Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to why I would want to turn off the Steering Responsive Headlights on my Limited. Not only is it a cool feature but it really does help on the dark country roads around here.

Is there a reason to turn system off other than personal preference, "I think it is dumb," etc?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My best guess is that's it for those who don't always drive on a road. With the rapid turning an off-raoder might be doing I would suspect if SRH was enabled, the lights would move about in such a manner that anyone watching might mistake it for being a direct descendent of 17th century European royalty, thanks to a pole like family tree.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tell ya, I don't know how I negotiated the mountain roads around here at night without steering responsive headlights.

On a recent trip home, I hit the button a few times (going from activated to deactivated) mid-turn and the difference was very noticeable.

Spirited mountain driving is so much dang fun!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maybe just to give the option.

My last car was a 2016 GTI and it also had the option to turn off the adaptive headlights. Not only that you could adjust how responsive the lights were.

That said I can't think of a time I would turn that function off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im sure someone out there doesnt care for SRH because its a relatively new feature. Some people are creatures of habit; especially those who have driven without SRH for 30+ years. Im amazed at all the people who are sill talking with the phone up their ears in their cars which im fairly positive has bluetooth hands free capability.

·
Registered
481 Posts
For a counter-point, I usually turn them off when I start up in the morning. Most of my driving is suburban/city/freeway, and I generally know where the curbs are. When the visibility is low due to fog, rain, snow, etc., I turn the fogs on. What I dislike, if that's the feeling, is that it takes very little wheel turn to activate them. That has them blinking and winking to the point of distraction. All that said, the few times I've driven country roads, yes, I leave them on and appreciate them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For a counter-point, I usually turn them off when I start up in the morning. Most of my driving is suburban/city/freeway, and I generally know where the curbs are. When the visibility is low due to fog, rain, snow, etc., I turn the fogs on. What I dislike, if that's the feeling, is that it takes very little wheel turn to activate them. That has them blinking and winking to the point of distraction. All that said, the few times I've driven country roads, yes, I leave them on and appreciate them.
Hi Rob, I think you're talking about the SRF or the "Steering Responsive Fog" lights. I believe OP is referring to the SRH or Steering Responsive Headlights which yaw the headlights, as opposed to the SRF, which turn on the applicable fog light on each side depending on your turn.

EDIT: SRH are available on the higher trim(s) and replace SRF found in the lower trims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do the SRH just turn if you are driving? I have them on my new Trek but have not seen any movement if I just turn the wheel?

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Do the SRH just turn if you are driving? I have them on my new Trek but have not seen any movement if I just turn the wheel?
The headlights need to be on and you have to go a certain speed before they start to turn. The inner light (the one closest to the direction of the turn) will turn more based on steering wheel input. It is easiest to see them when it is dark and the lights are shining on an object like a fence or building.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
The headlights need to be on and you have to go a certain speed before they start to turn. The inner light (the one closest to the direction of the turn) will turn more based on steering wheel input. It is easiest to see them when it is dark and the lights are shining on an object like a fence or building.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Drive slowly on a road at night and start to crank your wheel left and right. You'll notice the light advances quicker than the body of the car. Once I got used to them, it's one of those features that I don't really notice it in regular driving. But I have absolutely loved them driving on FSRs at night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts