Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunroof exploded. 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Driving home on a mild winter day +4 Celsius. Heard a loud bang and center area near front edge of sunroof exploded. I shut the inside cover to stop glass from falling inside. Photos have been sent to dealer. Awaiting response.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
948 Posts
This has been a problem mainly with Hyundai/Kia. Sunroofs made of laminated glass eliminates this potential problem. Subaru uses laminated glass in the Forester and Ascent sunroofs; however, Crosstrek sunroofs are tempered (not laminated) glass.

You might find these Consumer Reports articles of interest:

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
425 Posts
Our Hyundai and Subaru both came with sunroofs, neither were really wanted, and I haven't had any problem with them. Our Hyundai Sonata sunroof hasn't been recalled. The sunroof warranty has been extended although Hyundai hasn't admitted any manufacturing problem. Hyundai insists that the reason for sunroof breakage probably has been things like foreign object damage. Hyundai has suggested that phenomena such as a flying rock that bounces well ahead of your car, goes out of sight, then lands on top of the sunroof could shatter it. Hyundai's extended warranty letter recommends driving with the inner sunroof shade closed when not using the sunroof. I don't doubt that making the glass very cold would make the glass more vulnerable. You should pursue your report to Subaru as it still might be defective glass or mounting that contributed to it. I prefer laminated glass and I'm sorry to hear that Crosstreks use tempered glass. I'll have to take time to read the Consumer Reports articles Subaru Bill suggests.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,446 Posts
Ours is now always closed with a solar panel inside... ?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Difference in temperatures is to blame.
Cold car and heat concentrates under the roof and the glass breaks.
On first gen Crosstrek as far as I remember the sunroof was made of plastic not glass and it just deformed and blew up.
Cold climate is not good for our car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On my 2019 Limited, manufactured date 6/19 I couldn’t tell you what the glass is except the bug stating Nippon Safety. I have a laminated windshield and two types of tempered side windows. Roof bug included.
E620B4BC-F2DF-416E-8D92-2AD821BB9ADE.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
3 Posts
Sunroof exploded. 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Driving home on a mild winter day +4 Celsius. Heard a loud bang and center area near front edge of sunroof exploded. I shut the inside cover to stop glass from falling inside. Photos have been sent to the dealer. Awaiting response.
This exact thing happened to me. It was a cool/cold morning (37 ish) but the sun came out. By lunchtime, the interior of my car was close to 80 degrees F. I was cruising down an empty highway when "BAM!", the sunroof exploded and glass rained down on me. I ducked and ended up swerving off the road because I literally thought someone shot my car. Nope, the sunroof just spontaneously exploded. It's almost impossible that this occurred due to an impact. The glass was broken and bowed up behind my cargo basket. There were no trees or cars anywhere near me. My car is only 4,000 miles old so that also rules out any previous damage/maintenance issues/fatigue. I took it to the dealership and am awaiting word on what will be done.

Has this happened to anyone else?!

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Apparently, and probably how you found this forum. Sorry, and welcome! ?

This is only the second one I've seen reported and we also have a moonroof. Ours is often parked here, in the sun, in SoCal, and we've been up in the mountains (13F overnight) and the desert 120F+

What does your dealer say?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
3 Posts
Apparently, and probably how you found this forum. Sorry, and welcome! ?

This is only the second one I've seen reported and we also have a moonroof. Ours is often parked here, in the sun, in SoCal, and we've been up in the mountains (13F overnight) and the desert 120F+

What does your dealer say?
Thanks! I've been meaning to join a Subaru forum... however it is unfortunate that this was the impetus.

Re dealer follow-up:
The dealer insisted that there was some sort of impact. Though they acknowledged that there was some sort of "explosion" (the glass was clearly bowed-up) and heat/cold compression my have been a catalyst, they were convinced the glass breaking was the result of some impact (i.e. a rock kicked-up from another car). Nothing is impossible but I cannot see how something hit the top of my car with no vehicle, person, or other inanimate objects near.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Thanks! I've been meaning to join a Subaru forum... however it is unfortunate that this was the impetus.

Re dealer follow-up:
The dealer insisted that there was some sort of impact. Though they acknowledged that there was some sort of "explosion" (the glass was clearly bowed-up) and heat/cold compression my have been a catalyst, they were convinced the glass breaking was the result of some impact (i.e. a rock kicked-up from another car). Nothing is impossible but I cannot see how something hit the top of my car with no vehicle, person, or other inanimate objects near.
Looks like you're in the US so try contacting Subaru. Often dealers don't want to be bothered (or they want to charge you more money).

Or sue the squirrels... ?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
3 Posts
Subaru of America was contacted and the dealer was encouraged (by me) to contact the warranty department/ corporate. Subaru of America told me they would assign someone to look into the matter. They were VERY responsive, understanding, and action oriented.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
1 Posts
This exact thing happened to me. It was a cool/cold morning (37 ish) but the sun came out. By lunchtime, the interior of my car was close to 80 degrees F. I was cruising down an empty highway when "BAM!", the sunroof exploded and glass rained down on me. I ducked and ended up swerving off the road because I literally thought someone shot my car. Nope, the sunroof just spontaneously exploded. It's almost impossible that this occurred due to an impact. The glass was broken and bowed up behind my cargo basket. There were no trees or cars anywhere near me. My car is only 4,000 miles old so that also rules out any previous damage/maintenance issues/fatigue. I took it to the dealership and am awaiting word on what will be done.

This literally happened to me TODAY! I have a 2019 Subary Crosstrek. I wasn't driving behind anyone and I heard the loud THUMP and looked around to not see anything or anyone behind me then I heard a crackling sound from my roof and I went to slightly peak at my sunroof to get a glimpse of the broken window! I pulled over to fully inspect and saw the entire sunroof window shattered! I'm in such shock it happened. Unfortunately the dealership is about 45 minutes away and I won't be able to go for a couple days but I'm afraid if I drive my car, the window will break into chunks and hit other vehicles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts