Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help:)

I have Subaru XV Hybrid 2014 unfortunately after accident.
I rebuilded them but without active grill shutter because motor was lost, so I couldn't rebuild them:(

3.jpg
4.jpg

Hybrid system works fine.
I've seen 2 faults on instruments (CHECK ENGINE and HILL assist).

1.jpg
2.jpg

I connected computer and I see only one fault in engine:
U0284 Lost Communication With Active Grille Shutter Module "A"

Is it possible that lack of this active grille shutter is responsible for these 2 faults on instruments?
On the central display I can see "Emission control system needs to be checked" and "Hill start assist needs to be checked"

Can somebody check if these two faults are visible on instruments when you disconnect connector from active grille shutter in your car? It would be very helpfull. Unfortunately is it imposible to get this active grille shutter in my country and I want to be sure before importing this part from US.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I have a 2014 hybrid xv. I just installed a SSD light bar and took out the active shutter. Once I started the car, it gave me the CEL and Hill Assist error.

I got the same error you got.; took out the sensor and still got the error.

I installed back the sensor, and got sn error that the active shutter over rotates.

I wad about to lose hope and ready to take out the light bar and reinstall the active shutter... I thought what if I cut the active shutter and leave the motor, sensor and part if tge shutter... this would trick the computer that I stil have the active shutter. It worked! No more CEL, no more errors. I hid the cut active shutter behind the bumper and now everything is good and running.

So you definitely need the active shutter to get rid of those errors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I googled Subaru Active Shutter and it shows me that the assembly is $200 in California. You could probably get help from your dealership.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I noticed this today too. I removed the grille shutter to make room for a winch and a steel off-road bumper, and I get the same two warnings on the dash. It's weird that a shutter designed for aerodynamics would have any effect on the emissions control or the hill start system. I suppose it helps the engine warm up faster, but living in Southern California I don't care much about that.

I'm hoping to find some way to trick the car into suppressing these warnings, because it makes the warning system useless in the event that a real problem occurs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought it might be simple to remove the motor from the grill shutter and ziptie it somewhere. This works until the motor activates, at which point it spins too far because the shutter isn't there to stop it. This throws a different error code P05A1 which means excessive rotation.

This motor has 3 wires. It has +12v and GND all the time and the third wire is for LIN communication. Does anybody know how to hack the LIN system to make it ignore a device?

shutter.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts