Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike neighbors' Subarus, even much older ones, the underside of our 2016 Crosstrek Hybrid is severely rusted. The dealer said it was no big deal and very common, but checking with multiple friends, it isn't. They also said we would soon need the exhaust system replaced due to its condition Two independent mechanics said it was shockingly bad. One said possibly dangerous. e wrote emails and then sent a registered letter to Subaru headquarters customer service and never got a reply. Our Crosstrek only has about 17,000 miles on it, and the body is otherwise clean and not rusted. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any luck on anything with Subaru? We enjoy the car but are very disappointed.
IMG-0093.jpg IMG-0090.jpg IMG-0089.jpg IMG-0085.jpg

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,161 Posts
17K miles for a '16 is not much. Lots of short trips? That may explain it if the exhaust system doesn't have a chance to warm up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where do you live?
Are your roads heavily salted?
Have most of your 17,000 mi been winter/snow driving?
Or do you live on the coast somewhere?
Is the car garaged or left out in the weather?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in Ohio where we get more than our fair share of sodium intake during the winter months. I always try to find a car wash that has a good under carriage spray. I tend to use the automatic, touchless washes.
Do you keep the car in a heated garage? A salty car in a warm garage is a recipe for rust.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lets not forget the new and improved pre-treat salt solutions in use across the country. On my Honda the normal age rust turned bright orange. Hosed everything twice, let it dry then hit it with a wax undercoat. The new salt blends will eat a car in a matter of months. With my Crosstrek On heavy salt days and it was warm enough, I'd hose the underside and wells just to get that crap off. It's pure cancer man !

·
Registered
197 Posts
My wife's 2018 with 37,000 Indiana miles on it is so clean that you can eat off of it (a little exaggeration, but it's really clean!). She washes it at least once a week during the winter.

I'd love to know where you live to get that kind of rust! My guess is Michigan, New York, or Pennsylvania.

The picture that you provided of the exhaust coupling is the one just before the muffler and the ones that I've seen get nasty fast. But yours is the worst so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
17K miles for a '16 is not much. Lots of short trips? That may explain it if the exhaust system doesn't have a chance to warm up.
Actually, it's more the opposite. We have a 2008 Prius that we use for most driving, including short trips, unless the roads are bad. We use the Crosstrek for longer trips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you live?
Are your roads heavily salted?
Have most of your 17,000 mi been winter/snow driving?
Or do you live on the coast somewhere?
Is the car garaged or left out in the weather?
We live outside New York City with almost no snow, but we take the car to Canada over Christmas. Lots of snow. Car is garaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Ohio where we get more than our fair share of sodium intake during the winter months. I always try to find a car wash that has a good under carriage spray. I tend to use the automatic, touchless washes.
Do you keep the car in a heated garage? A salty car in a warm garage is a recipe for rust.
Thanks for the reply. The car is in a garage most of the time. When we go to Canada for Christmas, it stays outside. Needless to say, not where it is warm.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
372 Posts
My wife's early Chevy Vega was the worst I ever heard, didn't know her then, but she seems to remember it well. She claims her Vega front fenders rusted into holes (this in Northern Ohio) in a little over one year after purchase! The rest of the car was junk anyway so the holes simply gave the car personality. I used to work in Pittsburgh at the Edgar Thomson Works US Steel Plant. The Fisher Body sheet metal rolls came from the US Steel at the Duquesne Works cross the river and I think rustproofing sheet steel was something not taken seriously at the time (taken with a "grain of salt?" or is that too much pun).

·
Registered
197 Posts
(taken with a "grain of salt?" or is that too much pun).
Groan 😒

Just for the record, I guessed 3 states and one of them was correct! 😆

When I lived in New York, (I was raised there) I figured out the perfect way to prevent rust on my vehicles. I moved to Indiana! It also had the side effect of more money in my wallet and a happier life.

·
Registered
834 Posts
We get our fair share of road salt along with that terrible car eating brine they spray on the roads here in Mass. I try to wash my cars often in the winter at a local touchless car wash with an undercarriage spray, but I still end up a good deal of undercarriage rust after a couple years. I once had a gas tank fall almost completely off a new-ish car while I was driving because the metal straps holding the tank to the car had disintegrated due to rust. I hate it, but it comes with living in this part of the country. All we can do is try to drive less during road salt months and hose the car down as often as possible.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
372 Posts
We get our fair share of road salt along with that terrible car eating brine they spray on the roads here in Mass. I try to wash my cars often in the winter at a local touchless car wash with an undercarriage spray, but I still end up a good deal of undercarriage rust after a couple years. I once had a gas tank fall almost completely off a new-ish car while I was driving because the metal straps holding the tank to the car had disintegrated due to rust. I hate it, but it comes with living in this part of the country. All we can do is try to drive less during road salt months and hose the car down as often as possible.
So True! Ah the good old days of driving down the freeway and near all the pot holes you would have to dodge someone's muffler/pipe that had salt rusted into discombobulation and fallen off. Young people may not know how much they should be thankful for present day stainless steel mufflers/pipes. Did you know you can epoxy a flattened Coke can over a salt hole in a gas tank after the freezes are over and it can hold up pretty well through the summer (my 69' Nova)! Occasional drip I guess, probably shouldn't smoke near the trunk though. They had tons of "fixit" stuff for rust holes in tubes and sprays at the car parts stores. Nothing worked better than moving to Phoenix though.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,161 Posts
Did you know you can epoxy a flattened Coke can over a salt hole in a gas tank after the freezes are over and it can hold up pretty well through the summer (my 69' Nova)!
Ha, ha! I did something similar with my '74 Spitfire when I lived in the UK. Not sure of the brand - it may have been a beer can. Moving to Southern California sure fixed that problem, LOL.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts