Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunroof exploded. 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Driving home on a mild winter day +4 Celsius. Heard a loud bang and center area near front edge of sunroof exploded. I shut the inside cover to stop glass from falling inside. Photos have been sent to dealer. Awaiting response.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
544 Posts
This has been a problem mainly with Hyundai/Kia. Sunroofs made of laminated glass eliminates this potential problem. Subaru uses laminated glass in the Forester and Ascent sunroofs; however, Crosstrek sunroofs are tempered (not laminated) glass.

You might find these Consumer Reports articles of interest:

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
164 Posts
Our Hyundai and Subaru both came with sunroofs, neither were really wanted, and I haven't had any problem with them. Our Hyundai Sonata sunroof hasn't been recalled. The sunroof warranty has been extended although Hyundai hasn't admitted any manufacturing problem. Hyundai insists that the reason for sunroof breakage probably has been things like foreign object damage. Hyundai has suggested that phenomena such as a flying rock that bounces well ahead of your car, goes out of sight, then lands on top of the sunroof could shatter it. Hyundai's extended warranty letter recommends driving with the inner sunroof shade closed when not using the sunroof. I don't doubt that making the glass very cold would make the glass more vulnerable. You should pursue your report to Subaru as it still might be defective glass or mounting that contributed to it. I prefer laminated glass and I'm sorry to hear that Crosstreks use tempered glass. I'll have to take time to read the Consumer Reports articles Subaru Bill suggests.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,262 Posts
Ours is now always closed with a solar panel inside... 😸

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,262 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts