Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellow Subaru Crosstrek/XV owners.

Stumbled on this video talking about the difference in quality between the blue and black filter it seems like the JDM Tokyo Roki one wins it between them. Video below

One thing I was warned about in the EJ engine series days is to only use a Subaru filter because the aftermarket filters sometimes had incorrect bypass pressure values.

Another fascinating thing I saw was there was actually a procedure to crank the engine without it actually starting in order to prime the oil filter and make the oil pressure light go off since the filter is upside down on top of the engine and cannot be pre-filled so it is better to build oil pressure first before letting the engine start.

No wires or fuses need to be pulled and only involves pushing the accelerator pedal flat to the floor before cranking the engine. The engine then goes into clear flood mode and shuts off the injectors and only cranks over. If you have push to start simply get into Accessory mode first then press the brakes and accelerator down 100% at the same time and only then press Start. The Engine will start as normal as soon as you release the accelerator pedal.

Note from what I can see this clear flood mode does not work on EJ or similar early model engines. It has worked with my 18' XV and in the video a first-generation XV it seems to work. Test it at your own risk.

Video for clear flood mode.

Filter comparison

·
Registered
2018 XV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How many oil filters have you seen fail?.50 years of changing filters zero by me. I want the best filtering one and neither of these is best.
What filter do you deem as the one with the best filtering abilities?

Never really seen an oil filter fail and wasn't the point of the post. Rather the point was to educate about the clear flood mode crank procedure for those that do oil changes themselves.
Furthermore to warn those with EJ engines and potentially FB and FA to carefully consider aftermarket oil filters not because they would fail but rather than they could make your engine develop rod knock and other potential damage due to the bypass valve values not always being the correct ones.

We could even open the discussion if Crosstrek owners should change the oil around 6 months/ 7500km instead if they do plenty of short trips and drive low mileage.

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
413 Posts
I’ve seen oil filters fail. Leave them on long enough in the rust belt states & they’ll start to leak when they rot away. Apparently some people don’t know you have to replace them every now & then or the “Jiffy” lube place down the road ain’t changing them with their 3 minute service. Course on the Trek being on top of the motor maybe this is a non issue?

·
Registered
2018 XV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’ve seen oil filters fail. Leave them on long enough in the rust belt states & they’ll start to leak when they rot away. Apparently some people don’t know you have to replace them every now & then or the “Jiffy” lube place down the road ain’t changing them with their 3 minute service. Course on the Trek being on top of the motor maybe this is a non issue?
Wow didn't even realise it was such an issue:oops: The climate in South Africa is hot and dry so never even heard of that happening to an oil filter. Sure some cars get body rust in the coastal areas.
Quick lube places I have heard plenty of online and what a mess they normally create or use the wrong or inferior oil for your car. Upselling scams to people that know little about cars.

Personally with the cars I have owned always stuck with the oil the dealer puts in and also on oil top-ups always use the same brand and viscosity at all times. Plenty of people will simply accept any oil at a gas station for top-up without even knowing the original viscosity and type the dealer used. On my Subaru, my coolant is always topped up with Distilled water only. Plenty of gas stations simply put tap water in the jug and that is what 90% of people use.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Liimited, 2018 Outback Touring, 2005 WRX
106 Posts
A few years ago Subaru had a bunch of blue filters prone to leaks and had to pull them from the parts departments. The black filters have always been considered superior and that's all I ran in my 2005 WRX until I put it in storage and bought my Crosstrek, which now uses blue filters.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Furthermore to warn those with EJ engines and potentially FB and FA to carefully consider aftermarket oil filters not because they would fail but rather than they could make your engine develop rod knock and other potential damage due to the bypass valve values not always being the correct ones.

We could even open the discussion if Crosstrek owners should change the oil around 6 months/ 7500km instead if they do plenty of short trips and drive low mileage.
Fram ultra filters at 20 microns at 99% whereas others like subaru filter at 30 to 40 microns. The bypass is not an issue. Fram knows that and my 2008 forester with 217 K Miles knows that.
I won't argue the issue as it becomes contentious. It someone wants me to explain it. PM me.

Do whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,348 Posts
I’ve seen oil filters fail. Leave them on long enough in the rust belt states & they’ll start to leak when they rot away.
Well yeah, leave any oil filter on "long enough" and it will......umm......clog up and be ineffective. This has nothing to do with brand.

IMO, it is pointless and stupid to change your oil without changing your filter. What is the point of putting fresh clean oil in and then having all the gunk in your filter immediately contaminate your oil as soon as you start your car?

Reactions: sas-XV
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.