Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Crosstrek Limited, White Pearl
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know. I was thinking just this morning during the commute. The last time this happened, I was 21 and stupid. Just happy to have my own wheels. That time it was not extras, just overpriced. this time around I was really not there mentally, working through sleep deprivation, on a very short time-clock. Just wanted to get out. Oh well, I will just live with my choices, my mistake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just ordered a Class II hitch from Etrailer. I wonder how long that will take to get here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hitch arrived within 4 days. Now just need the motivation to install. This will be the 3rd hitch from Etrailer I will have put on a Subaru. The first was my '05 forester. It was pretty easy. 2nd was the '09 Forester and it took forever. Think it was because I was doing it in December in northern NY, about mid 20's that day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
6th tank of gas today. logged at 33.4 mpg. overall since ownership is 33.8 mpg. Mileage dropped as my route to work has changed due to a need for a quicker drive.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
6th tank of gas today. logged at 33.4 mpg. overall since ownership is 33.8 mpg. Mileage dropped as my route to work has changed due to a need for a quicker drive.
Is that from the display? These cars are notorious for overreporting by up to 15%...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Funny, I never even thought to check that. I will look into it for the next fill up. Now I'm curious

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Some folks here use Fuelly to track it. I just kept a note of the miles and gallons pumped in Excel and it ranged from 11% to 15% higher, with the average around 12%

Remember to reset the trip after each fillup as that resets the car's "Exaggerometer"...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I recall when I was a kid, we bought a new station wagon in the late '80's. It had an analog "Fuel Economy Gauge" . It was quite comical to sit there in park and rev the engine and see the needle bury. It was a good laugh.

My '05 forester had no such technology so it was calculated with excel. the '09 had the gauge on the dash. I often wanted to cover it up because the results were so horrendous.

I will start monitoring this and see what it does.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The fist one I had was in a V12 Jag. We joked that it referred to gallons per mile...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Our was funny, similar to the Crosstrek. Going down a hill, "Look, I'm getting 100 mpg"
LOL, actually I've seen the Crosstrek's range go up to 900 miles, descending from the Sierras.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I recall how let down I was with the '09 after driving the '05 for years. It was a stick and I could get 30-33 mpg routinely. I recall filling up the '09 for the first time. It started at above 37, and 3 miles down the road was at 22. Little did I know then that that is what the average would be (using average driving methods). If I babied the gas peddle, I could squeak about 25 out of it. But that was tough.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Congrats on the new Subie XV...Enjoy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So, I took the advice of Astrokats and checked the tank mpg at the last fill up. The displayed total for the tank was 33.4 at 365.5 miles. It took over 12 gallons to fill up. The calculated mpg was 30.3 representing an over-report by the car of over 9%. Now I intend to keep my eyes on it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Javen, that's about the same results our Crosstrek gets. The real gas mileage is always about 3 mpg less than the car's computer mpg.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts