Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never thought I would have to deal with this issue with a brand new car, but here goes:

So I got my brand new 2020 Subaru Crosstrek two weeks ago and everything's been awesome so far except one flaw that I hear with my front suspensions. I hear a loud 'clunk' sound from the front suspension area whenever the following specific scenario takes place:

• Driving at around 10-15 kph
  • Turning right into a hump or ramp with a slight elevated hump (sound does not happen when the steering wheel is straight or turned left)
The clunk does not happen at all when my steering wheel is straight or in the left position. It only happens when im turning right and go through bumps in the road (See video in link below) - Turn up the volume!

iCloud

I have since brought it twice to the dealership and they couldn't seem to find the issue. They tightenend the bolts and screws underneath, etc. without it resolving the issue.

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced this before? What could the problem be? I have another appointment with another dealership in two days who can hopefully diagnose the issue better.

PS. I hope I'm not alone in thinking this is an abnormal sound? The fact that it only happens when I turn right vs left means there's an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: did a little experiment and I can only replicate the sound when the steering wheel is off to the right and going over bumps on the road. It does not happen when the steering wheel is straight or to the left.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound is unclear but seems normal sound of tire thud
Suggest turning up the volume. The sound is not the typical more diffused faint thump sound of normal suspensions. This one feels and sounds like metal to metal contact (I can feel it in the steering wheel somewhat). It is also absent when i enter my garage turning left instead. It only happens when I come in and turn right.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
515 Posts
Sounds to me like either a bad strut mount or lose tie rod. Hard to believe on such a new vehicle, but rare defects do happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I did my own diagnosis the other night in my garage and it looks like its related to my steering. Perhaps a defective steering rack? Here's the video: Video Link

Loud clunks underneath my car when I turn my steering wheel left and right. It can be heard from inside the cabin.

It's unbelievable that this can happen to a brand new car lol

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
515 Posts
Since the Subaru dealer has dismissed this as nothing, I would take it to a reputable indy mechanic and have them check it out.

Unbelievable? Yes, but it's possible for you to be in that unfortunate 0.01% of defects.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
162 Posts
Please take it to the Subaru dealership, have the service manager sit in your car with you and demonstrate the clunking while turning right and left. He/She will have it fixed for you asap- because they don't want to be liable for a loss of steering accident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - spoke to another dealership and they have found the culprit! It seems that there is excessive play with my power steering rack and they are replacing the entire thing free of charge.

While it is concerning for this to happen to a brand new vehicle, I do understand that there could be manufacturing defects straight from the factory. I just don't understand how frequently this happens.

I am also concerned that the first dealership I went to gave me a difficult time and refused to repair anything.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Update - spoke to another dealership and they have found the culprit! It seems that there is excessive play with my power steering rack and they are replacing the entire thing free of charge.

While it is concerning for this to happen to a brand new vehicle, I do understand that there could be manufacturing defects straight from the factory. I just don't understand how frequently this happens.

I am also concerned that the first dealership I went to gave me a difficult time and refused to repair anything.
There seems a TSB on this for 2018 model before but seems odd that this also mpacts new nodel.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
515 Posts

Wow! My thinking is the first dealership was incompetent at diagnosing the problem rather than complicit in hiding a problem covered under warranty.

Reactions: Mr_Musubi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats on having hope in another dealership. They get the prize money now from Subaru unlike the first dealership.

Side note, I had to get the entire rack replaced when I curbed the crap out of my car. (impact traveled through the tie rods and messed up the box).
Since mine was an 18 and has a VIN before the new steering rack was introduced (according to the TSB) and curbed it after the bulletin, maybe I got the newer one too :) (34110FL071 not 070)

Anyways, just a heads up, you'll notice stiffer steering for a few days maybe a week while everything settles and gets back to normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a bit of an update.. the steering rack was replaced and the clunk sound is still there. The saga continues... I now suspect its one of the suspension components - strut mounts? tie rods? the list goes on. It's hard not to give up in this situation.

The sound still happens when I go over humps while turning right. Never happens when I turn left. Very very strange... The steering sounds are still there too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check out the plastic IN the springs… they are not fitting tight. its possible that it comes from there. i have a clunk sounding like loose plasticparts...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So a bit of an update - dealer replaced new steering rack with another steering rack from a new car on the lot and it worked. It seems like a lot of newer 2020 Crosstreks will have this issue as the loaner I had had the same issue. FYI for anyone buying Crosstreks in Canada west coast.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So a bit of an update - dealer replaced new steering rack with another steering rack from a new car on the lot and it worked. It seems like a lot of newer 2020 Crosstreks will have this issue as the loaner I had had the same issue. FYI for anyone buying Crosstreks in Canada west coast.
Good to know that the stwering rack solves the problem, actually i notice some noise sometimes on my crosstrek when turning on rough road but not bad enough to warrant recall

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good to know that the stwering rack solves the problem, actually i notice some noise sometimes on my crosstrek when turning on rough road but not bad enough to warrant recall
If you have a 2018 and get a rattling noise from the steering gear on rough roads there's a TSB to address it, as noted in post #13 above. It's not a recall as isn't a safety issue. Repairs are only covered under 3 year 36k mile new car warranty or extended warranty if you have one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts