Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my 2020 Sunshine Orange Crosstrek Sport in February 2020. We promptly got a snow storm the day after. We decided to name her Cheeto.

2020 Mar 09

My dash cam is an Aukey DR02 Dual camera. Anyways, I wanted a clean installation. To keep the cameras functional even in bad weather, I decided they would need to be installed where they would be in the path of the wiper blades.

The front camera is installed just to the left of the EyeSight cameras. I placed it there because its pretty much right above the driver's head, giving the camera view a good idea of what the driver would see. Placing it on the right side of the EyeSight cameras would result in the wipers not cleaning the glass in front of the camera. I placed the camera as far up as I could, so that the dash cam would not be in view of the EyeSight system. Its the perfect size; since the EyeSight cameras are recessed in the plastic housing, there is no way that the dash cam would be obstructing the camera's view. The wedge shape of the dash cam, and the fact that it is mounted directly to the windshield would also minimize any reflections caused by the camera.

As for the rear camera, it is mounted directly below the high-mount brake light, on the inside of the glass. This position allows it to catch the top arch of the rear wiper blade. As you can see, the wiring is hidden behind the trunk panels for a clean look.

Here is how all the wires are fed:
The rear camera requires a connection to the front camera, which acts as a hub. So the rear camera wire is fed behind the interior panels of the liftgate, through the rubber tube on the right side, into the cabin. From there I removed some of the interior trim so I could hide the wire in the headliner. The wire is carefully guided around all the airbags in the headliner, and fed all the way down the passenger A-pillar. From there it goes through the footwell, behind the centre console and up the driver's A-pillar to the front dash cam at the top of the windshield. Originally I was going to mount the dash cam on the passenger side, until I noticed the wiper wouldn't pass over the glass in front of the camera, hence the wiring for the rear is all on the passenger side instead of the driver's side.
The front camera has an input from the rear camera, and a power input. The cable for the power goes through the headliner, down the driver's A-pillar through the footwell and through the centre console to reach the cigarette lighter power adaptor in the centre console.

All in all, the install I feel is really clean, and the cameras are amazing. They are both 1080p and have a very wide field of view. The cameras turn on within 10 seconds of receiving power. Unfortunately, I've already gotten my use out of it as it recorded my first accident with the car perfectly.

2020 March 27
One thing that I got with the car that wasn’t evident in the initial photos was the 17” STI rims. When I bought the car, I had the dealership put the stock tires on the STI rims and put winter rubber on the factory included rims. In the spring, I was finally able to put them on.

2020 April 01
After a short while, I got sick of looking at the silver lugs, so I decided to get some lug covers. They are pretty good, but I think down the road, I’ll probably get some proper black lugs nuts.

2020 April 13
Now that I got the summer wheels on, I decided to take my car on its first photo shoot.

2020 April 20
Any Subaru SUV looks naked, in my opinion, without some propert mudflaps. I was torn between RokBloks and the RallyArmor, but in the end I chose the RallyArmor’s for two reasons: No drilling and ease of installation. I’ve owned Subarus before, so I have experience with RA’s and they have never let me down. It took me a while to find a set with orange lettering on them. But when they arrived, I was not disappointed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2020 April 28
I've never been a fan of chrome, so I decided to try and eliminate as much of it as I could from my car. So the first thing that had to go was the rear lettering. I was able to order some OEM black letters from the dealer. Since the lettering was from the 2016 Special Edition, the template they came on didn’t fit my car. I used painters tape to outline where the letters were before removing the factory chrome ones. Then I was able to put the black ones in its place with precision. Overall it turned out great! After installing the black lettering, I gave my car its first proper 3 stage detail. Clay bar, polish and wax. The trek was looking mint.

2020 May 08
Next step in removing chrome was in the grill I got some black and orange emblems, and some black vinyl to wrap the winglets. Since May was still a cold month in Canada, I decided to remove the grill and bring it inside. With the grill removed, removing and reinstalling the winglets was pretty easy. I managed to do it without breaking any of the clips.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2020 July 18
The summer got busy, but I finally got around to changing out the back emblem. This was much harder as the emblem is recessed into the trunk garnish, making it difficult to pry off without damaging the paint on the plastic. So I took the extra step and removed the garnish entirely, so I can push the emblem out from behind. All the effort was worth it.

2020 July 30
I was pretty disappointed with the lacklustre trunk light. So I bought a Diode Dynamics Flex Strip and hooked it up to the trunk light, running the wire through the side panel, and through the headliner. The difference was literally night and day. Even my Dogs appreciated it.

2020 September 22
I use the cubby in front of the gear selector to store/charge my iPhone and my Apple Watch while I drive. Unfortunately, the gloss black trim started to get scratched up. I got some carbon fibre looking vinyl from Premium Auto Styling and was able to nicely cover up most of the piano black.

2020 December 22
I got my car in February of 2020 with the OEM Subaru all weather mats. Although they were alright, I didn’t like how they didn’t protect the entire footwell area. Previously I bought WeatherTech mats, but this time around, I decided to get some Husky mats. Two main reasons: The husky mats have little spikes on the bottom that prevent them from moving; the WeatherTech’s do not. Secondly, the Husky mats COVER the fuel cap release lever. In previous cars, I was sick of dirt, salt and other crap getting stuck inside. Now that its covered, that problem goes away. The Husky mats I found were also more flexible and “soft”, which actually made them less slippery and more comfortable to rest your feet on. And unlike the WeatherTech mats, the Husky mats cover the entire dead pedal.

2021 Feb 03
My Diode Dynamics SS3 Max fog lights came in. Despite it being the middle of winter here, I decided to go to my parent's underground garage and quickly install the fog lights. Holy moly these things are BRIGHT. I purchased the white SS3's but also purchased the yellow lens. For those who don't know, the LED diodes on the SS3's differ if you buy the white pods vs. the yellow ones. The white pods' diodes emit light at around 5500k, whereas the yellow ones emit light at around 3800k. My setup gives the fogs a more "modern" yellow, vs the deep "softer" yellow others prefer Overall I'm really happy with the way they look, and I think they suit the car really well.

2021 Feb 17
After some time with the bumper off, I finally figured out a decent way to mount my new orange Hella Horns without extra drilling or anything. I used the SubiMods v4 Universal harness and their mounting bracket to complete the install. There's not much more to say other than BEEP BEEP.

2021 April 08

Living in southern Ontario, Canada I spend a lot of time on a major highway, known as the 401. Unfortunately this means that I have to deal with drivers who don't always know how to properly use headlights. There are an abundance of drivers who own vehicles with mis-aimed headlights, lifted cars that don't adjust their headlights or people who just drive with their high beams on all the time. So I decided to do something about it.

First thing I did was tint the windows. Other than the windshield, I got all the other windows tinted. Windows on the side were covered with 35%. This was on top of any factory tint for the windows behind the B-pillar. The rear hatch window got 20% tint on top of the factory tint. This I hope will make the car cooler during the summer months, make it harder to see in when parked, and thanks to the 20% tint on the rear hatch window, reduce the glare from all those headlights shining in.

Here's a picture before:

And after:

2021 April 13

In addition to aid with the headlights intruding into the cabin, I picked up a set of auto dimming mirrors from Subaru. Once installed and combined with the tint, they eliminated my issue with headlights on the highway. Although initially I thought the two combined would be too dark, I found that not to be the case. The elimination of glare while driving at night, even if someone has their high beams on behind me is quite satisfying. Parking and reversing at night is not a problem either as the mirrors automatically un-tint when in reverse and the 35% tint on the driver and passenger sides is not dark enough to obstruct the view. Overall, I am very happy with my setup.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reserved (1/2)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reserved (2/2)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
I like the dog pic!

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
116 Posts
Cheeto is looking good!

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
335 Posts
Amazing job - and great write up - subscribed :cool:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 15 Apr 2021 - Added Tints & auto dimming mirrors.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how difficult is it to add the auto dim side mirrors?
Honestly, I had the dealer install them. I had them installed when my car was in for the 50,000 km service. Since my car was there already, and I have a good report with the service department, they offered to install the mirrors with no labour charge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What a journey!

I came from a lifted truck, and the headlights as well as following distance of other cars and even when at stoplights has definitely gotten a little too close for comfort in this thing already. I planned on going limo tint all the way around, even though I know the front windows will be a bit harsh during early morning drives to work, but mainly because it's lower to the ground and easier to see in. Definitely going darker than dark in the rears to help with the headlights blinding me, because I also do not have an auto dimming mirror and Subaru wants a lot for that feature. I always knew in my truck I was "that guy" blinding poor drivers lower to the ground, even after adjusting the headlights it was just unavoidable. Now I share their pain. Karma. Anyways, I am enjoying these threads and yours stuck out to me more than most for the simple and subtle upgrades that can make a major difference. Can I ask, where is it you are parked in the picture with the fog lights? Which, btw, look amazing! I also like those floor mats much more than my weather techs, but on Amazon it says they don't fit in the 2021? I would really like something that covers ALL of the carpet in the doorway. Maybe I will just use a small thin strip of plastic liner sorts and run it under the floor mats and under the plastic just after the weather-stripping. Seems easy enough.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I ask, where is it you are parked in the picture with the fog lights?
If you are referring to this picture:

This was taken at a local GO/Carpool parking lot in Pickering, Ontario.

If you were referring to this photo:

This was taken in the underground parking of my parents condo in Mississauga, Ontario.

Reactions: Graphite
1 - 14 of 14 Posts