Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, I happened to notice this spot on the bumper on the driver's side. It was hard to get a good picture. It has a iridescent hue to it. It almost looks like something has bled from something. I was able to wipe it off with water but now it's back! I didn't drive anywhere for a few days, so it was in my driveway and there is nothing around it. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
149 Posts
If you can wipe it off it sounds environmental - something splashing on it, dripping on it, rubbed against it?

Do you have some kind of wrap on the car, like a coating sheet (or whatever they are called)? Could that be working loose and you wiping it temporarily pressed it back against the body?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
402 Posts
Is it right below the drivers door? Could be the dye from your blue jeans rubbing on the panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can wipe it off it sounds environmental - something splashing on it, dripping on it, rubbed against it?

Do you have some kind of wrap on the car, like a coating sheet (or whatever they are called)? Could that be working loose and you wiping it temporarily pressed it back against the body?
No wrap and I don't think it is actually going away, I think the wet just makes it dark and when it dries it shows it again. weird.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That area is where the drain hole at the bottom of the door lines up. If your car is still relatively new there is probably still overspray draining out from inside the door (from rain, condensation, etc).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That area is where the drain hole at the bottom of the door lines up. If your car is still relatively new there is probably still overspray draining out from inside the door (from rain, condensation, etc).
This makes the most sense. The car is a 2018 but only had 3400 miles on it. The person that had it leased it and with covid she wasn't going to work so she turned it back in. How can I fix it and/or get the bumper back to it's former glory?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This makes the most sense. The car is a 2018 but only had 3400 miles on it. The person that had it leased it and with covid she wasn't going to work so she turned it back in. How can I fix it and/or get the bumper back to it's former glory?
Try something a little gentler like isopropyl alcohol first.
If that doesn't work, then try a super fine grit rubbing compound. That should work too. Shouldn't be harsh enough to remove any paint or plastic.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A good wash with car wash soap, or an all purpose cleaner. Maybe a clay bar.

If that doesn't work you could try a trim dressing like Solution Finish, but you might have to go over all the plastics to make it match.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
153 Posts
You put sun screen on your legs? Couple be that if your legs are rubbing against it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts