Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
773 Posts
I've always been curious about why people lift as it doesn't increase the ground clearance. Better approach angle, perhaps, or able to add bigger tires without rubbing.
It does improve grounds clearance. I'm assuming you're referring to the rear subframe drop spacers? If so, you're correct that a 2" lift with the rear drop will not lift all of the car's components 2", but it does lift almost everything except the rear subframe 2", and it looks to me like the low point stock is the CVT pan area. I have certainly had a lot of impacts there prior to lifting. The better approach angle and clearance is very noticeable for what I do. I went from having hits on the skid plates that needed to be pounded out after almost every trip, to not even having any hits at all on many trips.

It'll never be as capable as a stock 4runner, but it's also cheaper and averages 26 MPGs. I think there's a straw man argument that gets brought up a lot in this discussion, like you either get a Wrangler to rock crawl, or you're a poser who doesn't know that his little CUV with KO2s isn't a rock crawler. The fact is that most people's use case is somewhere in between. A lifted Subaru with mild tires is incredibly capable without a lot of the drawbacks of a "true 4x4."

And, of course there's plenty of folks who put KO2 and a MR502s on with a lift just for the look, but there's a lot of shiny Jeeps out there who never leave pavement too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand your concern when traveling alone but I wish the winch was removable for the 360 other days that I know I wont need it.
I thought about using a rear hitch mounted winch but since I tow a trailer more than I might use the winch I decided to try it out on the front. I can always take out the winch bar and winch but doing so will leave a hole in the bumper cover. Since I retired about the same time as the pandemic I don't do much more than casual driving (<5K miles per year) so having it always there is not a big deal.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,824 Posts
And, of course there's plenty of folks who put KO2 and a MR502s on with a lift just for the look, but there's a lot of shiny Jeeps out there who never leave pavement too.
You should see the tricked out Range Rovers here that only go off road when they enter the Whole Foods parking lot... :rolleyes:

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
831 Posts
I thought about using a rear hitch mounted winch but since I tow a trailer more than I might use the winch I decided to try it out on the front. I can always take out the winch bar and winch but doing so will leave a hole in the bumper cover. Since I retired about the same time as the pandemic I don't do much more than casual driving (<5K miles per year) so having it always there is not a big deal.
It's all good. When I go off road I carry a 1 ton rated come-along with the fantasy that I will be able to twist, shove, pull my way out of any minor problem the idiot driver manages to get the Crosstrek stuck into. Probably the most important pieces of my emergency bag in the hatch aren't in the bag at all but are my cell phone and my hand held Ham device...and some chocolate, lots of chocolate.

Archimedes said, 'If you give me a lever and a place to stand, I can move the world.' but you need more, you need chocolate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Probably the most important pieces of my emergency bag in the hatch aren't in the bag at all but are my cell phone and my hand held Ham device...and some chocolate, lots of chocolate.
Ha! Amen Brother on the chocolate!

I also am a ham and have a mobile unit in the car. But I also carry a PLB (personal locator beacon) that can summon rescue from anywhere I go. I added another device from Zoleo that is a 2 way messaging unit. It will send my location to a family member on a regular basis and will also let me send txt msgs using satellites or cell towers. It can also send an SOS via satellite.

I am a belt/suspender, two is one, one is none kinda guy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should see the tricked out Range Rovers here that only go off road when they enter the Whole Foods parking lot... :rolleyes:
And the G-Wagon with gerry cans on the back and a shovel on the side driven by the grey-haired 70-year-old lady.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The crosstrek is a car, I repeat a car. If you want an off-road vehicle, go buy a jeep.
I can guarantee that my old Toyota has seen more back road and off road than 90% of the Jeeps and all the other off-road rated vehicles.

Strangely enough, I put more miles on the Chinook last year than I did on my Crosstrek, the whole Covid thing being what it was/is and working from home since March 2020.

·
Registered
2019 Premium - Sunshine Orange, 2021 Premium - Blue Khaki
19 Posts
I've always been curious about why people lift as it doesn't increase the ground clearance. Better approach angle, perhaps, or able to add bigger tires without rubbing.
A 2' SST Lift kit literally gave my car almost 2 inches of additional ground clearance. Yes, I measured.

·
Registered
2021 Magnetite Grey Metallic Limited
46 Posts
This is all I'm going to say/post when someone says that a Crosstrek lifted and with proper tires isn't an efficient off-road machine...wait for it to rescue a 4Runner and then clear the obstacle the 4Runner got stuck on, to everyone's disbelief. Granted it's an Outback, but what's the difference...a longer wheelbase and possibly a stronger engine?

RalliTEK's 2018 Lifted Outback @ NW Overland Rally 2018

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
13 Posts
First off, I know the author, Wes. He's smart, he walks the walk, and he's a talented writer. He's not wrong. I put 15" Methods and KO2s on my 2018 Crosstrek partly because I liked what he did to his Outback. Normally, going minus 2 on a wheel and tire fitment will lower your weight...if you stay with the same type and construction for the wheels and the tires. The KO2s are seriously heavy, as you can see below, weighing 8 lbs more than the stock 17" Yokohamas. Fortunately the Methods shaved some weight, but the overall package added 5.5 pounds per corner in unsprung weight.

Secondly, living in the Northeast, the KO2s become hockey pucks when the temp drops below 45 degrees. While the tread pattern is good in deep snow, they are horrendous on packed snow and even wet roads when the temps are low. I've switched to a dedicated winter tire this year and going to an all-new A/T tire that is coming out in May. Lighter weight, better rain and snow performance, quieter and yet they still look aggressive. Will circle back when they are announced.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts
A 2' SST Lift kit literally gave my car almost 2 inches of additional ground clearance. Yes, I measured.
I wasn't clear and maybe I don't understand what has been meant here. I believe you... 😸

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is all I'm going to say/post when someone says that a Crosstrek lifted and with proper tires isn't an efficient off-road machine...wait for it to rescue a 4Runner and then clear the obstacle the 4Runner got stuck on, to everyone's disbelief. Granted it's an Outback, but what's the difference...a longer wheelbase and possibly a stronger engine?

RalliTEK's 2018 Lifted Outback @ NW Overland Rally 2018
And that is REALLY situational. Not to mention so many variables that haven’t been seen or shown. Anyone can create a situation where a “Ferrari” out paced a Jeep off-road. I’m not impressed until it can clear what Jeep calls a “2.5”.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
773 Posts
That 2.5 looks ok to do with my trek. The 3 looks like the kind of thing that I'd scout, and maybe not decide to do. The 3 also looks like I could have some clearance issues.

·
Registered
2021 Magnetite Grey Metallic Limited
46 Posts
And that is REALLY situational. Not to mention so many variables that haven’t been seen or shown. Anyone can create a situation where a “Ferrari” out paced a Jeep off-road. I’m not impressed until it can clear what Jeep calls a “2.5”.
View attachment 304020
Then buy a Jeep. I bought the Crosstrek because it has good manners on the road with some off-road capabilities. I'm simply enhancing those capabilities to better suit my needs. Not to mention a cabin that is comfortable and useable. Have you seen the new Jeep interiors...hello 1990's.

Also, there's this...Subaru Wilderness Trims

·
Registered
2021 CWP XV Ltd.
103 Posts
Unsprung weight is real. This is why I went with the Toyo Open Country AT3s instead of KO2s. To my surprise, I put my stock wheel/tire on a scale out of curiosity and it was 50.4lbs. 15x7 BR Boxers with the AT3s came in at 46.4lbs. The car feels more nimble and more responsive, especially on the highway. I came from a Wrangler where I added 8lbs per corner with my aftermarket setup. The Wrangler felt more sluggish and clumsy. Looked cool though. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why does “ off roading “ always have to mean rock crawling?

People sure get riled up just cause some Subie dudes want to go explore the back country

Been running 215 ko2’s with 2 inch lift and skid plates for over 40k miles with absolutely no issue.
And truthfully, it works

beach dunes, national forests, off road paved roads, exploring the back country to go get some camping in

these Subaru’s are truly great with some added clearance and beefier tires while getting some really good mileage on these trips. “Get a jeep” well, I don’t want terrible gas mileage and don’t want constant problems and I don’t want to rock crawl. Let’s go explore the backcountry with the subarus

·
Registered
244 Posts
Why does “ off roading “ always have to mean rock crawling?

People sure get riled up just cause some Subie dudes want to go explore the back country

Been running 215 ko2’s with 2 inch lift and skid plates for over 40k miles with absolutely no issue.
And truthfully, it works

beach dunes, national forests, off road paved roads, exploring the back country to go get some camping in

these Subaru’s are truly great with some added clearance and beefier tires while getting some really good mileage on these trips. “Get a jeep” well, I don’t want terrible gas mileage and don’t want constant problems and I don’t want to rock crawl. Let’s go explore the backcountry with the subarus
And yet, those same people will be on this forum, complaining that the “crosstrek is a POS” because an axle broke while they were “just exploring”. I’ve seen it with my own eyes man, grown men thinking they have a 4x4. Rock crawling. Dirt trails are fine, rock crawling is a whole nuther sport. I don’t rock crawl. I would never own a keep. I will, however, point out the fallacies of man.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts
τίς τ᾽ ἄρ σφωε θεῶν ἔριδι ξυνέηκε μάχεσθαι;

Reactions: Montanan

·
Registered
13 Posts
This article is way too opinionated to take seriously. He spends more time telling people what he wants them to have rather than simply pointing out the pro's and con's of making certain choices. At least he does offer some alternatives, but again... they are not really "alternative" options, they are what HE says is right.
If someone wants to modify their vehicle to go places it wasn't necessarily meant to go, then so be it. People who do so better be willing to pay the price for fixing/replacing things sooner than usual. That stands to reason for ANY vehicle regardless if it is a Crosstrek or not. I plan to do the very same things he suggests NOT to do. However, I am willing to pay the consequences if need be.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts