Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have the installation manual for the USA Aero Cross Bar (P/N E361SFJ100). I ordered this part on eBay and it doesn't come with instructions. I know it is straight forward, but I want to make sure I install it correctly to reduce noise and get better MPG then if they were installed incorrectly. Any links, pdfs, or pictures would be greatly appreciated. :D

On a side note has anyone ever used Thule 881, Thule 883, or Thule Hull-a-port with these OEM USA Aero crossbars? I want to get something that works well with the Aero crossbar for my kayak. Any information would be super helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
It's easy nothing to it remember longer arm goes to the front
Shorter arm to the back
And the bars are rounded ( tear drop shape )
Thicker part of bar facing front
Thinner part of bar facing rear

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Mine are fitted like this ( front just behind sunroof ) and they are quiet with no effect to mileage
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ScoobyXV-L for your input. I just thought Id ask because I heard stories of people not setting it up right and getting more wind resistance thus causing more noise and worse MPG due to improper placement.

Has anyone tried using Thule products on the OEM Aero crossbar, more specifically any Kayak Thule products. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Sorry to say but the oem cross bars do affect mileage and make noise at highway speeds. It helps to mount the front bar as far back as possible when not carrying stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jamesxv - Thanks for the heads up!

JAHYMA - Thanks for the link, really like your set up, looks nice!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Sorry to say but the oem cross bars do affect mileage and make noise at highway speeds. It helps to mount the front bar as far back as possible when not carrying stuff.
Not really
I have the OEM roof across bars on my XV
And my wife hasn't
And we get the exactly same mileage
And I don't get any more wind noise at all
Sunroof up or open my OEM bars haven't made any difference mileage or noise

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Yeah, maybe if you are going 30mph all the time ... lol. Wind noise is there at highway speeds (the faster you go the louder it is obviously). I would say conservatively you give up at least 2 mpg. It's not rocket science ... you'll gonna pay a little if you are making your vehicle less aerodynamic. I've been keeping mine on and don't mind paying the surcharge.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
No going at 110 km there's no difference
In my XV ( with OEM bars)
And wife's XV ( Nothing )
Don't forget I got both to compare I get proof every time we drive
Bars make ABSOLUTLY no different with sound or mileage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I got the bars I haven't noticed any excess noise and still getting really good MPG. Really happy with them. As for the kayak mounting, I decided on getting the Yakima Mako Aero saddles, should be arriving the end of the week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Thule aero bars, I highly recommend them. If you want some pics look at my last write up "My first adventure" under the general discussion, should be near the top.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's impossible for them to have zero effect on gas mileage. They will effect economy. Comparing the fuel economy of one vehicle to another will not give an accurate comparison, especially given different drivers.

If you want to see the true effect on fuel economy, drive for a couple tanks worth of gas with the cross bars and without. This will be more accurate, though still subject to changes in driving style, terrain, etc.

But there's no way crossbars will absolutely not change one's fuel economy, though it may be negligible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Question for all OEM Aero owners. Does your passenger side bar seem loose? I took mine off thinking they didn't get the screws tight enough but they seem to have a spacer that keeps them from getting any tighter. I'm talking about the two adjustment screws on the bottom of the blade not the top screw. If I grab my basket and wiggle it that limb on the bar moves a considerable amount where as none of the other three sides do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is so it can adjust to the width of the rails, wider in the front, narrower towards the rear of the car. Take a measuring tape & you will notice the difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
All this talk of more noise or less fuel economy,if your worried about it and not carrying anything on the roof take them off,if your not worried about it leave them on.:) Or leave the car at home and ride your bike.

Reactions: XVSUB

·
Registered
12 Posts
(Useless reply (!)) - reading the mileage comments has me smiling ... I just bought the (manual 5-speed) XV after putting 110,000 miles on a 5.3L Silverado "Z71"! Mileage was AT LEAST in the "double digits".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question for all OEM Aero owners. Does your passenger side bar seem loose? I took mine off thinking they didn't get the screws tight enough but they seem to have a spacer that keeps them from getting any tighter. I'm talking about the two adjustment screws on the bottom of the blade not the top screw. If I grab my basket and wiggle it that limb on the bar moves a considerable amount where as none of the other three sides do.
I had the same concern.

My conclusion is that they're just not particularly rigid. I mean - they're only rated for 150 lbs, which makes sense I guess, for the amount they flex at the plastic connectors.

I considered replacing them with a yakima round bar, which seems far more durable - but hey, most of the time it's only lugging around an empty basket!

At least we know it's normal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts