Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
831 Posts
I remember my 66' Nova with the GM Powerglide. The two speeds, "very slow" and "everything else" couldn't be complained about as the transmission was nearly bulletproof and it is still used in some drag cars. The transmission was pretty heavy (even with the newer aluminum case,) never locked up, and seemed to be slipping even when it wasn't. The powerglide was pretty good for its time. I'll take the Subaru CVT over the powerglide, no problem. Seems to work pretty well to me and I suspect it is pretty light compared to the old stuff.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fun fact: It was Leonardo Da Vinci who first conceptualized the CVT 500 years ago. What a guy that Leo. Smart.

My two Toyotas are manny trannies. The 5-speed truck is fine. Got some kewl factor. Low theft factor 'cause how many wannabe jackers know how to clutch and shift - it is a mystery to them. The 4-speed RV is continually tedious because the power to weight ratio is miserable and I am constantly shifting on even the slightest grades - got maybe 98 hp peak to work with pushing a relatively primitive vehicle weighing ~3500 pounds plus meat cargo.

I went auto when I got my 2004 Forester (which IMHO was not a great tranny at all) because of an incident in which I dorked up my left knee. I had my 5-speed 2003 Impreza at the time and the pain of having to push in that clutch - it was actualy easier to drive my truck. The knee got all better, but a lesson was taught. And I don't really miss being all shifty. I'm not sport driving around town anyways. I can always paddle up or down if I have the want. The Crosstrek does have that "8-speed" emulation after all. But I'm not really crazy about the paddle shifters and kinda wish the "shifting" was on the stick.

I'll throw in here that one of my first cars was a 1967 Rambler American, basic, two-door, three on the tree. But it had a bench seat up front (wink wink) something that is pretty much non-existent in cars and trucks today. I'm not advocating that this configuration be brought back, but it certainly had its merits.

All this Sturm and Drang about CVT vs manual vs auto will soon be coming to end anyways. The EVs are coming! The EVs are coming! No trannies at all. Press and go. In Silence. I can hear the gear heads wailing NOOOOOOO!

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Heh ... my first car was a '62 Rambler Ambassador, with a push-button transmission on the dash! But I also have 30 years of manual-only driving under my belt. No guilt about the CVT I drive now.

I sometimes wonder if the great-grandparents of today's gearheads were having similar anguish about the technological advancements of a century ago:

"Dadgum it, Ma! Those newfangled electric-start cars are ruining the driving experience for everybody. I mean, if a guy doesn't have the shoulder strength to start a car with a hand crank, he shouldn't even get behind the wheel!!" ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
As long as you replace the fluid in the CVT you should be okay. The problem is consumer believe in that “life time” fluid none sense and it ends up bitting them in the rear end down the road. If you believe in “life time” fluid(s) you are seriously mistaken because there is no such thing.

Also, if you want to do donuts/power slide in a Crosstrek with a CVT, (2018+) just turn off traction control and turn on X-mode. Donuts will be so easy! As Jeremiah Clarkson would say, “speed & power!” That’s all you need to power slide, LOL!
Well some CVTs (I can’t remember what manufacturers did this, probably Honda) make it so the fluid cannot be changed. You would literally have to pull the trans and split the case, as there is no drain plug. They claim the fluid wears with the transmission, and replacing the fluid would actually accelerate wear on the CVT.

As for donuts, I haven’t tried any in a 2018+, but I’ve heard x-mode is very good so I believe you. But in my 5spd, just turn the wheel a little bit, give it gas, and then push the clutch in and let it out quickly (clutch kick) and the car basically does donuts for you.I’ve never had an easier time with donuts and this is the most underpowered car I’ve owned haha. I love it!!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
594 Posts
Well some CVTs (I can’t remember what manufacturers did this, probably Honda) make it so the fluid cannot be changed. You would literally have to pull the trans and split the case, as there is no drain plug. They claim the fluid wears with the transmission, and replacing the fluid would actually accelerate wear on the CVT.
I can see Nissan making it part of their design so they force you to buy a new unit when it craps out. But I find it hard to believe Honda would do something like that... That’s my opinion though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can see Nissan making it part of their design so they force you to buy a new unit when it craps out. But I find it hard to believe Honda would do something like that... That’s my opinion though.
I do specifically remember a Honda Fit that was having issues around 70k miles and we couldn’t do anything about it, but most of the others certainly may have been nissans. So many cars in and out, and I don’t have the greatest memory haha.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I do specifically remember a Honda Fit that was having issues around 70k miles and we couldn’t do anything about it, but most of the others certainly may have been nissans. So many cars in and out, and I don’t have the greatest memory haha.
It's just another way for the manufacture to make money off of the consumer. They'll find some sort of way to stick it to us, LOL!

·
Registered
293 Posts

As for donuts, I haven’t tried any in a 2018+, but I’ve heard x-mode is very good so I believe you. But in my 5spd, just turn the wheel a little bit, give it gas, and then push the clutch in and let it out quickly (clutch kick) and the car basically does donuts for you.I’ve never had an easier time with donuts and this is the most underpowered car I’ve owned haha. I love it!!
Used to be that the battery in a cell phone was replaceable. Ain't so anymore. The battery is integrated. Battery goes TU, and they all do eventually, toss the whole unit out, buy a new phone. Buena suerte recycling the defunct cell phone.

FTR, I have done the donut in my CVT Crosstrek in nice snow-packed, and very open, parking lots. No disabling of any traction control functions. Just gotta get the right swing in.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Used to be that the battery in a cell phone was replaceable. Ain't so anymore. The battery is integrated. Battery goes TU, and they all do eventually, toss the whole unit out, buy a new phone. Buena suerte recycling the defunct cell phone.

FTR, I have done the donut in my CVT Crosstrek in nice snow-packed, and very open, parking lots. No disabling of any traction control functions. Just gotta get the right swing in.
I've tried doing donuts with the systems on and they're too aggressive. They kill the fun right away, haha. I've had better luck when TC is off and X-mode on.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
245 Posts
Just an aside here but I've had batteries replaced in a few of my iPhones over the years which extended their lives. I guess it may depend on what brand of cell phone you have. Perhaps, you're just talking about dumb phones rather than smart phones. If so, please disregard. 😬

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,824 Posts
Just an aside here but I've had batteries replaced in a few of my iPhones over the years which extended their lives. I guess it may depend on what brand of cell phone you have. Perhaps, you're just talking about dumb phones rather than smart phones. If so, please disregard. 😬
Yeah OAK got the replacement battery deal for her iPhone when they got sued over it. They did it at the local apple store. It was a lot easier to change phone batteries in the past, though...

Same with laptops. I used to carry spare batteries for long flights. Can't do that now.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Yep. I mean you CAN rip most phones apart and replace the battery, but you have to be very careful. Plus replacement batteries are usually either overpriced or they are junk (iPhone user here). It’s usually not worth it... just buy the next cheapest upgrade.

If I try to slide without turning things off, TC will always take over and actually shut my car off. It always cuts fuel to try to get traction back and since I’m in a 5 speed, it will just stall the engine :(

Large open areas are always fun but I always feel pretty badass if I can drift around a tight roundabout while keeping it in control. Of course I don’t recommend this, since you can easily wreck your car if you don’t keep it in control lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yep. I mean you CAN rip most phones apart and replace the battery, but you have to be very careful. Plus replacement batteries are usually either overpriced or they are junk (iPhone user here). It’s usually not worth it... just buy the next cheapest upgrade.
I disagree. If you're able to find someone that's able to get an OEM battery you should be fine. I recently replaced my battery Macbook and it's good as new.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,824 Posts
I disagree. If you're able to find someone that's able to get an OEM battery you should be fine. I recently replaced my battery Macbook and it's good as new.
Yeah, I've changed screens and batteries on phones but it's not trivial. Laptops are easier.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah that’s usually my problem lol. I make my phones last as long as I can and then when the battery starts to go, it’s pretty difficult to find a replacement that isn’t Chinese junk. Or it will be oem but discontinued for a couple years and costs more than the phone itself is worth lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah that’s usually my problem lol. I make my phones last as long as I can and then when the battery starts to go, it’s pretty difficult to find a replacement that isn’t Chinese junk. Or it will be oem but discontinued for a couple years and costs more than the phone itself is worth lol
I guess that's fair. Really depends if that model is still being produced.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
245 Posts
If you own an iPhone, Apple goes pretty far back and the replacement cost is reasonable - $49. If you have a newer model, it's $69. Those are out-of-warranty prices, by the way.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base Crystal White Pearl
9 Posts
My brother is an engineer for Nissan and he told me the warranty costs due to CVT failures pushed them to replace them with geared auto trannies for the heavier vehicle, at least. Nissan‘s CVT quality is less than perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 21 Sport in December and it's the first CVT I've ever owned. I've had a 71 Mustang with a 429CI and 4 speed, that was fun and till about 10 years ago I never had an automatic. My last car was a 2016 Ford Escape and I can't tell the difference in how it drove with it's automatic and the CVT in my Crosstrek. I was a little leary of a CVT till I test drove a Crosstrek and it seemed fine. It has plenty of power with the 2.5. Yesterday I put it into Sport mode and floored it and it wasn't bad. My Mustang was faster but I couldn't tell any difference then with my Escape. I can't speak to longevity as I have only 4500 miles but my friend has a 2016 with 140,000 miles and he hasn't had any problems. I just drive my Crosstrek fairly normally and I see absolutely no downside in that use.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts