Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not bad. Would love to buy a sport model and put a 1.5" lift on it with Method wheels.

Here is my dilemma: Should I wait until 2023? I hear they are bringing a 1.5L turbo base engine, but will they offer a high power engine as well like in 2021? I would be really bummed out if they brought the 2.4L turbo with 200+ hp for the 2023 sport & limited.

What do you think the odds are of a 200hp+ engine options for Crosstrek in 2023?

Also really bummed that sport doesn't come with LED lights, real let down at the price.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,697 Posts
Welcome!

As for the engine in the 2023 updates, it's anybody's guess at this point. I think something like a 1.5 turbo is a near certainty, but I'd personally be pretty surprised if they gave the Crosstrek an engine option in the 200+ HP range. Giving the least-expensive model a high-horsepower engine would be a conflict in the brand's overall product differentiation strategy.

And a turbo might be a little bit of a mixed bag, with the possibility of a slower throttle response along with the added mechanical complexity. Overall, I'd say the 2.5 engine in the 2021 looks pretty good in comparison to a small turbo.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Not bad. Would love to buy a sport model and put a 1.5" lift on it with Method wheels.

Here is my dilemma: Should I wait until 2023? I hear they are bringing a 1.5L turbo base engine, but will they offer a high power engine as well like in 2021? I would be really bummed out if they brought the 2.4L turbo with 200+ hp for the 2023 sport & limited.

What do you think the odds are of a 200hp+ engine options for Crosstrek in 2023?

Also really bummed that sport doesn't come with LED lights, real let down at the price.
I would never buy a car that might never be made

·
Registered
19MY XV 2.0i-S CVT Dark Grey
69 Posts
The idea of a turbo XV sounds great, however having messed around with a heap of turbos over the years, I really appreciate the simplicity of a quality N/A engine. We don’t have the 2.5 here yet, but to me that’s the ideal solution, especially given what I’d be using it for (daily driving and weekend adventures)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Welcome!

As for the engine in the 2023 updates, it's anybody's guess at this point. I think something like a 1.5 turbo is a near certainty, but I'd personally be pretty surprised if they gave the Crosstrek an engine option in the 200+ HP range. Giving the least-expensive model a high-horsepower engine would be a conflict in the brand's overall product differentiation strategy.

And a turbo might be a little bit of a mixed bag, with the possibility of a slower throttle response along with the added mechanical complexity. Overall, I'd say the 2.5 engine in the 2021 looks pretty good in comparison to a small turbo.
I recently spent a week driving a ford eco-sport titanium. it had a 2.0L turbo with great power but very whiny. i actually thought it was a smaller engine until I looked under the hood.

i'd much rather have a larger non-turbo engine like the 2.5L even if it is a bit slower

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited Plasma Yellow Pearl
28 Posts
We test drove our new 2021 Limited last Saturday...went and drove a few others. Noting compared for the price, style and quality and value! AWD was must! On Tuesday night pickle was in the garage! This really is a GREAT car for an all around fun and capable vehicle!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Always going to be bigger better faster. You will miss a lot of great things in life waiting for what could come. Enjoy now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We test drove our new 2021 Limited last Saturday...went and drove a few others. Noting compared for the price, style and quality and value! AWD was must! On Tuesday night pickle was in the garage! This really is a GREAT car for an all around fun and capable vehicle!
Agree, I picked up my 2021 Limited about a month ago. Plenty of power and very nice. Love it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Toyota c-hr & Corolla wagon
Mazda Cx-3 AWD
Honda H-RV AWD
MINI Countrymen AWD

We have bounced between Toyota and Subaru since 1994 with a few classics here and there. Both were nice and I like the body styles, no AWD stopped us or at least made the choice easier.

Mazda was so, so. Just did not excite us.

Honda was nice, lacked power body style and interior were ok. Did not feel as solid of a car compared to the Crosstrek.

MINI handled well, had to much cabin noise, did not offfer or have features we wanted for $10k more. Interior was styled well.

oh we checked out a Hyundai Kona AWD, mostly to show my daughter the difference in interior quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Everything I have read says the turbo will never come to this car. I also got the Limited solely because of the LED lights. I'm near 50 and my night vision isn't the best so this was a key safety feature for me. The safety rating on the halogens is "poor" whereas the limited LEDs get the highest safety rating. Otherwise I would have preferred the 17" rims and durable cloth interior of the Sport. But being able to see is more important.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I also got the Limited solely because of the LED lights.
Same here. I would prefer the thicker sidewall with the smaller wheel, but I need the better lighting. That's why I opted to get the Limited and change over to 215/75R15 tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would love to have my WRX engine, in my Crosstrek. However, I think like all the manufacturers, it is more likely to be all electric than, 2.5 Turbocharged in the next few years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great insights thank you. Ultimately I decided to pass and wait for something that gives me a little bit more passion about buying a new car, some thing I only do every 10 years so I wanted to feel right

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Magnetite Grey
17 Posts
Welcome!

Small Turbo's are the future for all manufactures 1/2 ton pick-ups included GM and Ford both have 2.7L turbo options in a full size crew cab pickup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 200 hp+ option appear in the Crosstrek. At the end of 2020 Mazda is releasing the CX30 a direct competitor to the Crosstrek with an option to get the same 2.5L turbo in the CX9. 250 hp and 320 ft-lb torque @ 2500 rpm on 91 octane derated to 227 hp / 310 ft-lb @ 2000 rpm on 87 octane. Power numbers you would typically only see in the luxury marque sub compact like a Q3/NX300/XC40 etc. Granted the luxury models need the extra power since they usually weigh in at 750lbs or more than a Crosstrek or CX30. I'm curious to see the MPG numbers on turbo CX30. I'm averaging 33 MPG on my 2021 limited occasionally more power would be nice but not at a 5 or 6 MPG hit along with an undoubtedly higher price tag for the higher horse option. I'm guessing the CX30 turbo is going to be 35 grand plus and only available in a new signature trim option with AWD standard. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We had a tough choice when we bought our Ascent and the small 2.4L turbo was a hard pill to swallow to be honest.
The Ascent replaced my Wife's 05 highlander with the V6 (gave this to my mother in-law). Ultimately how much we loved our WRX and the interior of the Ascent won!

There is a part of me that worries later on how that heavy of a car is going to diminish the life of the small motor. We usually buy new and keep our cars for 10-15 years. When I feel like I'm reaching the point where the car will start to cost me more to keep up vs. worth, then we move on or when others decided to be slam into our cars.

Although….her motor might fit in the Crosstrek….. :devilish: (she would kill me) mmmmm Crosstrek 260hp...mmmmm Crosstrek 277 Torque.
I know I could modify however, I did that to the Spyder and WRX. They were VERY fun, when they both got totaled I lost all I put into them other than the memories.
I'm done with that level of modifications now days.

There is a BIG part of me that wants to start modifying the Crosstrek, I love the look of the lifts, BIG bumper guards w/lights, skid plates....We live against BLM land with TONS of dirt roads and trails on the other side of our fence gate. This could be handy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Smaller highly stressed turbo motors are a concern for me. I have an F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost with a 10-speed AT. Ford says they designed the 2.7L from the ground up to be a high-torque dual-turbo motor. But there are a lot of people having issues with them. In my case, it's the 10R80 10-speed transmission that has become the bane of my existence. I'm looking at going back to Subaru or possibly try a Toyota because I can get a NA motor.

The dealer let me drive a 2020 OB Limited 2.5NA today. I used to have a 2016 OB base before the F150. Driving over the steep hills to work, I was surprised at how hard I had to push it to maintain 70mph. I don't recall my 2016 being that bad. I guess that's the nice thing about the F150 and 2.7L TT. Almost 400#/ft torque at low RPM is nice to have. It's the maintenance issues after 60K that worry me. And my transmission started having issues at 5k miles.

When I drive the 2021 Crosstrek Limited, it seemed to pull the hills with less effort. Maybe because it's a lighter car?

Still, I don't like the idea of small turbo motors - ahem... oil dilution in the new CRVs anyone?

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts