Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hoping to find a little help towards finding a solution. So my 2018 Crosstrek 6MT (64,000mi) is exibiting all the signs of "torque binding". That is a solid thud/shutter while performing slow tight turns in either direction, once the car has warmed up/acting as if stuck in 4wd Lo. Everything I have been able to find points toward replacing the center differential/viscous coupler, unfortunately I haven't found anything that pertains to the 2018 6MT. Mechanic has tried to diagnose the issue but is unsure of the cause(hasn't run into this issue on the newer 6MT and was told by a local Subaru dealer that the 2018 6MT doesn't have a viscous coupler).

Just wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues with the newer manaul Crosstreks?

· Registered
931 Posts
Have you checked or serviced the rear diff? There is a tsb out on the diff oil, the factory put in too light an oil initially. I changed ours out when the 2018 was new. I would also check the motor and trans mounts have not collapsed. If the driveline geometry is off, ie bad mounts, it can produce clunks or thuds on tight turns.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Haven't done anything with the rear differential yet. I suppose I can start with a fluid change see if it helps.

I've read a little on he cv joint issue, but not sure the problem lies there. The noise is not really a click and doesn't present until everything is warm(10-15 min driving)

Also I should add that my tire maintenence was poor(because I'm an idiot), which is another thing that points toward the center diff.

Thanks again

· Registered
483 Posts

· Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
1,189 Posts
Well Subaru doesn't think the 6MT has a viscous coupling centre differential, it just does..

Quite a few things can clunk. CV joints, worn bushings, sway bars, the rear diff, strut mounts.. I'd check every single suspension component before blaming the transmission, it's quite rare the centre diff fails. Even if/when if it does - the symptom would most likely be a loss of the "locking" ability (worn silicon fluid) more so than "clunks".

Keep us posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts