Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great deal of searching, I was able to order the rear dog/cargo barrier for my XV.

These are unavailable in the US accessory catalog, but I really wanted one for safety reasons (you don't want cargo flying forward at 60+ mph during a sudden stop or accident). The "generic"/universal fit ones look awful to me, so I went through the effort of trying to get one from overseas.

Mark at Hammond Subaru was awesome to deal with and was able to get me one shipped to the US.

The total was $396 shipped to my home on the west coast US. Not cheap, but in my opinion well worth it for the safety this accessory provides, and for the superior fit and quality of Subaru OEM.

Mark's email is [email protected] I have no affiliation with the dealership, but just found him helpful and easy to deal with, so I'd recommend them if you can't find a more convenient way to get these.

Any questions about this, just post in the thread and I'll do my best to answer them!

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Hardtop

·
Registered
178 Posts
Although we do not have a dog, we have been considering getting one for our family. Thank you for taking the time to post this information. Based on the picture alone, the product looks to be of high quality and a great fit.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Nice addition. I'd imagine with currency exchange and a VAT charge (Value Added Tax) added even though it's leaving the country, plus shipping it's not a bad deal if you take all that into consideration. An OEM dog guard for the 2014 Forester runs about $300, maybe can be got for a little less.

Cheers
Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just purchased a crosstrek and were looking to get this barrier from Hammond group. My dealer is telling me that their specs are different and that it might not fit properly. Since it has been a little bit since your last post, have you had any issues or problems with fit after it using for a while?

·
Registered
20 Posts
First you lay your rear seats down, that exposes the metal bar that the seats clip in to. You slide a bracket that has threads on both sides and then you fold the seats back into place. This leaves a threaded rod that is used to tighten the dog guard into place. The guard has two feet that rest on the small window and then that threaded bar gets tightened onto the dog guard. When you tighten the knob that screws on to the bar, the whole barrier is pulled down towards the seat and is tightened. Hard to explain without a picture, the directions that it came with were great.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is the Milford version we get here in Australia. These are legendary in 4WD circles here. Nearly everyone who seriously offroads has one. They're a little more agricultural than the one shown already, but an advantage is that they are able to be fitted behind either the rear seats OR front seats. This lets you use the whole luggage area to the full. You are also protected right down to the floor, rather than just the area above the seat. A heavy object can fly right through a seat back if you're not lucky.

Product Cargo Barriers - Subaru - XV Hatch - 705100

Auto part

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Milford barrier has also saved many lives in rollover accidents here. They're that strong - and will go a long way towards supporting the roof when you're...uhmm... on it.

I'm not sure, but I think that Milford might even have a distributor in the States. Make an enquiry! :)

EDIT: Yes! http://www.loadbarrier.com/default.htm

Loadbarrier.com is the North American (U.S.A., Canada, Mexico) representative for Milford Industries cargo barrier products. Milford Industries is privately held Australian company. Protect yourself, your family, your employees, and your dog by installing the only crash rated cargo barrier available.

Reactions: cqaigy and grams

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Nice piece! It should be noted that this is also a perfect addition for those who travel with their mother-in-law.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sorry, forgot to check back in the thread.

To answer some of the questions, I still have the Subaru one in, and it's holding up fine, the mounting system is very secure. The fit is absolutely perfect, and I have had no issues.

There is no drilling required for the install.

The only accessory I can think of that it wouldn't be compatible with would the the side cargo nets...however I solved that by drilling the brackets for the cargo barrier and adding grommets for the cargo net to snap to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually emailed the Hammond Group Subaru in the UK yesterday. I got a response back this morning and I'm waiting to get the Paypal invoice sent to me.

The person who contacted me said they have shipped quite a few to the US. No one is sure why it isn't offered here. 230 GBP shipped here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually emailed the Hammond Group Subaru in the UK yesterday. I got a response back this morning and I'm waiting to get the Paypal invoice sent to me.

The person who contacted me said they have shipped quite a few to the US. No one is sure why it isn't offered here. 230 GBP shipped here.
Got mine the other day from Hammonds in the UK. Thank you for the info. I meant to order it sooner. We installed it in about five minutes using the Subaru paper that comes with it.

Incidentally, I was at the local Subaru dealership yesterday, and they didn't realize it - they recommended coming back during the week when the 'accessory' guy is in, and they wanted $126+ to install. They said it would need drilling but, as poster above said, it does NOT require ANY drilling nor any tools except your own hands!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Car seat Family car

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Windshield

1 - 20 of 32 Posts