant "fight" to keep engaged enough to prevent the annoying "keep your hands on the wheel" warning from coming on. I don't know if it due to the condition of the road, weather, or what, but it seems to vary a little from trip to trip. Sometimes it is OK to use, and others I turn off in frustration after just a few minutes.
  • Hard to believe the mud flaps are an add-on. No good excuse for that, other than to make dealerships some easy coin.

The expected...
  • Factory rubber mats don't cover well, and I quickly replaced them with Weathertechs. The "upgrade" to rubber mats in my trim really wasn't much of an upgrade at all.
  • Factory speakers are pretty trashy; fronts and dash speakers replaced, and will likely do the rears at some point. I actually like the head unit more than I thought I would, so can't see changing it. I recently listened to a buddy's HK audio in his Outback, and the audio upgrade would be well worth it imho.
  • Every single rock chip on the windshield will be anxiety producing, due to exorbitant cost for replacement owing to Eyesight

Here's hoping I have just as many happy years of ownership with this vehicle as I did with my last one.
Your insurance should cover windshield replacement and calibration cost

1 - 2 of 2 Posts