Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had the 3 year service warranty done today on my Subaru XV 2017 (MY18) here in Victoria, Australia and they advised i have a minor Oil Leak coming from the bottom right side of the timing chain cover, but the oil leak is not visible from above, nor any oil leak visible on the drive way.

They said they will need the car for 3 days to remove the engine, and reseal the timing chain cover, which will be covered under warranty. .

This car was purchased brand new on 19th Sept 2017 and is only 3 years old. I am really concerned i am experiencing this issue so soon on a relative new car and wondered what would have caused this problem.

Also, can someone also please advise if this is a common issue with the latest Subaru XV models and assure the repairs is nothing to worry about and all will be good or if i should be taking a different approach.

Thank you in advance and much appreciated for any help and advise on this.

Thank you

·
Registered
729 Posts
it's common that cars leak oil. it's not a defect. relax. I have a tiny leak somewhere too according to my mechanic. it does not affect my oil level (I change oil every 10k miles). I can't see any leak and more importantly there's no oil in my driveway. he recommends no action and I concur.

sounds like your mechanic needs the work.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,623 Posts
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry too much about this, at all. This isn't an issue I've seen reported here before, it's a straightforward fix, and the repair is happening at no cost to you. Subarus in general are very reliable, and you can just put this behind you and enjoy your car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It has not been an issue yet with our 2018(at 13k). Since I change the oil in between the dealer, it always gives me a chance to give the car a good once over. It's fantastic your dealer is recognizing the issue and repairing it under warranty. You might consider posting your miles/kms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has not been an issue yet with our 2018(at 13k). Since I change the oil in between the dealer, it always gives me a chance to give the car a good once over. It's fantastic your dealer is recognizing the issue and repairing it under warranty. You might consider posting your miles/kms.
Thanks 11'911

My XV is a (MY18) model purchased brand new in 2017 and has only done about 26,000km. My big concern is why has this happened, what other issues the engine may have and what other issues may occur after the repairs have been made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's common that cars leak oil. it's not a defect. relax. I have a tiny leak somewhere too according to my mechanic. it does not affect my oil level (I change oil every 10k miles). I can't see any leak and more importantly there's no oil in my driveway. he recommends no action and I concur.

sounds like your mechanic needs the work.
Thanks Erader,

I understand it is common for cars to leak oil but my car was purchased brand new in 2017 and has only done 26,000km. My big concern is why has this happened, what other issues the engine may have and what other issues may occur after the repairs have been made. Take out the engine and putting it back in may cause other issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry too much about this, at all. This isn't an issue I've seen reported here before, it's a straightforward fix, and the repair is happening at no cost to you. Subarus in general are very reliable, and you can just put this behind you and enjoy your car!
Thanks Montanan,

My big concern is why has this happened, what other issues the engine may have and what other issues may occur after the repairs have been made. Take out the engine and putting it back in may cause other issues.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks Erader,

I understand it is common for cars to leak oil but my car was purchased brand new in 2017 and has only done 26,000km. My big concern is why has this happened, what other issues the engine may have and what other issues may occur after the repairs have been made. Take out the engine and putting it back in may cause other issues.
well I think you worry too much but that's probably your nature. I just don't see anything abnormal here. good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ours was built mid July 2018 and has done just over 24000kms without issues. I wouldn't be alarmed and personally, I'd be inclined to take them up on their under warranty offer as it may also prevent an issue or save costs in the future. Best wishes with whichever you decide.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,210 Posts
We also have an '18 purchased in 2017 and no issues. As others have posted, this is not a common problem and, if it were, I'm sure we would have seen some reports of it here. Car manufacturing is complex and difficult and no one does it perfectly. Subaru is better at it that most, and they are taking care of you so relax... 😸

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
661 Posts
The timing chain cover covers the whole width of the engine crossing 6 (?) seams internally. With the mass production assembly lines, it doesn't leave time to make sure the fitting of block components is within the gaskets' ability to seal. At least it's under warranty, as it would be very expensive out of pocket.

artosa

Reactions: SubieSubieDo
1 - 11 of 11 Posts