Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a flood car rebuild project going on here, where I've come to the conclusion that swapping in Impreza modules, including ECU, into my Crosstrek may be causing a cylinder 3 misfire. I know, it doesn't look like the first place that you'd go, but if you read the whole thread and have a better idea, I'm all ears.

So, I'm wanting to know from someone that has used the Tactrix Openport 2.0 interface if it will allow me to transfer the ECU software from my other, identical, car to my drowning victim.

Also, I'm wanting to buy a used Tactrix module from someone.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi, the Tactrix Openport 2.0 is just the hardware and only half of the equation. In order to do logging and ecu ROM map editing, you will need to purchase the necessary software: epifanSoftware | subaruEdit | Versions & prices

You can find plenty of good used Tactrix Openport 2.0's on ebay. Don't expect any huge discounts though, as they hold their value quite well.

BUT PLEASE NOTE: the ROM maps of the two vehicles are most likely already identical. I unfortunately don't have time to read through all 24 pages but I feel this avenue is probably an expensive dead end. I'm willing to bet your problem lies elsewhere. I will say that utilizing the tactrix cable and some logging software may be extremely helpful in diagnosing your issue though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

If you did read through all 24 pages of the thread, you would see a very lengthy and redundant troubleshooting and no solution yet for my cylinder 3 misfire.

The one thing that you may not have noticed was that the ECU in my Crosstrek is from an Impreza, not another Crosstrek. I believe that that is where my problem may be, and it's the one thing that I can't eliminate without spending some money.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the response.

If you did read through all 24 pages of the thread, you would see a very lengthy and redundant troubleshooting and no solution yet for my cylinder 3 misfire.

The one thing that you may not have noticed was that the ECU in my Crosstrek is from an Impreza, not another Crosstrek. I believe that that is where my problem may be, and it's the one thing that I can't eliminate without spending some money.
If it helps, when I pulled the image from my car using Subaru’s SSM3/4, it came up as in Impreza, not a Crosstrek. I believe the ECU and programming is identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
992 Posts
If it helps, when I pulled the image from my car using Subaru’s SSM3/4, it came up as in Impreza, not a Crosstrek. I believe the ECU and programming is identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Did you get the Tactrix 2.0 to work with the SSM?

·
Registered
136 Posts

This.

I deal with Impreza and Crosstrek ROM's every day and I can tell you for a fact that they are identical. Or I should say the maps/tables I have access to through my tuning software are identical.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
This.

I deal with Impreza and Crosstrek ROM's every day and I can tell you for a fact that they are identical. Or I should say the maps/tables I have access to through my tuning software are identical.
Question - now that we have established that FB20 ROMs are the same regardless of car, how about model year? Does a MY13 have the same default mappings as a MY15? It would be interesting to find out if Subaru tweaks anything between model years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Question - now that we have established that FB20 ROMs are the same regardless of car, how about model year? Does a MY13 have the same default mappings as a MY15? It would be interesting to find out if Subaru tweaks anything between model years.
Good question, so I investigated. I looked as some of the earlier ROM's and some of the later ROM's in the 12-16 year range and interestingly, there were some small but noticeable differences. A gross oversimplification would be that the earlier ones have the edge power wise, while the later ones have the edge fuel economy wise. Differences in CL/OL transition, fuel maps, timing maps, VVT maps etc. I don't want to hijack Twiddler's thread, but would be happy to post some pics if asked to.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Good question, so I investigated. I looked as some of the earlier ROM's and some of the later ROM's in the 12-16 year range and interestingly, there were some small but noticeable differences. A gross oversimplification would be that the earlier ones have the edge power wise, while the later ones have the edge fuel economy wise. Differences in CL/OL transition, fuel maps, timing maps, VVT maps etc. I don't want to hijack Twiddler's thread, but would be happy to post some pics if asked to.
Thanks!

How about starting another thread with those findings? It would be interesting as well if owners of multiple model years saw the same thing in terms of how it drives.

As for appliability to Twiddler's original issue, I believe helping understand what's in the ROM will help in the end... maybe not for this very issue, but it helps everyone understand what's in there as well as explain a few things between model years - especially when it comes to expectations and how they drive.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have been looking at some maps i pulled feom the ROMRAIDER site to compare them to a FB25.

Als have looked at the CL/OL transition as it takes forever and a day to go Open Loop on my car.

One thing, the APPS only goes to 80%, and the counter dissable needs 100% on the APPS.... so, dropping that value to 79% could shorten the transition time to open loop when you put it to the floor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Rallysport is correct, the values in the individual maps are the same, so in theory, you could unplug ECMs and just swap them. That would be easier than transfering all the data from one ROM to another just to match the ROM version in the ECM.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to post here that I resolved my cylinder 3 misfire by changing out the engine with the one from my parts car. I was hoping to sell the parts car engine to recoup some cost, but instead I have solved my nagging issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts