Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my 2021 Limited and I reserved a Solterra, but it may be too expensive. Now I am thinking about a Crosstrek Hybrid. Any thoughts on how it may differ from my limited in the US market?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don’t see the benefits of a hybrid. It’s a gimmick. Why bother tuning down a fully capable 2.0 for no reason and strap on a whole heap of heavy electrical motor and battery and lug it around along with a combustion engine just to go a few kilometres on battery. And also lose the spare tyre. It’s either EV or petrol/gas. One or the other. Soon it will be pure EV in a decade or two and people will look back on hybrid saying what was all that for?

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
I don’t see the benefits of a hybrid. It’s a gimmick. Why bother tuning down a fully capable 2.0 for no reason and strap on a whole heap of heavy electrical motor and battery and lug it around along with a combustion engine just to go a few kilometres on battery. And also lose the spare tyre. It’s either EV or petrol/gas. One or the other. Soon it will be pure EV in a decade or two and people will look back on hybrid saying what was all that for?
Same here, I've done the math and a hybrid makes no financial sense for us.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Same here, I've done the math and a hybrid makes no financial sense for us.
It also makes no environmental sense. You are driving around with an engine that has been tuned down in output from its normal efficient level and carrying a huge amount of weight. I just can’t see how the minor efficiency from using the electric motor for such a ridiculously small amount of time will override the inefficiency of the tuned down engine and extra weight you carry around.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you consider the US , and the ability to efficiently travel in it's many remote areas, hybrid is the only really viable option. Full electric around town and such is a no brainer, but it isn't going to work across the board without massive advancements in that technology.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,331 Posts
Loving my 2021 Limited and I reserved a Solterra, but it may be too expensive. Now I am thinking about a Crosstrek Hybrid. Any thoughts on how it may differ from my limited in the US market?
Yeah, from the sound of things the Solterra is likely to start in the mid-40s and go up from there, and the more I read about it the more it sounds like a case study in how EV technology is still a work in progress, and not really practical for the vast majority of us. Besides, the Solterra is really just a Toyota in drag, not a Subaru.

I honestly think the same thing can be said for the Crosstrek hybrid, unless you're specifically looking for a low-mileage commuter car. That said, who knows what the next model year will bring for the hybrid, since there's supposed to be a full redesign in store for the 2023 Crosstrek. Maybe we'll get a more-practical hybrid next year? Or maybe not.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,169 Posts
Numerous articles on the subject can be found in New Scientist, Scientific American and the list goes on.

Plug-in hybrids in new emissions scandal as tests show higher pollution than claimed - Transport & Environment
Honestly, the information in the article is not surprising to me. I've always suspected a shell game was involved in the selling of the hybrid vehicles. What I would like to know, and the article never touches, is how do the hybrid vehicles compare to straight ICE vehicles in emissions. The article says that the hybrid vehicles emit 6 to 12 times more than claimed, but how do they compare to their alter-ego ICE vehicle?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean, "how it might differ"?
Specs and features of all trims and models, along with a plethora of review are available online...
Yes, a number of reviews and data online but, I like the 2.5l in my limited and am looking more for performance specs on acceleration etc. I think it's time for a test drive if I can find one in my area. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don’t see the benefits of a hybrid. It’s a gimmick.
I do. I’ve had mine for just about a full year, put ~5000 miles on, and have filled the 13 gallon tank 3 times. After tax credits, the Hybrid was only $2k more in price (actually less for me since the dealers were willing to negotiate more on the hybrids for some reason). Not to mention HOV access, front row parking in garages, etc. Just because a product doesn’t fit your lifestyle, doesn’t make it useless for everyone.

And before AstroKats jumps in and tells me I need to factor in the cost of electricity, my overnight rate is .06/kWH. So it costs me about ~$.45 -.50 to “fill” the battery.

OP: you’re going to find the most negative / anti EV folks here on this forum, so not much of a point asking your question here. Do the math based on your driving habits and make the decision. If it were me, I’d wait to see what 2023 MY brings before pulling the trigger. Also, in my opinion there are way better options out there for a full EV vehicle in the Solterra price range. I‘d caution about buying that simply for the Subaru badge.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,158 Posts
LOL, btw, I'm not anti-EV, just curious how they compare. At that electricity price you're getting a great rate on miles you can drive EV, compared to what gas would cost.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do. I’ve had mine for just about a full year, put ~5000 miles on, and have filled the 13 gallon tank 3 times. After tax credits, the Hybrid was only $2k more in price (actually less for me since the dealers were willing to negotiate more on the hybrids for some reason). Not to mention HOV access, front row parking in garages, etc. Just because a product doesn’t fit your lifestyle, doesn’t make it useless for everyone.

And before AstroKats jumps in and tells me I need to factor in the cost of electricity, my overnight rate is .06/kWH. So it costs me about ~$.45 -.50 to “fill” the battery.

OP: you’re going to find the most negative / anti EV folks here on this forum, so not much of a point asking your question here. Do the math based on your driving habits and make the decision. If it were me, I’d wait to see what 2023 MY brings before pulling the trigger. Also, in my opinion there are way better options out there for a full EV vehicle in the Solterra price range. I‘d caution about buying that simply for the Subaru badge.
Thank you, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,125 Posts
Yeah, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the non-EV owners always seem to think they know more than the actual EV-owners. I don't bother arguing with them here on this forum anymore, as they don't want to listen to real experiences and facts. They are stuck deep in their old fallacious arguments about range, charging infrastructure, batteries and costs.

So those of you who are genuinely interested in EVs or PHEVs, be careful whose advice you listen to. And you may want to join some EV forums where you can get the straight goods.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
796 Posts
Ugh. All the arguing for or againt PHEVs and EVs stem from one single massive brain fart: failing to comprehend that what works for X won't work for Y.

Everyone has access to a vehicle price, incentives, all the specifications, range and is aware his/her driving habits, typical itineraries, electricity price and fuel price. Guess what, people are even aware of where they live and what they need! That, and that only is a basis for a very personal decision. The Crosstrek PHEV has been criticised at nauseam for its low EV-only range given the price, or for just being too expensive, or.... Yet it has proven to be perfectly adequate for some. Otherwise noone would have bought it.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, JDM Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
475 Posts
A major advantage of EVs is that governments around the world are pushing them - so you get tax incentives and cash back and all sorts... you do not pay 'fuel tax' when charging your EV. So all this is saving you personally some money. One of the lads on UKLegacy forum gave quite a good analysis. I did consider the Crosstrek Hybrid when we came to Canada - but my wife's commute is too long to give us any benefit at all.
I don't really approve of taking tax-payers money to fund these things - if they work they should stand on their own two feet! - but you can't fight battles on every front :ROFLMAO:
Although I am not a 'greenie' I also consider that used EV batteries are a serious major pollutant - unlike CO2 which has been shown to the actually greening the planet :p

1 - 20 of 68 Posts