Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Crosstrek Limited, White Pearl
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to start, just recently bought a '19 White Pearl Limited with about 11700 miles on it. Prior to this I had driven Foresters ('05 5spd, '09 4EAT). Prior to the Foresters, it was a bunch of different vehicles (in order of ownership)
-'70 Chrysler 300 convertible (daily driver from '88 to '90)
-'88 Dodge D150 Shortbox pickup, 3spd (daily driver from '90 - '93)
-'89 Dodge W150 full size pickup, 4WD (daily driver from '93 to '99), then only for weekend work
-'79 Subaru Wagon (snow driver from '91 to '94)
-'89 Jeep CJ7 (daily driver from '99 to '02)
-'90 Geo Metro (commuter from '01 to '03)
-'72 Jeep J4000 (Plow Truck from '00 to '04)
-'05 Subaru Forester, 2.5X, 5spd (daily from '05 to '17)
-'09 Subaru Forester, 2.5 Premium, 4EAT (daily from '09 to '20)

In '17 I bought the wife a new CRV, after test driving 17 different models. The Forester did not make the cut as we wanted something different. The '09 Forester was hers, but I traded my '05 in for the CRV and then took over the daily use of the '09 Forester. To be honest, I was hoping the Forester would have lasted another year, but although the repair costs were still less than car payments, I could no longer justify the down time due to the constant repairs (brakes, wheel bearings, etc.). To say that the '09 Forester went through brakes was an understatement.

When I decided to get something new, I was thinking used. I initially started looking at the Hyundai Kona, but that had a few things I just did not like. I then tried the Santa Fe and Tuscon, and could not justify the cost. Same with the Forester. I liked it, but the value was not there. So, I decided to subaru another shot before trying some other manufacturers. I went to the Subaru dealer looking to drive both the Crosstrek and the Forester. I drove a '20 Forester Limited and loved it. Sadly, I did not like the price. For the Crosstrek, I drove a '19 Premium, and was greatly impressed. Then I found on the lot a '19 Crosstrek limited, CPO, for about $3K less than others in the area. I jumped on it. Sadly, I was blind when doing the paperwork (long work hours, tight timeline, spastic finance guy), and I ended up buying additional services that I did not want, and sadly they were lumped into the loan. In the past I would just show up with money in hand for a purchase, however, the Subaru dealership had a much better rate than my own bank. Now I have to look through what I bought and what I want to cancel. I am not opposed to the extras necessarily, but hate financing things like extended warranties, ets.
All this being said, I have now put about 1100 miles on it and like it quite a bit. There are some things I have to get used to regarding the info center and all that, but in general I am enjoying it. I was quite pleased recently to hear that they will be putting the 2.5L in it in the future. That might be the next purchase.....

No mods yet other than adding a windshield phone mount. Yes android auto is nice, but I hate not having my phone up where I can see it in case the wife messages me (in the CRV, messages are displayed on the info screen, I have not not yet figured out how to make that happen on the crosstrek).

Also looking to find a hard sided collapsable cargo box for the cargo area.

I do intend to install a class 1 hitch, once I can find one that is decent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just made some purchases for the car, should be arrive in a couple days. I bought a collapseable cargo organizer as well as two seat back protectors, organizers. fingers crossed they all work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also programmed the controls on the rear-view mirror to operate the garage door opener. I like that feature.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I am trying to find the solution to the reason why I am always parked crooked when I back into a spot, using the camera only. This is not the case with the wifes CRV, nor the case when using mirrors, but when using the camera only, I am always crooked. the rear end is always about 2-3" out of skew from the front.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
87 Posts
Now I am trying to find the solution to the reason why I am always parked crooked when I back into a spot, using the camera only. This is not the case with the wifes CRV, nor the case when using mirrors, but when using the camera only, I am always crooked. the rear end is always about 2-3" out of skew from the front.
I have noticed that too, but I don't have a solution yet. I honestly figured that since I was adjusting to the change from a larger, lower, manual sedan with no camera, maybe I'm just rusty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I back up, I see the camera lines are skewed and just assume its due to the size of the car since both lines are skewed equally (like an isosceles triangle). next time I am going to try and make the line on the driver side parallel with the actual parking line...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still have not found the solution to the backup camera and crooked parking. Today I parked using mirrors and it was perfect.

Last night I tried to pair the second garage door opener to the rear view mirror and it did not work. After reading the manual a bit, I believe that the button I was trying to program was already programmed by the previous owner, so the solution is the erase it. Sadly, you have to erase the programming on all three buttons, so tonight I will try again.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
Still have not found the solution to the backup camera and crooked parking. Today I parked using mirrors and it was perfect.

Last night I tried to pair the second garage door opener to the rear view mirror and it did not work. After reading the manual a bit, I believe that the button I was trying to program was already programmed by the previous owner, so the solution is the erase it. Sadly, you have to erase the programming on all three buttons, so tonight I will try again.
I don't think the previous programming is the problem. We have two current gen Crosstreks in the family and when one of our garage gates' code was changed I had to reprogram both cars. It was very simple and didn't affect the other settings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to the manual, when you press and hold the button to program, it should blink orange. I did the middle button the other night, it blinked orange it was successful. last night I tried the left button, but it blinked a rapid green, then stopped. Since it did not blink orange, I feel I either have to program using the learn button on the actual garage door opener, or try and erase the programming of the buttons. I will try to erase and reprogram before I go to the actual opener.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
According to the manual, when you press and hold the button to program, it should blink orange. I did the middle button the other night, it blinked orange it was successful. last night I tried the left button, but it blinked a rapid green, then stopped. Since it did not blink orange, I feel I either have to program using the learn button on the actual garage door opener, or try and erase the programming of the buttons. I will try to erase and reprogram before I go to the actual opener.
It may depend on the system (e.g. rolling code or whatever). For me, it worked with both cars ('18 and '19 Limiteds) with the clicker that I had set to the new code via the dip switches. Why I was tasked to do this even though neither car is my daily driver, LOL...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cleared the programming then successfully programmed the left and middle buttons to operate the left and right garage doors. I love tech when it works!

Now wondering if an ECU reset will improve driving. I know on the '09 forester, the wife drove it for 177000 miles before I took over. I reset the ECU, changed the plugs/wires, cleaned the intake. It was truly like a new car from an engine / performance perspective. Much of what I have read about the cvt and the crosstrek tells me that what I experience when driving is normal. Specifically, when starting out after a stop, the acceleration is acceptable for about 2-3 seconds, then it bogs down. I've learned to just ease up on the peddle, but still it makes me wonder if something can be done. The car has about 13300 miles on it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I cleared the programming then successfully programmed the left and middle buttons to operate the left and right garage doors. I love tech when it works!

Now wondering if an ECU reset will improve driving. I know on the '09 forester, the wife drove it for 177000 miles before I took over. I reset the ECU, changed the plugs/wires, cleaned the intake. It was truly like a new car from an engine / performance perspective. Much of what I have read about the cvt and the crosstrek tells me that what I experience when driving is normal. Specifically, when starting out after a stop, the acceleration is acceptable for about 2-3 seconds, then it bogs down. I've learned to just ease up on the peddle, but still it makes me wonder if something can be done. The car has about 13300 miles on it.
You may want to post this in a different thread, so as not to hijack this one. My fault for replying...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may want to post this in a different thread, so as not to hijack this one. My fault for replying...

Actually, this is my thread, lol. I am just posting things that pop-into my mind about this car. If more feedback is needed, I will certainly go outside of here to find it. That being said, yours and comments are always appreciated.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Actually, this is my thread, lol. I am just posting things that pop-into my mind about this car. If more feedback is needed, I will certainly go outside of here to find it. That being said, yours and comments are always appreciated.
Oops, you're right, sorry...

Not sure the ECU reset will help but you have some experience with that so let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries.

My experience was easy on a "Dumb" '09 model. Not sure I want to do it on something with a much more sophisticated system. But I will research more let you know what the plan is.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
190 Posts
No mods yet other than adding a windshield phone mount. Yes android auto is nice, but I hate not having my phone up where I can see it in case the wife messages me (in the CRV, messages are displayed on the info screen, I have not not yet figured out how to make that happen on the crosstrek).
Interesting. I prefer listening to messages rather than reading the screen while driving.
I've the S (Limited) in Australia. After pairing my Android Auto phone app with the Head Unit and as long as I tether my phone via the HU USB port, I'll receive both an audible and a pop up msg via the HU screen. Using the 'Talk' button on the steering wheel, I can simply ask Google to "Play message". 'She' then reads it out loud. Have you checked through your phone settings? I seem to recall I had to ALLOW pretty much everything in my phone settings to make it work. 🐨

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,132 Posts
My '17 does the same with Siri Eyes Free via BlueTooth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4th tank today. End of 3rd tank and got about 33.2. It started bad (mid 20's), then did some hypermiling and neared 40mpg, ending as noted due to traffic.
Overall so far is 33.4 at with 1300 miles logged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
and I ended up buying additional services that I did not want, and sadly they were lumped into the loan. In the past I would just show up with money in hand for a purchase, however, the Subaru dealership had a much better rate than my own bank. Now I have to look through what I bought and what I want to cancel. I am not opposed to the extras necessarily, but hate financing things like extended warranties, ets.
You and me both, but one thing everyone can cound on is that a main dealer will try and sell you a warranty on everything that you don't need.

Tyres. Engine repairs. paintwork. GAP. Windscreen. Ongoing warranty. Amusingly whilst waiting between ordering and the delivery of my last car I received 5 phone calls (each from a different salesman) trying to sell me all of these and more warrantes/insurance. They were out of luck.

I suggest that, in future, you have to engage with the car salesman more closely and not only decline anything he tries to sell you but ask him to throw in (for free) discounts, metallic paint and towbars. It's a shame not to try :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts