Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard from a trustworthy source just what repercussions will result from Subaru bringing the Starlink App to an end in March 2023?

· Registered
894 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Texas and just got the notification that my renewal expires in February and will renew automatically if I don't cancel it. So maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I did cancel it.

· Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,967 Posts
When it comes to Subaru technology implementation that is the understatement of the year, unfortunately.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Forester Premium 2.5i, it did not come equipped with Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Are we all going to be stuck with useless call buttons and pretty much blank screens? What is going to happen to the Automatic Collision Notification feature.? The SOS and collision notification features are why I purchased it.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm Confused and posted #5 and replied with #7. I am new to the forum and just stopped by to voice my amazement by the renewal notice. This was the 1st forum that popped up when I searched.
Have a good night.

· Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2018 Forester Premium 2.5i, it did not come equipped with Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Are we all going to be stuck with useless call buttons and pretty much blank screens? What is going to happen to the Automatic Collision Notification feature.? The SOS and collision notification features are why I purchased it.
The phone app is being discontinued, not StarLink service. The spyware StarLink service and infotainment system in the car will still work as they do now, I would imagine.

My guess is they will be rolling out a MySubraru app update that adds in the useful features from StarLink. No need to maintain two apps if one will suffice.

· Registered
4 Posts
I contacted the customer service number on the Starlink renewal email and was told that if I upgraded from 3G to 5G that my Starlink features will work through My Subaru and those who didn't upgrade won't have access. To confirm I contacted the dealership in Austin and was transferred to sales; I asked about the features and the email stating Starlink App is ending in March 2023. I added that on some forums folks say that if you have Android Auto or Apple Car Play that you don't need Starlink, but Sales said those two have nothing to do with the SOS call and Automatic Collision Notification features. I was transferred to another person and left a voicemail message. So, it looks like gatordoc is correct about the Starlink app going away and us accessing the features through the My Subaru app, but I want to hear it from someone at Subaru just to be sure. I did cancel my plan one month early, now I'm debating if I want to renew it. I did not allow all the permissions the Starlink app requested. I will have to check which permissions the My Subaru app requests because I am also of the opinion that it, like Starlink, could be intrusive. Apps don't need my contacts to play music or give me directions; if I need to call someone I can call when I'm stopped somewhere. Confused, still, in Austin, TX

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm also wondering if there will be an update that will remove the StarLink icon from the screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts