Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day, I read that newer Subarus on global platform has active air shuttle in the lower grill. It is suppose to reduce air drag and help car warm up faster during winter. I like that idea.
I was getting my wife’s 18 crosstrek premium ready to install Perrin pitch stop and I decided to take a look if our xv has the air shutter. Guess what, nope, it is not installed. I can see the mounting holes and location where shuttle should be mounted. See first picture1

Here is my 20 forester sport. It is closed when parked and engine not running.

now I am disappointed to know Subaru cheap out in our vx.
Can anyone w 18+ xv check and see if they have the air shutter? I looked it up and there is part # and available to purchase. I am seriously considering install the air shutter in our 18 xv.
Thanks in advance.
Btw, it is available for 2015 xv too!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is active shutter. It will be controlled by the ecu. Will be open or shut when engine is cold or when it is on highway. So, it will be activated by computer, not by me.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
353 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking about painting it w white shark teeth.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting feature but curious if you get a warning when the shutter fails to open during hot weather driving.... I'm not sure I want to rely on more electronics just to shave off a few minutes of engine warm up time.
I'd forgo the shutter for a real temp gauge in the cluster.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting feature but curious if you get a warning when the shutter fails to open during hot weather driving.... I'm not sure I want to rely on more electronics just to shave off a few minutes of engine warm up time.
Actually, it only block lower 1/3 portion of my forester radiator. Would imagine same for the xv. It should be fine w top grill open only. I wish our xv has this feature a couple years ago when we had a couple days temp was -20F. Cvt would not shift past 5th gear equivalent ratio. If it has the shutter, the cvt temp would prob get over 90F and shift.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
822 Posts
I don't think Subaru "cheaped" out. I'm sure there is an engineering design/reason they didn't put it on the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think Subaru "cheaped" out. I'm sure there is an engineering design/reason they didn't put it on the Crosstrek.
Need to ask you a small favor. Since you are in Canada, can you check if it is on your crosstrek?
also, it is on all 19+ forester premium and higher and all 20+ legacy and outback. Some members from impreza forum saying it is on the 17+ limited.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s for aero purposes. Closes at highway speeds to improve gas mileage. They are not prone to breaking because it’s just an electric motor and they are very reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
822 Posts
Need to ask you a small favor. Since you are in Canada, can you check if it is on your crosstrek?
also, it is on all 19+ forester premium and higher and all 20+ legacy and outback. Some members from impreza forum saying it is on the 17+ limited.
Not on mine either. I think it's on the Hybrids though, for aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to bluefuton and Arthur. Not what I want to hear. But your confirmation is appreciated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
lol if you believe this, I have a FORD to sell you.

Every brand is the same at this level. Everything is to save a dollar and get a better "rating" in other categories. Engineers do this stuff on purpose.

·
Registered
607 Posts
it is active shutter. It will be controlled by the ecu. Will be open or shut when engine is cold or when it is on highway. So, it will be activated by computer, not by me.
I understand what you are trying to do but just because the global cars have this option doesn't mean that it will work here. Wiring harnesses are not even the same so chances of it working are not that good.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I understand what you are trying to do but just because the global cars have this option doesn't mean that it will work here. Wiring harnesses are not even the same so chances of it working are not that good.
^this. Control wiring and ECU programming needs to be there. Doubt you have it. Also find it funny you want to add it. Most of the people I know with cars that have it want to take them off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I will check for the harness when I do the oil change on our xv in September. Good news is the active grill shutter is available in US to order around $130-$140.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts