Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
Good to hear! Yes it can be a fairly significant savings if you can manage your time you're using power. I'd say even more so for those folks that have true L2 chargers with full EV's at home. Imagine charging your Tesla at .03! 馃
Yeah, this also helps with other things like my homebrewing. Since I brew on the weekends, I can save around $0.03 per kWh now.

Registered
Same here, I've done the math and a hybrid makes no financial sense for us.
I don鈥檛 see the benefits of a hybrid. It鈥檚 a gimmick. Why bother tuning down a fully capable 2.0 for no reason and strap on a whole heap of heavy electrical motor and battery and lug it around along with a combustion engine just to go a few kilometres on battery. And also lose the spare tyre. It鈥檚 either EV or petrol/gas. One or the other. Soon it will be pure EV in a decade or two and people will look back on hybrid saying what was all that for?
Well, my wife loves hers. I think it depends on the usage of the owner. In our case, we have two homes and spend our time in between. They aren't far apart and the EV side pretty much gets you there. One place is off the grid, so free sun power to recharge. The run to town is 1/2 EV, half gas. So the mileage is great. But then when it needs to go the length of CA, which it does several times a year, or camping you just run it on gas. I originally tried to talk her into an all gas model as I too felt the low mileage of the EV was gimmicky. But I have to admit that it has worked out really well. She is getting great mileage with our typical use. Yes, the lack of a spare is lame. We put a cargo basket and bought a real spare to carry when going off pavement. But then we would have had to do the same with an all gas model as a donut spare doesn't cut it for where we go. When around town we rely on the fix a flat or a tow truck.

As to it's either EV or gas, I disagree. The current EV offerings wouldn't work for us. The roads here are rough as we live in the sticks and a Tesla (price notwithstanding) isn't going to hold up well. We also use the CT to tow a trailer loaded with a lot of stuff, not doing that with an all electric. The range of the EV as well as the charge time still doesn't work for long trips or off pavement adventures. If the range of the EV side of the hybrid was double or triple I would be really happy and feel it was a perfect fit.

So, is there a place for the hybrid? I think so. The use case is the determining factor here and I admit that the appropriate use case is narrow and that it wouldn't work for many folks. Works for us though. My wife also feels that encouraging manufacturers to work towards new technologies is important.

Registered
Well, my wife loves hers. I think it depends on the usage of the owner. In our case, we have two homes and spend our time in between. They aren't far apart and the EV side pretty much gets you there. One place is off the grid, so free sun power to recharge. The run to town is 1/2 EV, half gas. So the mileage is great. But then when it needs to go the length of CA, which it does several times a year, or camping you just run it on gas. I originally tried to talk her into an all gas model as I too felt the low mileage of the EV was gimmicky. But I have to admit that it has worked out really well. She is getting great mileage with our typical use. Yes, the lack of a spare is lame. We put a cargo basket and bought a real spare to carry when going off pavement. But then we would have had to do the same with an all gas model as a donut spare doesn't cut it for where we go. When around town we rely on the fix a flat or a tow truck.

As to it's either EV or gas, I disagree. The current EV offerings wouldn't work for us. The roads here are rough as we live in the sticks and a Tesla (price notwithstanding) isn't going to hold up well. We also use the CT to tow a trailer loaded with a lot of stuff, not doing that with an all electric. The range of the EV as well as the charge time still doesn't work for long trips or off pavement adventures. If the range of the EV side of the hybrid was double or triple I would be really happy and feel it was a perfect fit.

So, is there a place for the hybrid? I think so. The use case is the determining factor here and I admit that the appropriate use case is narrow and that it wouldn't work for many folks. Works for us though. My wife also feels that encouraging manufacturers to work towards new technologies is important.
If the Crosstrek got the 42 miles that the RAV4 Prime gets, I would immediately trade in my Crosstrek Hybrid for it. The 42 miles would give me access to more places that I go to on a semi-regular basis.

Registered
If the Crosstrek got the 42 miles that the RAV4 Prime gets, I would immediately trade in my Crosstrek Hybrid for it. The 42 miles would give me access to more places that I go to on a semi-regular basis.
Yeah, I sure wish it got 42. But I'd still rather have the Crosstrek. But if the CT got 42 miles EV they would sell more of them and I'd be happy as a pig in fecal material!

Registered
Yeah, I sure wish it got 42. But I'd still rather have the Crosstrek. But if the CT got 42 miles EV they would sell more of them and I'd be happy as a pig in fecal material!
Right! I personally love the size of the Crosstrek and all of the features it has compared to the Toyota. I don't need a car the size of the RAV4 (besides my wife already has one!). The Crosstrek fits in my garage perfectly with plenty of room to work on it with the door closed and do all of my car care stuff to it. They would sell double or more if the Crosstrek got 42 miles of EV and cut into the sales of the RAV4 Prime and others in that range.

Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
I've got nothing against the hybrid the only potential negative I can see, is the lack of experience working on them by the dealership.

Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
You need a new calculator then. Lots of people make short trips that can be done completely on battery. I have a friend with a hybrid Jeep that runs 95% on battery. One tank of gas lasts him almost 2 months.
That's pretty snarky. You don't know our situation and, after just three posts, are making a pretty substantive statement. It's neither your car, nor a Crosstrek. Not even a Subaru! You're posting about a friend who has a hybrid Jeep... :rolleyes:

Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
You need a new calculator then. Lots of people make short trips that can be done completely on battery.
Sigh. How in the world can you tell someone who did the maths based on their personal situation that they didn't know how to calculate? Lots of people don't have a car either, so what... all of XVforum members should sell theirs?

It comes down to the same bloody issue every. single. time. What works for X, doesn't work for Y, period.
Everyone is perfectly aware of their location, gas price, electricity price, driving habits, average distances, origin, destination, climate, and financial incentives. For some, a hybrid (yes, even the Crosstrek) makes perfect sense and will pay off. For others, it's a complete waste of money. End of debate.

Registered
That's pretty snarky. You don't know our situation and, after just three posts, are making a pretty substantive statement. It's neither your car, nor a Crosstrek. Not even a Subaru! You're posting about a friend who has a hybrid Jeep... :rolleyes:
Yup. Taking your side here. #1 is you need to be able to plug in at home. It is simply not worth owning if you have no way to plug in at home and I know your story all too well that you can't plug in at home so it doesn't make sense. If you were able to plug in at home, then you can move onto the other assessments of feasibility.

Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
Yup. Taking your side here. #1 is you need to be able to plug in at home. It is simply not worth owning if you have no way to plug in at home and I know your story all too well that you can't plug in at home so it doesn't make sense. If you were able to plug in at home, then you can move onto the other assessments of feasibility.
I had a Kona EV (just sold it) for 3 years, and never had to pay for a charge, incl at home. I used free chargers on trips, but more importantly I had a free L2 charger which I used extensively just a 15 minute walk from where I live.

But that does not work if you live in a high crime area, where sooner or later your car will be vandalized, or worse. Solution is to move to a more safe neighbourhood, or someplace with an enclosed garage where you can charge safely.

Registered
I had a Kona EV (just sold it) for 3 years, and never had to pay for a charge, incl at home. I used free chargers on trips, but more importantly I had a free L2 charger which I used extensively just a 15 minute walk from where I live.

But that does not work if you live in a high crime area, where sooner or later your car will be vandalized, or worse. Solution is to move to a more safe neighbourhood, or someplace with an enclosed garage where you can charge safely.
Yeah, I watched a video recently about charging stations how they're not always in the best locations and there is nothing to stop anyone from pushing a button to stop your charging session. Definitely something charging companies need to fix, but at least my local charging station a mile up the road has no such feature and I just plug in and the cable is locked to the car so no one can unplug it and it starts charging right away (volta charger).

Premium Member
2020 Hybrid Crosstrek
My addition to this conversation would be to suggest that for some of us it鈥檚 a lot more than about the money we might be able to save (or not!) by running off of electricity versus gas. As the climate news gets more and more ominous, and understanding that the carbon footprint of electricity depends on how it is generated and is never going to be zero, I still try and act like gas costs more like $10 a gallon and plan my driving accordingly. I know that my decisions will have no measurable impact on the crisis that is growing, and I鈥檓 not ready to get around on foot or bicycle, but I am still quite happy to be contributing a little less to the crisis with my PHEV Crosstrek (running it close to 50% in EV) than I would have been with my previous all-gas Crosstrek, and maybe helping to move the new technology ahead some.

Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
My addition to this conversation would be to suggest that for some of us it鈥檚 a lot more than about the money we might be able to save (or not!) by running off of electricity versus gas. As the climate news gets more and more ominous, and understanding that the carbon footprint of electricity depends on how it is generated and is never going to be zero, I still try and act like gas costs more like $10 a gallon and plan my driving accordingly. I know that my decisions will have no measurable impact on the crisis that is growing, and I鈥檓 not ready to get around on foot or bicycle, but I am still quite happy to be contributing a little less to the crisis with my PHEV Crosstrek (running it close to 50% in EV) than I would have been with my previous all-gas Crosstrek, and maybe helping to move the new technology ahead some.
I'm skeptical of the overall claims. @R P is in a somewhat unique situation as he has free charging and their electricity generation is hydro. In most of the U.S. it's gas or oil, and the charging infrastructure isn't in place yet so you're limited to how much you can drive EV. I'll still take a look at what's on offer, though, next time we need a new car.

Registered
I'm skeptical of the overall claims. @R P is in a somewhat unique situation as he has free charging and their electricity generation is hydro. In most of the U.S. it's gas or oil, and the charging infrastructure isn't in place yet so you're limited to how much you can drive EV. I'll still take a look at what's on offer, though, next time we need a new car.
Yeah, I have options to pick renewable vs regular. We have hydro, wind, and nuclear on our grid.

On a side note, I had to be out on a job site yesterday and ended up driving just over 66 miles in total, got 23.1 miles in EV before the engine kicked on. By the time I got home, car said I got 65.0 mpg. Not bad to have only used a gallon of gas to drive that much.

Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
I'm curious what will next gen Impreza / Crosstrek bring in terms of a hybrid. Kudos to all manufacturers offering EVs, but the fact remains that they are a total no-go for a significant percentage of the population, and will remain so for the next decade or more.

Hybrids, IMHO, as much as they suffer from excessive weight, and all the issues, cost and maintenance pertaining to the ICE inside, can be an excellent interim solution. The Rav4 Prime is a stellar example of that. Did the financial math for the Crosstrek PHEV- wasn't worth it for me (plus, the cargo space reduction was a no-go either). Part of me is disappointed, I wish it did though. Oh and the lack of a tachometer is utterly revolting :mad:

Registered
I'm curious what will next gen Impreza / Crosstrek bring in terms of a hybrid. Kudos to all manufacturers offering EVs, but the fact remains that they are a total no-go for a significant percentage of the population, and will remain so for the next decade or more.

Hybrids, IMHO, as much as they suffer from excessive weight, and all the issues, cost and maintenance pertaining to the ICE inside, can be an excellent interim solution. The Rav4 Prime is a stellar example of that. Did the financial math for the Crosstrek PHEV- wasn't worth it for me (plus, the cargo space reduction was a no-go either). Part of me is disappointed, I wish it did though. Oh and the lack of a tachometer is utterly revolting :mad:
Yeah, I quickly forgot about the tach in the first month of ownership. I knew going into it the cargo space was less and I'm a bit bummed it didn't come with a retractable cargo cover, but it's not bad overall. I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in there sideways, but need to pull the drivers out to lay them on top of the bags. If I needed more space it's easy enough to drop the back seats down.

One of the things I tell people when they shop for a car is to take stuff with you and load the new car up with stuff. If it can't fit the stuff you want, then it's not a car for you. Although my curling broom doesn't fit in the back, it's not that often I need it in the car since I keep it in my locker at the club.

Registered
I was also strongly considering the Crosstrek Hybrid - did the test drive and had order form in my hand. Decided not to for a few reasons. First off as some have said the small range is only around 20 miles. I feel like the technology has evolved since it first launched and this should be closer to 40 now. I like the idea of 35+ mpg combined compared to my 20 mpg now in my OBXT, but, I am thinking there will be an OB Hybrid of some sorts in the future. That will be what I am after.

Registered
I was also strongly considering the Crosstrek Hybrid - did the test drive and had order form in my hand. Decided not to for a few reasons. First off as some have said the small range is only around 20 miles. I feel like the technology has evolved since it first launched and this should be closer to 40 now. I like the idea of 35+ mpg combined compared to my 20 mpg now in my OBXT, but, I am thinking there will be an OB Hybrid of some sorts in the future. That will be what I am after.
Agree, if you're not ready to purchase, wait for the technology. I certainly hope you're right that we will see an Outback or Forester plug-in. If the Crosstrek gets 40mi at some point, I would highly consider selling mine to get that otherwise I would probably go all electric (waiting to see the BMW i4 come in off lease in 3 years).

Registered
Forester plug in would be an excellent option. I liked my Forester very much, and probably should have just bought out my lease.

I suppose it will be whichever comes first. I鈥檇 be happy with either the Forester or Outback (PHEV), they seem to go back and forth with tech as the models update with the big and mini refreshes.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts