Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Subaru active air shutter for crosstrek

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
11K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  Bluefoton 
#1 · (Edited)
The other day, I read that newer Subarus on global platform has active air shuttle in the lower grill. It is suppose to reduce air drag and help car warm up faster during winter. I like that idea.
I was getting my wife’s 18 crosstrek premium ready to install Perrin pitch stop and I decided to take a look if our xv has the air shutter. Guess what, nope, it is not installed. I can see the mounting holes and location where shuttle should be mounted. See first picture1

Here is my 20 forester sport. It is closed when parked and engine not running.

now I am disappointed to know Subaru cheap out in our vx.
Can anyone w 18+ xv check and see if they have the air shutter? I looked it up and there is part # and available to purchase. I am seriously considering install the air shutter in our 18 xv.
Thanks in advance.
Btw, it is available for 2015 xv too!

See less See more
#7 ·
Actually, it only block lower 1/3 portion of my forester radiator. Would imagine same for the xv. It should be fine w top grill open only. I wish our xv has this feature a couple years ago when we had a couple days temp was -20F. Cvt would not shift past 5th gear equivalent ratio. If it has the shutter, the cvt temp would prob get over 90F and shift.

#23 ·
Even if the wiring is there it will have to be activated in the ECU. It likely is not turned on for cars that do not have it or you would get an error code for the missing shudders.

#24 ·
Thank you for your advice. Like your said, just because it is there, it does not mean it is ready to use. Otherwise, it would be like the fog light, it would be an option for dealer install.
However, I have been lucky with several non-option add-ons. with our old old Honda and prior Subarus. So, if the harness/plug is there, I am going to give it a try. I really hate the cvt not shifting to higher ratio in winter issue. If it does not work, I will get a acrylic board and block off the lower intake during the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.