Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the sharpest spoons in the drawer but they attempt to be honest at least. This is from last January, and while they need to learn what the "I" and "S" settings are, I am really very surprised at the way the AWD didn't handle the rollwr tests. I had thought this was an area Subaru had fully sorted and am disappointed in it's performance.
Still love the car, just learned something new and surprising.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
314 Posts
Their opinion is valid for a soccer mom needing a basic review…

thier off-road knowledge and skill is seriously a joke, and their understanding of a lot of car tech is pretty funny at times too as you noted!
My dad loves watching them, just for kicks. Good thing we don’t like our spoons sharp anyway 😏

·
Registered
314 Posts
PS i do understand what you said about it being disappointing…, but realistically, unless you do outrageous off-roading (like me) you will most likely never or at least extremely rarely be in a situation where you have three tires with no traction and are trying to start from a standstill…. And let’s be real, I don’t care what vehicle it is, I don’t expect any car to be able to use one front wheel to pull the rest of the vehicle out of three rolling bar pits it’s parked in!

even in extreme ice and med, more than one wheel will have traction the far majority of the time, and for the love of mike I hope there’s no one out in the world dumb enough to stop dead in such a situation, you would most likely be trying to drive through it, not park in it and try to go again…

TFL guys are funny and easy to watch, and I mean no disrespect, but they are definitely novice off-roaders and I’m fairly certain thier understanding of car components and thier inner workings is very limited… I’ve heard the older guy talking about a Jeep with a Dana 44 rear axle and then immediately say something like “and of course Dana 44 means Differential Active Nonslip Axle with a 44 ratio gear.” I just about pissed myself laughing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issue is symmetrical AWD sends power to all 4 wheels, Subaru's bread and butter. As such, IMO, three wheels spinning means one still driving. They have touted this system as such and seeing it not work that way is disappointing. Now if it was trying to do it on a steep hill, I would understand it, but a flat surface is no real challenge, it should have had enough grip to move it.
They are entertaining at times, but cringy many more. They at least are consistent, even once giving a decent reason (for them) as to why 26psi is "airing down".
Now when Tommy called his Jeep a car, that was just s step too far. He still hasn"t responded to me though lmao.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
Yeah, I have absolutely zero respect for TFL anymore, and though I'm not advocating censorship my personal feeling is that their links don't deserve to be clicked or promoted.

And their so-called roller test is an easy video to make, but it's a lousy representation of real-world conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bob,

I would focus on how the car does for YOU and not what tests are run to make it fail. Personally, I feel safer driving our Crosstrek limited (21) than I do driving our 19 ram 1500 off road edition in the snow. In California, we recently had some killer snow, and my driveway is quite steep. The first day in about 10 inches foot of snow, I drove out of the driveway which is steep and turns to the right as it rounds the side of the house. It also slopes gently towards the house, instead of away during that turn. The first day in my truck with it in 4H, it started to spin as I was trying to make that turn AND it started to slide towards the house. I engaged the rear LOCKER and it still kept sliding towards the house. It was rather a challenge and I'm good in the snow having lived in Idaho Springs CO, and spending 12 years working ambulance in Bear Valley CA. The next day, l opted for the Crosstrek with about 8 inches on packed powder that was shoveled. It went up with no slipping, no sliding, and no white knuckles. Now there are obviously mass, tire, and 4WD variables at play here, but what it did for me was go, where the truck due to the incline and mass struggled. The tire difference is also at play as the Crosstrek has the stock geolanders, and my truck has new (5K miles) AT3 tires. So, like I said, I wouldn't worry about it and I trust the Subaru far more than I trust my dedicated 4WD for normal driving. Now, if I have to climb a giant hill with rocks and ruts and such with snow/mud, etc. I'll probably reevaluate that statement! :)

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,214 Posts
Yeah, I have absolutely zero respect for TFL anymore, and though I'm not advocating censorship my personal feeling is that their links don't deserve to be clicked or promoted.

And their so-called roller test is an easy video to make, but it's a lousy representation of real-world conditions.
I found it interesting, especially as they were using the tires I had put on yesterday, LOL!

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,214 Posts
those guys are biased dorks. check out the link zap posted. driving sports does the best reviews and the guy actually bought a sport
I think that's the first time I've watched them. Biassed for or against what? The Crosstrek was his own car and he seems to think it did OK.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,164 Posts
PS i do understand what you said about it being disappointing…, but realistically, unless you do outrageous off-roading (like me) you will most likely never or at least extremely rarely be in a situation where you have three tires with no traction and are trying to start from a standstill…. And let’s be real, I don’t care what vehicle it is, I don’t expect any car to be able to use one front wheel to pull the rest of the vehicle out of three rolling bar pits it’s parked in!

even in extreme ice and med, more than one wheel will have traction the far majority of the time, and for the love of mike I hope there’s no one out in the world dumb enough to stop dead in such a situation, you would most likely be trying to drive through it, not park in it and try to go again…

TFL guys are funny and easy to watch, and I mean no disrespect, but they are definitely novice off-roaders and I’m fairly certain thier understanding of car components and thier inner workings is very limited… I’ve heard the older guy talking about a Jeep with a Dana 44 rear axle and then immediately say something like “and of course Dana 44 means Differential Active Nonslip Axle with a 44 ratio gear.” I just about pissed myself laughing.
this is my go-to guy for automotive entertainment.....

Avoid These 5 VERY Popular Cars (With Terrible Transmissions) - YouTube

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
I think that's the first time I've watched them. Biassed for or against what?
TFL appreciated Subarus until a few years ago, when they had a Subaru Outback press car and they beat the crap out of it doing things that were against the loan agreement. Subaru took the car back, and they don't lend TFL press cars anymore. TFL has been acting and commenting like butthurt adolescents about Subaru ever since.

·
Registered
314 Posts
honestly I put driving sports and TFL in a similarly lame group….

I’m yet to find an actual capable off road driver who knows real world scenarios and what is fair to expect from a vehicle, on a real trail. They’re always these staged courses and sponsored channels which I’m not a fan of. I’ve driven trails already in my Crosstrek that out the courses in both videos to shame, with no excessive wheel spin or struggling, and definitely no reversing to get momentum again. Just watching how these folks brake and accelerate shows me they aren’t experienced in off-road driving mechanics.

like I said, for the pressed shirt office guy wondering if a Crosstrek can get him to a campground to set up his 12 person tent and haul his kayak for his annual “I’m a outdoorsman” wannabe trip, those videos are great. For the rest of us in the real world, they’re laughable 🤪

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
93 Posts
FWIW here’s a YouTube find that shows people with at least elementary knowledge of how to drive - and shows how capable the Crosstrek is.

Haven't seen that one before. Great video. Thank you for posting it.

TFL was great years ago before Nathan dropped off the radar and Tommy showed up... I don't watch them at all anymore. Unsubscribed. Not the channel it once was.

Driving Sports is... Watchable... But I cringe when he goes "off-road".

Both channels own Crosstreks. Tommy owns one with a manual, and the guy from Driving Sports bought one for his wife.

In my opinion neither channel makes great Crosstrek videos. Heck, Savage Geese did a better Crosstrek video and he didn't even go off road.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
This. [The dummass has NO idea how to spot and f's up Ryan's 4Runner. I talked with Ryan about it later, yeah . . . He already traded in his beloved (dented+driver's side) 4Runner.] See my comment on the vid.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bob,

I would focus on how the car does for YOU and not what tests are run to make it fail. Personally, I feel safer driving our Crosstrek limited (21) than I do driving our 19 ram 1500 off road edition in the snow. In California, we recently had some killer snow, and my driveway is quite steep. The first day in about 10 inches foot of snow, I drove out of the driveway which is steep and turns to the right as it rounds the side of the house. It also slopes gently towards the house, instead of away during that turn. The first day in my truck with it in 4H, it started to spin as I was trying to make that turn AND it started to slide towards the house. I engaged the rear LOCKER and it still kept sliding towards the house. It was rather a challenge and I'm good in the snow having lived in Idaho Springs CO, and spending 12 years working ambulance in Bear Valley CA. The next day, l opted for the Crosstrek with about 8 inches on packed powder that was shoveled. It went up with no slipping, no sliding, and no white knuckles. Now there are obviously mass, tire, and 4WD variables at play here, but what it did for me was go, where the truck due to the incline and mass struggled. The tire difference is also at play as the Crosstrek has the stock geolanders, and my truck has new (5K miles) AT3 tires. So, like I said, I wouldn't worry about it and I trust the Subaru far more than I trust my dedicated 4WD for normal driving. Now, if I have to climb a giant hill with rocks and ruts and such with snow/mud, etc. I'll probably reevaluate that statement! :)
All set, but thank you
My post was only to point out my singular issue with the symmetrical AWD not being able to pull with one tire. The rest of how to operate AWD vs 4WD, more than my share of experi2nce with both, and on road in all conditions Subaru is hard to beat, never driven better yet.
Got my off road capabilities sussed. And they aren't Crosstrek. That belongs to my wife. I drive it when it needs gas, or for state inspection.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to post such a controversial vid lol.
I find every single thing I watch or read biased in some way, I make no assessments outside of these beyond entertainment except tangible evidence, in this case a very obvious test that can't be faked. Yes, there were ways to make that lone wheel spin, but most people aren't aware of dragging a brake ro increase traction, so this was a more real world example of how most people are going to approach it. Pretty unlikely to get in that exact situation for sure. My issue was/is only my surprise that it did not pull enough on a flat surface to get out given all four (4) are supposed to be driven.
Haven't seen those from the other group but I haven't found TSL to be biased, just incapable off road. They bias themselves to what they feel they need. As do all vids. I know it going in, everyone should with everyrhing they watch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.