Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 Crosstrek Premium with Eyesight, I'm not a big fan of the Headunit and looking at salvage places I can get a '17 Impreza Sport Headunit (8inch w/o. NAV) for a decent price. Has anyone done a swap like this? It looks like it fits physically but I don't know if all the features would work. I also looked into 3rd party aftermarket but I want to stick with the Subaru branded ones.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,463 Posts
I haven't seen anyone report doing that but I don't see why it wouldn't work as they are almost the same car. I think the only difference between the HUs is the screen size, though, so that's all you'd be gaining.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen anyone report doing that but I don't see why it wouldn't work as they are almost the same car. I think the only difference between the HUs is the screen size, though, so that's all you'd be gaining.
that's my thinking, SXM might not but overall it's pretty much identical

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread but for the sake of anyone looking to do a similar swap in the future. I swapped my 6.5" 2019 premium screen with a 8" 2019 Limited (non-nav) I got from a salvage yard. All connectors the same. Simple swap, worth the $100. Screen is better quality aside from being larger. No more ghosting.
Did you have to have the new head unit programmed to your car? Was it expensive?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you have to have the new head unit programmed to your car? Was it expensive?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No reprogramming, all done in my garage at home. 100% plug and play. Note that I only replaced the head unit, not the black box bolted to the same bracket above the head unit in the dash (don't know what it's called or what function it serves). Even managed to upgrade firmware OTA after downloading the Aha app and connecting my phone via usb.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
No reprogramming, all done in my garage at home. 100% plug and play. Note that I only replaced the head unit, not the black box bolted to the same bracket above the head unit in the dash (don't know what it's called or what function it serves). Even managed to upgrade firmware OTA after downloading the Aha app and connecting my phone via usb.
With the Limited's, you should be able to do the firmware update via Wi-Fi. I haven't tried it with Aha - would that not work on the Premium HU?

What version did you get?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
30 Posts
Im new to Subarus and this forum but didnt they change something with the head unit going from 17-18. I was looking at swapping mine out with a Idatalink Mystro kit but for the Crosstrek it only goes to the 17. Will a kit work from an Impreza?

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Im new to Subarus and this forum but didnt they change something with the head unit going from 17-18. I was looking at swapping mine out with a Idatalink Mystro kit but for the Crosstrek it only goes to the 17. Will a kit work from an Impreza?
Yes, with the Crosstreks. The Impreza got the new Harman HU for '17, the Crosstrek for '18. A '17+ Impreza HU (or kit) should work in an '18+ Crosstrek.

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
28 Posts
With the Limited's, you should be able to do the firmware update via Wi-Fi. I haven't tried it with Aha - would that not work on the Premium HU?

What version did you get?
I never tried wifi, just hit System Update while I was going through the menu after the install and followed the prompt to download Aha on my phone. Don't have the version offhand but I'll look when I get a chance.

I never tried checking for updates on the premium HU as I've only had the vehicle a couple weeks.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anyone is curious I got the swap to work. So my '18 Crosstrek Premium (6inch) swapped with a '17 Impreza Sport (8inch) works except for SXM, which was obvious since the '18 Premium didn't support it so there's no cable for it. But annoyingly CarPlay doesn't work, Android Auto works just not Carplay. The USB disconnects intermittently every minute or so. So no charging and data connection. I'm still working on that. But everything else works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anyone is curious I got the swap to work. So my '18 Crosstrek Premium (6inch) swapped with a '17 Impreza Sport (8inch) works except for SXM, which was obvious since the '18 Premium didn't support it so there's no cable for it. But annoyingly CarPlay doesn't work, Android Auto works just not Carplay. The USB disconnects intermittently every minute or so. So no charging and data connection. I'm still working on that. But everything else works.
Maybe updating the firmware would help

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
That was my first response but it would forever to "connecting to server please wait" I might give it another shot. I tried both Wifi and Aha App. I kinda what to avoid the dealer for now
What is the current version?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts