Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else successfully updated your head unit using the instructions in the email? I can connect to the personal hotspot on my iphone in a strong signal (5 bars) area but cannot get past the "Check for Updates" screen.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
It works on our '18. I believe you need to be at a certain release level for OTA updates to work but with a 2020 you should be OK. Try a different Wi-Fi connection, or hotspot on your phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2019 Limited here. I got the same email. After reading the attached PDF instructions, it turns out it is the same update that I got last December after a similar email with a link to the Subaru Map Downloader software.

That update took well over an hour. Both versions ate REL_UA.20.41.70.

David

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
2019 Limited here. I got the same email. After reading the attached PDF instructions, it turns out it is the same update that I got last December after a similar email with a link to the Subaru Map Downloader software.

That update took well over an hour. Both versions ate REL_UA.20.41.70.

David
Yeah, seems odd that they are suddenly sending this now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is the info available online somewhere? Base level 2018 6MT. In the past there was no ability to update other than go to the dealer. Has that changed?

I just trash all emails from Subaru, as they are constantly trying to get me to buy a new car or extended warranty or something.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
Is the info available online somewhere? Base level 2018 6MT. In the past there was no ability to update other than go to the dealer. Has that changed?

I just trash all emails from Subaru, as they are constantly trying to get me to buy a new car or extended warranty or something.
I started this thread a while ago:

Only the 8" display HU can do over the air updates. I don't know why Subaru doesn't just post the firmware for anyone to download. I guess dealers want to be able to charge for it.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,233 Posts
I'm guessing that it's actually because of licensing issues related to some of the intellectual property in the software ...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
I'm guessing that it's actually because of licensing issues related to some of the intellectual property in the software ...
Maybe, I just think it's weird that the HU is the only electronic device we own that I can't simply go to the manufacturer's site and download the latest firmware.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I started this thread a while ago:

Only the 8" display HU can do over the air updates. I don't know why Subaru doesn't just post the firmware for anyone to download. I guess dealers want to be able to charge for it.
Yup, seen that thread but it is now 570 posts long, mostly stuff which doesn't seem to apply to my specific car.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
Yup, seen that thread but it is now 570 posts long, mostly stuff which doesn't seem to apply to my specific car.
Yes but I keep the first post updated with latest stuff. Also, since the entire thread is about the Harman Gen 3.0 and 3.1 HUs in MY18+ then almost every post should be related to the HU in your car.

It was an attempt to keep all of the HU info in the same place but it seems like every time someone has a question about the HU (or tires, etc.) they start a new thread. In December, when the last release came out we had, I think, five threads going at the same time about the same thing. Right now there are four with posts in the last couple of weeks...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
102 Posts
One nice change that I noticed after this update:
When using CarPlay and turning the car off, when CarPlay disconnects, it no longer defaults to SiriusXM. Instead it just turns the audio off. The audio remains off when turning on the car again. I prefer this because in my car SiriusXM's volume sounds 5-7 volume increments higher (CarPlay's comfortable volume is around 12-15, SiriusXM's comfortable volume is around 7-10).

I have also noticed CarPlay kicks in much faster than before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts