Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
I have some comments but this one looks like it's heading down a slippery political slope.

A couple of practical (or rather impractical) issues are that outside of big cities, fast charging infrastructure isn't there yet, and that many people live in condos and can't easily plug in over night.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,336 Posts
Ugh. All the arguing for or againt PHEVs and EVs stem from one single massive brain fart: failing to comprehend that what works for X won't work for Y.
That's exactly it, but it's something that some of the evangelists here are seemingly unable to accept. EV and hybrid products have make real technological and design advancements over the last decade, but for most peoples' real-world needs they are still very much works in progress, and not necessarily the best solution -- or even a viable one. Talking down to strong majority of car-owners who understand that reflects an embarrassing level of myopic, condescending ignorance that isn't appropriate for mature discussion.

Subaru doesn't break out the sales figures for its hybrid Crosstrek separately because the numbers are so ludicrously small, but I think it's a reasonable guess that only 2 to 3 percent of Crosstreks sold are hybrids. There's no doubt that percentage will change very substantially over the next decade or so as the tech improves and the country's charging infrastructure is built-out. I'm looking forward to watching that transition happen, and to the likelihood that EV tech will advance to the point where it will work for me by the time I buy my next car. But in the meantime I'll respect the judgement of the 98% of Subaru buyers who understand that at the moment, an internal-combustion car is the best fit for their needs.

·
Registered
578 Posts
EVs are the future. They will work better when you can just drive into a service station and swap out a battery module. It will happen. All batteries are standardised at some point once there is enough acceptance of use. Hybrids on the other hand are not a good idea. They are not even remotely hybrid. They run for the vast vast majority of time on an inefficient combustion engine carrying huge amounts of wasted weight. There is nothing remotely green about a hybrid. A far more environmentally friendly option would be to use an efficient combustion engine only car. I’d rather drive around in an efficient car with very low emissions than an inefficient mini tank with a green badge on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am interested in a hybrid for our next car , but the major sticking point for me is the overall complexity of hybrids and the potential cost when things break. If we went down this path it may be the first time I consider and extended warranty.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't believe we'll be swapping out batter modules...
That is like saying I don’t think movies will ever be available on a cassette like VHS or Betamax. Do you really think the future is people hanging out at the interstate ‘gas station’ waiting for a charge up in the batteries? Batteries can be standardised. And will be. There will be a quick plug and play loading unit. Very easy technology.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
That is like saying I don’t think movies will ever be available on a cassette like VHS or Betamax. Do you really think the future is people hanging out at the interstate ‘gas station’ waiting for a charge up in the batteries? Batteries can be standardised. And will be. There will be a quick plug and play loading unit. Very easy technology.
Just my opinion, based on what I read about upcoming technology. I think it more likely we'll have supercapacitors that "fill up" as quickly as a tank of gas. Standardized batteries for every make and model of vehicle on the road and an infrastructure of vendors, with a selection of batteries, and the equipment and personnel to swap them, being as commonplace as gas stations just doesn't seem feasible to me. Of course, I could be wrong, it's all speculation at this point, although you seem absolutely adamant that your belief is the correct one...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Super capacitors would be good. What ever it is it has to be quick like filling up with petrol/gas for EVs to be attractive. The current EV charge is the equivalent of stoking the coal fire in a steam engine all morning to get the steam pressure up before you can move the loco. Tech will need to advance. And it will of course.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
The current EV charge is the equivalent of stoking the coal fire in a steam engine all morning to get the steam pressure up before you can move the loco. Tech will need to advance. And it will of course.
Ha, ha, that's a good analogy!

Hydrogen is a good option also. Solar cells in sunny places with a water supply could be the new oil wells, similar fill up time to gasoline, and the only emission is water vapor.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,022 Posts
Loving my 2021 Limited and I reserved a Solterra, but it may be too expensive. Now I am thinking about a Crosstrek Hybrid. Any thoughts on how it may differ from my limited in the US market?
Just finished reading all of the tangents from others and looks like only one other person actually owns the car you're looking at.

I've had my 2019 hybrid for almost 3 years now and I love it. Most of my daily driving is all EV and it's less than $1 to charge (I need to see how this other person is able to find their overnight charging rate because that will change my calcs for the better). I calculated mine straight from my electric bill and is probably too high at $0.13/kWh.

As far as differences between Limited and Hybrid, the Hybrid has all that the Limited offers and includes 10 years of Starlink included ($1300 value just about unless prices went up). This allows you to set charging schedules remotely and remote start your car from anywhere (and that only uses the battery so it's not running the gas engine like all those standard Crosstreks out there). The only package offered includes moonroof, upgraded stereo, nav, and heated steering wheel (can't get heated steering wheel in ICE Crosstreks). I paid $34k for the car before Tax Credit so I was at $29,500 when factored in.

For quickness, the Hybrid is a full second faster than the 2.0 Crosstreks and weighs 500lbs more. It's almost as fast as the 2.5 Crosstrek as well (yay for instant torque!). It also has a more balanced weight distribution with the battery pack in the back and handles better than the standard Crosstreks.

For range, EPA rates it at 17mi and my guess is that's with the climate control on. If you don't have it on and the weather is relatively decent (50s or more), I can get up to 25.5 miles on a charge. In the winter, I'm around 17-19 miles and don't use the climate control much. I haven't seen any range drop in the battery so far and I've charged it around 420 times.

I've filled my car 18 times in almost 34 months and am averaging over 90mpg lifetime. In fact, I had a trip yesterday that was just over 50 miles and returned 63 mpg. You're not getting anywhere close to that in a standard Crosstrek. I've done 200+ mile trips and still return over 40 mpg and it's better than I could have done in my 2015 Legacy which could only do 36 mpg at its best.

Emissions or not, this car is more efficient than a standard Crosstrek and costs less per mile to drive. I'm at $0.05 per mile to drive this car which is half of what I was getting with my 2015 Legacy.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I do. I’ve had mine for just about a full year, put ~5000 miles on, and have filled the 13 gallon tank 3 times. After tax credits, the Hybrid was only $2k more in price (actually less for me since the dealers were willing to negotiate more on the hybrids for some reason). Not to mention HOV access, front row parking in garages, etc. Just because a product doesn’t fit your lifestyle, doesn’t make it useless for everyone.

And before AstroKats jumps in and tells me I need to factor in the cost of electricity, my overnight rate is .06/kWH. So it costs me about ~$.45 -.50 to “fill” the battery.

OP: you’re going to find the most negative / anti EV folks here on this forum, so not much of a point asking your question here. Do the math based on your driving habits and make the decision. If it were me, I’d wait to see what 2023 MY brings before pulling the trigger. Also, in my opinion there are way better options out there for a full EV vehicle in the Solterra price range. I‘d caution about buying that simply for the Subaru badge.
How do you figure out your overnight rates? I've just been assuming the rates from my bill which is $0.13/kWh.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How do you figure out your overnight rates? I've just been assuming the rates from my bill which is $0.13/kWh.
Sorry, overnight rate was probably a bad choice of words. It’s technically “off-peak”. My electric company has the option of selecting either the standard flat rate of .12kwh, or selecting the peak/off peak plan. Peak rates are around .18kwh (2-6pm June-sept), and off peak is around .06kwh. It does vary from time to time, but that’s been the average over the last couple of years.
Check with your electric service company and see if they have a peak/off peak plan. Might make sense for you!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
No problem. The biggest gripe for me with this car is the limited fast charging capability. Even on a level 2 charger, it still takes like 3 hours to completely charge and get 17 miles back. If it wasn’t limited to that and you could recharge on a level 2 in like 30 minutes, would be a massive improvement in the EV experience of this vehicle. I think @dpc166 would agree with me :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No problem. The biggest gripe for me with this car is the limited fast charging capability. Even on a level 2 charger, it still takes like 3 hours to completely charge and get 17 miles back. If it wasn’t limited to that and you could recharge on a level 2 in like 30 minutes, would be a massive improvement in the EV experience of this vehicle. I think @dpc166 would agree with me :)
Certainly. If it had a 6.6 kW onboard charger, it would be a vast improvement when I go a mile up the road for groceries and use the free Volta charging station. It would certainly cut down on charging at home and be more FREE! Also, some chargepoint chargers at Whole Foods is free to use and there's no way I would charge the car away from home if it wasn't free.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry, overnight rate was probably a bad choice of words. It’s technically “off-peak”. My electric company has the option of selecting either the standard flat rate of .12kwh, or selecting the peak/off peak plan. Peak rates are around .18kwh (2-6pm June-sept), and off peak is around .06kwh. It does vary from time to time, but that’s been the average over the last couple of years.
Check with your electric service company and see if they have a peak/off peak plan. Might make sense for you!
Thanks. I just checked and saw what their rates are for 'Time-of-Use' plan. Definitely worth checking it out because their super off peak price from midnight to 6am is $0.03! That's a good savings vs the $0.07 for the general rate. If I do end up switching, I'll just have to make sure that we don't do any unnecessary power usage between 2pm and 6pm because that's $0.20.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Does the Crosstrek hybrid have some kind of battery cooling system? I've noticed on some other brands that they actually pump radiator fluid around the battery to keep it cool or warm it up.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Does the Crosstrek hybrid have some kind of battery cooling system? I've noticed on some other brands that they actually pump radiator fluid around the battery to keep it cool or warm it up.
Yup, it uses the same coolant as the radiator to cool the battery pack as well as a fan system in the back of the car to keep it cool while charging.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks. I just checked and saw what their rates are for 'Time-of-Use' plan. Definitely worth checking it out because their super off peak price from midnight to 6am is $0.03! That's a good savings vs the $0.07 for the general rate. If I do end up switching, I'll just have to make sure that we don't do any unnecessary power usage between 2pm and 6pm because that's $0.20.
Good to hear! Yes it can be a fairly significant savings if you can manage your time you're using power. I'd say even more so for those folks that have true L2 chargers with full EV's at home. Imagine charging your Tesla at .03! 🤑

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
Good to hear! Yes it can be a fairly significant savings if you can manage your time you're using power. I'd say even more so for those folks that have true L2 chargers with full EV's at home. Imagine charging your Tesla at .03! 🤑
Only for those of us who have easy charging at home...

21 - 40 of 82 Posts