Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just in Vernon, BC due to the recent mass evacuation and state of emergency order, amazing what 240mm of rain in 24hrs can do to a provincial highways system, and went past the dealer where I purchased my Xtrek. There were no new cars on the lot. None in the showroom. A couple of used parked in back. Looked like the service dept was functioning but no one in sales offices. I looked online finding 4 new cars were listed but not that I could see on the lot. Driving back home yesterday, our house was in area allowing returning residents, I saw an auto carrier with a load of Subarus going somewhere. I immediately thought two things: where was the load headed...perhaps Vernon; and how did the truck driver get here when all the major roads were broken. Life hey...funny.

If you're interested there are amazing images of the damage here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/albums/72157720143417483

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,033 Posts
Yes, incredible rain (called an atmospheric river) and damage. I heard Merritt was flooded. Was your home affected?

Roads to our cabin at Harrison are cut off right now due to wash-outs. But I flew up 2 days after, and checked things out there. No damage from flooding or winds. But talking to people living there, they said the lake rose 5' in 48 hours, which is incredible. It is a large lake, 45 miles long, so takes a lot of water running in to raise it that much. It was still well below the normal June high water mark, so nothing to be concerned about. And our cabin could never get flooded anyway as it is up about 50' up from the lake water level.

What did us in here was not just the heavy rain, but the high freezing levels which at the same time melted a lot of the early mountain snow from the last couple weeks. That brought a lot of water down from the mountains all at once.

In past years they used to call this weather system the pineapple express, because the storm paths originate from Hawaii. Now the new term is atmospheric river.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, incredible rain (called an atmospheric river) and damage. I heard Merritt was flooded. Was your home affected?
We're located in the "bench" area so well above the flood plain - the nice flat land down by the river perfect for building on - so no damage but we all had to leave once the drinking water system and sewage treatment plants were compromised.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
128 Posts
Had my 21 Ltd into the dealers for a one year 6000 mile service and its second oil and filter change on Wednesday. The dealers lot there was also empty except one new Impreza and an Outback [a few used cars or various makes]. The salesman I had worked with said that all they are selling now are "orders" with deliveries " 3 to 4 months out". At check out, the young and new Service Rep told me the service was free "because it was my first", an aberrant honesty gene kicked in and I had to tell her that I had already had a free service at 3000 miles.
Noticed on my receipt that they put in 5 quarts of oil, Manual says 4.4 quarts. Suspect their bulk oil dispenser only measures full quarts. Any real issue for excess pressure or foaming with an extra .6 quart? Seems they come from the factory slightly over filled and the same with my first service. Always been above the "full mark on the dipstick when I check the oil.
I'm just south of you in Washington State but fortunately, for me, I live in a county of islands with no rivers. Our ponds and wetlands are full [hopefully our wells as well] but we escaped the extreme flooding and damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts